So I went to a local music shop (Hugo Helmer out of Washington) and I got my first set of EXP's. You know, the coated strings. 80/20 and all that jazz.

Now I usually get Elixers because that's the first Coated strings I ever got, and It's what I was comfortable with. They lasted forever, and I thought well worth the 16 bucks from Guitar Center.

Now Hugo usually bumps up their prices. You can get elixers for a ball busting 18.99. And so I got EXP's because they were only $12.49

But the strings were, in short, terrible. They felt "tight". It was so strange. Like, maybe the metal was brittle, I don't know what would have done that. But they felt as if they were a higher gauge. Now I understand there's probably a slight difference in what manufacturers sell as a .52 string, or whatever, but this felt like it was a .57 or something. (course, I checked it against another .52 and it was identical)

Anyway, I've had a history of getting less than quality strings from this place. I got martin's that died in 3 days (like, seriously went black with no crazy climate shift, or anything weird on my part)

Anyone else have problems with EXP's from a more reputable dealer? Cuz these sucked. They didn't even feel Coated. They just feel like regular strings. And they're totally already dead. like in a week

Also they seem to build up tuns of friction in the nut. So strange.
1966 Stella Harmony Acoustic
Epiphone Dot Studio
Fender Starcaster (Made by 5 year olds in China)
THE Epiphone Mandolin
Dean 7 String (Totally Korean)
Yamaha C45m
Mitchell 12 MD100S

More Strings=More Range=More BadAssery
Hope you guys made it through that novel that I just threw down. HP Style man
1966 Stella Harmony Acoustic
Epiphone Dot Studio
Fender Starcaster (Made by 5 year olds in China)
THE Epiphone Mandolin
Dean 7 String (Totally Korean)
Yamaha C45m
Mitchell 12 MD100S

More Strings=More Range=More BadAssery
I've been using D'Addario EXL's exclusively since I started playing again (about 6 months now). I get them from local GC. I use the EXL120's because I have several Ibeys and the Ibey rep told me they use the EXL120's on the 2 guitars I own. So far, they seem to be doing well for me. No premature wear or breaking, stay in tune real well, and sound good to me (but I'm not a real tone snob yet ). Oh, and the EXL's arwe only like $6.00 USD a set as I recall. I do have a few odd sets so I can try drop tuning one of the guitars eventually, but I haven't tried them yet. None cost more than $7.00 though. If I had paid what you paid, I'd want $ex from them, and not just any old $ex, GOOD $EX! ROFL. But seriously, if mine had cost that, and then crapped out on me that fast, I'd be looking for a replacement for the strings from the store, or I'd be looking for a replacement store.

Then again, maybe you play a bit harder than me too.....