Steely Dan is on the list of my top 10 favorite artists probably. I also like Donald Fagen's solo stuff as well but just wanted to start a discussion on Steely Dan!
Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands. I don't really have an all-time favorite but they are definitely up at the top of my list. I never got into Fagen's solo stuff, aside from The Nightfly. My favorite era was with Can't Buy A Thrill and Countdown To Ecstasy, although I love all their stuff.

Anyways has anyone ever heard Fire In The Hole and Sign In Stranger? Fagen does an amazing job on piano throughout, not to mention the piano solos. If you haven't heard them I'd give them a listen.
@abcdlmnopxyz I agree with everything in your post. Pretzel Logic is another one of my favorite Steely Dan albums. They were in good mindsets during this period of time Fire in the Hole is an awesome song, I haven't heard it in forever! Gotta put that on my Mix playlist so it's in my reputual
I haven't heard any live albums, although I hear Alive in America was alright. Also I'm sure there's a bunch of bootlegs floating around somewhere. I just use youtube when I want to hear live Steely Dan...the stuff with Jon Herington on guitar is great.

Pretzel Logic is also a great one. Aside from Rikki, I loved those little acoustic songs they did like Any Major Dude and With A Gun.
Nice, thanks for all the input. YouTube, one of the best things invented for us musicians I have just recently gotten into Fagen' solo stuff besides The Nightfly and I'm pretty impressed.. You can definately see a lot of traits of Walter's work in there as well. Very versatile player and such a unique sound!
Alive in America is a good album but its nothing incredible. It's worth listening to but I don't think anyone would go crazy about it
Quote by iron_floyd
Alive in America is a good album but its nothing incredible. It's worth listening to but I don't think anyone would go crazy about it

Listened to most of it, definitely like a lot of it but I would much rather hear their studio albums. But... If I were there at the concert I'd be going crazy!!!
Kid Charlemagne is one of the coolest songs ever made. One of the first things I wanted to do when I started playing guitar was learn the solo to that song.
Quote by stndrdprcdre
Kid Charlemagne is one of the coolest songs ever made. One of the first things I wanted to do when I started playing guitar was learn the solo to that song.

I didn't hear that song until a while after I got into Steely Dan, but man is it great. The solo is amazing! I really don't hear it on the radio much though.

It seems like rock stations don't want to play a lot of their songs because it sounds too jazzy, and jazz stations won't play them because they sound too much like rock.

Royal Scam had quite a few songs with great guitar work/solos. Besides Kid Charlemagne, there's Don't Take Me Alive, Haitian Divorce, and Green Earrings. Royal Scam was much later on in their career, but it's got to be my 2nd favorite Dan album.
^ Those are all great songs. I really love the guitar (especially the tone) in "Don't Take Me Alive". That, and "Kid Charlemagne" is probably my favorite Steely Dan tune.

And then, there's songs like "Glamor Profession" and "Everyone's Gone To The Movies" that I can really do without, to put it nicely...
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by abcdlmnopxyz
I didn't hear that song until a while after I got into Steely Dan, but man is it great. The solo is amazing! I really don't hear it on the radio much though.

It seems like rock stations don't want to play a lot of their songs because it sounds too jazzy, and jazz stations won't play them because they sound too much like rock.

Royal Scam had quite a few songs with great guitar work/solos. Besides Kid Charlemagne, there's Don't Take Me Alive, Haitian Divorce, and Green Earrings. Royal Scam was much later on in their career, but it's got to be my 2nd favorite Dan album.

Isn't it disappointing that Steely Dan isn't played over most Classic Rock stations? Here in Springfield, Mo I have never heard an SD tune on the radio. Guess 97.3 doesn't know how to please it's listeners! But I don't listen to much radio anymore, CD's in the car are much better than their repetitive playlists!
Today I was fooling around on TicketMaster and discovered that Steely Dan will be in Kansas City at the Starlight Theater on August 25th. Tickets still available for $35.00. Won't be able to pass this one up! This will be the first time that I will see him live.
^ It's not a "him", it's a "them".

The name "Steely Dan" is from a book, the name of which escapes me. In this book, there is a woman that lovingly refers to her chrome "marital aid" as her "Steely Dan".
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Yes I know Walter and Donald were the two masterminds. I just mistyped
I'm pretty sure the book was Naked Lunch, I'm too lazy to look it up though. But yeah, basically they named the band after a giant metal dildo.