Page 1 of 2
Hello GB&C.

This is my first build thread here, and my second build ever. My first one took me about 3 years to finish, but I worked on it off and on while I was in High School, so I hope to have this one finished by the end of the summer.

Specs:
Body: Swamp Ash
Neck: 5 piece Maple/Wenge/Maple/Wenge/Maple
Bolt-On construction.
Fretboard: Birdseye Maple
Scale: 25.5"
# Frets: 24
Inlay: Side dots only.
Headstock: Reverse Fender-inspired, 3x4
Hardware: Black
Bridge: Hipshot Fixed 7
Tuners: Hipshot
Controls: 1 Vol, 3-way switch
Pickups: Likely to be Crunch Lab and Liquifire set.

Now, What everyone REALLY wants to see... PICS!

Absolutely beautiful Swamp Ash blank.

The neck, glued up and planed.

The awesome Birdseye Maple Fretboard.

The body cut out roughly.

I've been sanding the body shape by hand so far, but I might be getting a drill press soon, and with it, some sanding drums.

And of course, the parts.

I haven't quite decided on the pickups yet. The guitar will be for mostly metal, but I'm not sure if I want to go the active route. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be awesome.

Also I haven't totally decided on the colour yet. I'm thinking to stain it red, as I really like how the black hardware contrasts with the red body and maple fretboard.

Anyway I hope some of you find this interesting, and I'll try to keep updating as I go along.
Looks good so far.

My suggestion would be to be different and NOT go the active path.

Passives allow more of the woods tone to shine through...IMO
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
That's a good start. The ass is a little flat for my tastes, but I can live with it. Good choice on tuners especially.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Jul 15, 2011,
@srob7001: Thanks. Thats my thought process on the pickups as well.

@Pikka Bird: Yeah, it's still a little rough from the bandsaw, and the picture angle made it look slightly flatter than it is, but I do plan on rounding it out a bit more while sanding. I used Sperzels on my last one, so I figured I tried something a little different.

@Ippon: Thanks. Mostly for simplicity, and the fact that I have the stew-mac fret guide with 25" and 25.5" from my last guitar.
So, some updates.

Cut the scarf joint by hand since I don't have access to a band saw. Turned out pretty good, just had to plane it smooth, which took a while.

Clamped up. I saw a video where someone used aluminum foil instead of paper towel to prevent the scrap from being glued to the piece. It worked, but almost too well; the foil seemed to keep the glue from drying, even after a whole day.

Routing the Truss Rod channel.

Like a glove!

Hopefully I'll have some more updates sooner than later!
To ensure proper clarity in the B string... You're already doing well to have a brightly tones multilaminate neck and the body wood you have.

Does the bridge run string-through-body? Or just through the bridge?

Good to see you have a reverse headstock in mind, allowing more length for the B string behind the nut to allow for greater tension

Looks KILLER so far
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
To ensure proper clarity in the B string... You're already doing well to have a brightly tones multilaminate neck and the body wood you have.

Does the bridge run string-through-body? Or just through the bridge?

Good to see you have a reverse headstock in mind, allowing more length for the B string behind the nut to allow for greater tension

Looks KILLER so far

Thanks! It'll be a string-through body. still waiting on the ferrules to come in from long & mcquade.

Got some things done yesterday:

Slotting the fretboard with my trusty Stewmac fret slotting kit!

Mmmmm...this made my nipples hard.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
BKP Aftermaths or Dimarzio Crunch Lab/Liquifire or even the D Activators
What is thall? THALL
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Some updates today.

First off, because the blank headstock wasn't quite wide enough, I had to do some careful cutting with the coping saw to add to the spots that needed a little extra. After gluing those up, I cut out the headstock roughly with a coping saw, and sanded it down to size with some drum sanders on a drill press.

The (almost) finished result, aside from a few minor details.

After that was shaped, I glued on the fretboard.

I managed to only get about 1/16" slippage, and it was even all the way across, so it worked out, but i'll need to come up with a better way, so that next time there will be none.

Finally, I cut out the neck taper with a jigsaw, and sanded it down flat.

Thanks again to anyone checking this out, the feedback and comments mean a lot to me!
UPDAAAAAAATES!!!

Getting the depth at the first fret and before the heel.

After the rough shaping. Kutzall files cut ridiculously fast.

And after a bit of sanding. still some rasp marks to get out.

Also routed out the neck pocket.
Mmmm sexy.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
^Thanks guys!

So while I'm waiting for the pickups and some parts to come in, I got some work done on the headstock.

My headstock was a little too thick, so I decided to recess the holes a bit.

I think it turned out okay.
on the edge of the scarf joint of back of the headstock( i think that's what it is.) i would try to smooth it out a little cause there is a visible line. but besides that it looks awesome so far.
It's hard to avoid visible lines in scarf joints.

Lookin good! Somewhat disappointed that the B string won't have a lot of extra length behind the nut, but oh well
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Oh, hey there. Its been a while.

Got something in the mail the other day.

My order of stickers finally came in!

And they came with some extra accessories too.

So after several failed templates, I finally got the pickup routes completed.

And they fit!
random note... since that's the Petrucci pickup set I'm assuming that you're more or less going for his pickup configuration... He virtually always has the bar in the crunch lab towards the neck... you might want to consider that...

I know that's just a mockup, but I figured it couldn't hurt to mention it...
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Oh.

Hi there.

I, uh... I guess it's been a while.

No, I haven't forgotten about you! I've just been busy with work recently, but now it's just you and me.

Here, I got you some Pictures:

Rough shaped the body contours.

Control cavity, and a bit of a patch job below the bridge from using a drill where a drill press wouldn't reach.

Neck fretted.

I've scalloped frets 15 - 24 from the first to the fifth string, something inspired by a Daemoness build I saw a while ago.

And the colour finalized. Had to tilt the piece to show how it actually looks.

Getting some more tools soon, so I should be finishing the neck and staining the body in the near future.
wow thats a really nice looking build. can't wait to see how it turns out.
My Guitar Rig:
Peavey 6505+ Head
Peavey 6505 slant cab
MXR Smart Gate
MXR Noise Clamp
Ibanez ts-9 tubescreamer
Ibanez RGA72tqm with EMG 81/85

Other Guitar Gear:
Fender Vibro Champ
TTM Guitars Devastator
LTD EC-200
OKAY!

I did a bunch of stuff, took pictures, and forgot to post them. So I'll do it all now.

Body sanded to 320

Grain filled

Body stained over the grainfiller

And after 8 coats of Tru-oil

4 coats of oil on the neck

And Together!

Now, I've got the back cavity cover made up from leftover ash. Should I leave it natural, or stain it, or what? I'm kind of leaning towards natural. Opinions?
The shape is not at all to my liking, but you are doing a good job!

I like the weathered red look to it, and the laminate stripes in the neck look really good.
Well, here we are. The final chapter in a grand story that seems to have gone on far too long, as the teller has gone quite senile with age, and began rambling about half way through.

Here are the final Pictures. Some are touched up slightly to try and show the actual colour.

Last edited by RoyalT_996 at Feb 16, 2012,
yeh... hide that untidy wiring :p
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Looks great man! Nice one.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Page 1 of 2