okay, so last night i was playing my guitar, everything was fine, beautiful sound. wake up this morning and my amp's completely dead. i've checked the kettle lead, it's not the guitar or the jack lead or the power socket i'm running it through, as far as i can tell it hasn't blown a fuse, so i'm a little stumped as to what's wrong with it. only thing i can think it might be is the valves, but i have no idea how to check this. anyway basically my question was, any thoughts on what the problem might be before i have to go shell out a couple hundred quid on fixing it or getting a new amp? It's a peavey valveking 112 by the way.
Quote by Eddie616
this guy is of epic legend.

it's true.
It doesn't turn on? Why don't you actually check the fuses. I can't tell if you did that or not from OP.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
yeah, it won't turn on. i've checked the fuses, they haven't blown.
Quote by Eddie616

it's true.
you mean is it plugged in? yes.
Quote by Eddie616

it's true.
then this goes far beyond my expertise. Its time i depart
Peavey 6505+
Avatar 412 W/ Vintage 30s G12K100s
Pod HD500
Here is the what I would do.

Change the fuses anyway. Sometimes they can look ok but still be bad and unless you have the gear to test them, you may as well buy new ones. They are really cheap anyway.

If that doesn't work, swap the tubes (don't throw them away though). If you have to buy new tubes, no big deal, you should always have extras anyhow.

If neither of those things solve the problem, it may be significantly more complicated and you should take it to a tech.

One last suggestion, try different power outlets and make sure the outlets are not controlled by switches on the wall or something (that totally happened to me).

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Quote by shikkaka
Here is the what I would do.

Change the fuses anyway. Sometimes they can look ok but still be bad and unless you have the gear to test them, you may as well buy new ones. They are really cheap anyway.

If that doesn't work, swap the tubes (don't throw them away though). If you have to buy new tubes, no big deal, you should always have extras anyhow.

If neither of those things solve the problem, it may be significantly more complicated and you should take it to a tech.

One last suggestion, try different power outlets and make sure the outlets are not controlled by switches on the wall or something (that totally happened to me).

thanks man. don't suppose you know how much i'm looking at for new tubes? i'm still pretty new to valve amps.
Quote by Eddie616

it's true.
6L6 tubes range from 20 to 100 USD but you will probably end up spending around 30 each. Pre-amp tubes, 12AX7's, are about 15 bucks a pop. The cheapest way to get them is to order online. You should probably change the power tubes first since they are more likely the problem.

Buy the tubes online. Thats the cheapest way to get them (obviously not the fastest though).

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
are the tubes lighting up?
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Replace the fuse, if that's the problem then shut it off and take it to a tech. Fuses don't just blow for no reason. The purpose of a fuse is to stop the flow of electricity through a device when a component has failed to prevent serious damage to the device.

If that's not the problem then replace the tubes (although your amp should still function if the tubes have gone bad, it just won't produce sound or will produce very unpleasant tone).

I'm not an expert but it sounds like something has gone bad, like an OT. I know when I was a tube n00blet I fried my OT and the amp wouldn't turn on anymore.
Quote by iheartgun
are the tubes lighting up?
no, and the light at the front isn't on either. from what i can tell there's no power getting to the amp at all, but it's not the kettle lead or the power socket because i've tested both of them and they're working fine. i think i'll replace the fuses, then get hold of some new tubes if that doesn't work. thanks for the advice guys.
Quote by Eddie616

it's true.
Like I said - if you replace the fuse and it turns on then you need to take it to a tech and get it diagnosed. If the fuse did blow then there is more than likely something wrong inside the amp.
that sounds intelligent. or i might just buy a new amp and cannibalise this one for a drinks cabinet.
Quote by Eddie616

it's true.