Page 1 of 2
So whats your stance on the UN?

are you glad your country is(n't) part of it?

What do you think of North Korea being the Chair the UN disarmament conference?
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by Craigo
That's terribly vague.

so was that lack of answer

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Ehhhhh nice idea, not the greatest implementation. The UN is weak
My God, it's full of stars!
The problem with the UN is they treat dictatorships the same as they do democracies. That being said, it's better to have a UN than not have one.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
so was that lack of answer

Well it is. Is the structure good? Idea good? Actual performance good? It's terribly vague. And I believe few here have much idea about the UN and shouldn't really try to give a reasonable assessment of it in any way. (Myself included.)
Quote by Craigo
Well it is. Is the structure good? Idea good? Actual performance good? It's terribly vague. And I believe few here have much idea about the UN and shouldn't really try to give a reasonable assessment of it in any way. (Myself included.)

i always get surprised by the pits knowledge, there are so many of us that theres always people who have researched and learnt stuff, and i mean in general, no specific parts of the un, what do you think of it all.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by Spud Spudly
The problem with the UN is they treat dictatorships the same as they do democracies. That being said, it's better to have a UN than not have one.

That's actually running with the assumption that democracy is ideal, or somewhat best, which would really be a Western bias.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The United Nations is a joke, literately, I think they thought it would make the biggest and best troll attempt ever seen by man kind.

They are as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop.
Do you mean literally? Or are they well-read?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by JimmyBanks6
i always get surprised by the pits knowledge, there are so many of us that theres always people who have researched and learnt stuff, and i mean in general, no specific parts of the un, what do you think of it all.

Well, going back I can say some things about the UN (I know my limits). I mean, The UN offers a real forum for many nation states across the world which is a positive thing. People moan unfairly when people moan that the UN won't act or act much when they're unaware of why they won't. The security council as an idea isn't real good and gives too much power to those countries.

And yeah, you're right. I've always got this real iffy kneejerk reaction to when people moan about the UN, which is to ignore them unless they've got some fair reason to demand attention
Quote by Craigo
That's actually running with the assumption that democracy is ideal, or somewhat best, which would really be a Western bias.

It's a western bias that democracy is better than dictatorship? Does someone in the east feel that it's not?
A bunch of nations getting together to advocate peace. I see nothing wrong with this. Also, lol @N. Korea being the chair of disarmament.
Quote by Spud Spudly
It's a western bias that democracy is better than dictatorship? Does someone in the east feel that it's not?

No, it's a Western bias to assume that a democracy is better than a dictatorship from the get go like that and make it the standard to judge other nation states. You can have functional dictatorships which are tolerated by the citizens of that country, much like you can have functional democracies which are tolerated by the citizens of said country. You probably have legitimate reasons for preferring democracy, and that's cool, but other nation states and cultures may not particularly want democracy and can be okay with that.

Also, it's a bit silly to deny them access to a world forum because they do not have a preferred Government.
Last edited by Craigo at Jul 15, 2011,
I laugh when people post shit from the UNs Declaration of Human rights like it's some kind of law.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
I laugh when people post shit from the UNs Declaration of Human rights like it's some kind of law.

I vaguely remember something like the internet or something ridiculous being added to the list. It invalidated the whole thing IMO.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by Craigo
No, it's a Western bias to assume that a democracy is better than a dictatorship from the get go like that and make it the standard to judge other nation states. You can have functional dictatorships which are tolerated by the citizens of that country, much like you can have functional democracies which are tolerated by the citizens of said country. You probably have legitimate reasons for preferring democracy, and that's cool, but other nation states and cultures may not particularly want democracy and can be okay with that.

Also, it's a bit silly to deny them access to a world forum because they do not have a preferred Government.

Yeah and there's alot of countrys that want democracy but they can't have it because the dictator won't let them have it.
Quote by WaterGod
Yeah and there's alot of countrys that want democracy but they can't have it because the dictator won't let them have it.

As proven by all the protests, riots, and rebellions going on right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Spring

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Quote by Dreadnought
Ehhhhh nice idea, not the greatest implementation. The UN is weak

This. They tried, I guess.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I plan to work for the UN someday. Specifically the ILO.

Quote by shikkaka
I vaguely remember something like the internet or something ridiculous being added to the list. It invalidated the whole thing IMO.

There's nothing explicitly about the internet in the UDHR. Article 19, however, is relevant to internet censorship:

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Biggest flaw with the UN is there's no enforcement mechanism so there's little muscle behind their resolutions unless the more powerful countries already agree with them, and if there were the tinfoil hat crowd would flip their shit crying "one world government!!11!!"
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Biggest flaw with the UN is there's no enforcement mechanism so there's little muscle behind their resolutions unless the more powerful countries already agree with them, and if there were the tinfoil hat crowd would flip their shit crying "one world government!!11!!"

Ya, but they are already saying that

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Quote by Craigo

Oh dear, if only someone from a dictatorship country could of heard that and had their hands around your neck at the same time, I don't think you'd make it.

Your assumptions are just that, assumptions, the idea of freedom(democracy is hardly a good type of government, but it's still freer than most governments) is not western bias, it's a world wide dream.

The UN are like, a world government dick head wannabe's, if they could control every aspect of your life, they would gladly do it. But, since nobody cares about what the UN has to say, because all of their threats are baseless and they are sissys, nobody pays attention to them.

Politics as usual.
Quote by thewho65
Well I come from the country that tried to invent it (League of Nations). I agree with the UN in principle, but its castrated reaction to world catastrophe sometimes makes me wonder what the use is Still, any forum is better than no forum.

EDIT: After thinking about it though, if the UN had any more power than they do it would set off a lot of alarms, maybe even not just with the conspiracy hoard.

As a witness to U.S. psuedo-imperialism in the noughties, I'm hesitant to call democracy "a world wide dream." Do I believe democracy allows for a greater extent of individualism? Yes. But the fact is, quite obvious, that no one wants anything forced on them. If a people desire democracy, they'll install it themselves (as evidenced by the Arab Spring; though we do have yet to see the extent of democratic ideals as nothing's that concrete as of the moment, it's fairly certain it won't be any return to the old).

As a firm US patriot, I have always had a hard time rationalizing our (the US's) need to spread democracy. While we believe democracy represents freedom for everyone and want to spread the freedoms we enjoy to nations that don't have them, I always feel wrong that we are imposing our beliefs on another culture.

Thats one of the ways I like the way our involvement in Libya was handled. They demonstrated that they wanted change, and we offered assistance when it became necessary.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Quote by shikkaka
As a firm US patriot, I have always had a hard time rationalizing our (the US's) need to spread democracy. While we believe democracy represents freedom for everyone and want to spread the freedoms we enjoy to nations that don't have them, I always feel wrong that we are imposing our beliefs on another culture.

Thats one of the ways I like the way our involvement in Libya was handled. They demonstrated that they wanted change, and we offered assistance when it became necessary.

I'm more worried about our historical need to spread dictatorship, personally.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I'm more worried about our historical need to spread dictatorship, personally.

I guess it would be more accurate that I don't like one country directly interfering with the way another governs without the people explicitly showing their interest in change.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Quote by thewho65

As a witness to U.S. psuedo-imperialism in the noughties, I'm hesitant to call democracy "a world wide dream." Do I believe democracy allows for a greater extent of individualism? Yes. But the fact is, quite obvious, that no one wants anything forced on them. If a people desire democracy, they'll install it themselves (as evidenced by the Arab Spring; though we do have yet to see the extent of democratic ideals as nothing's that concrete as of the moment, it's fairly certain it won't be any return to the old).

Oh good lord, who the **** do you think you are? Was this ego fed to you by your teachers or something?

"as a witness to US pseudo-imperialims in the noughties" like your some wizened, experienced old political commentator sitting in his armchair sipping a cognac. You're a goddamn teenager, not ****ing Noam Chomsky. Your perspective is shit
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by ethan_hanus
Oh dear, if only someone from a dictatorship country could of heard that and had their hands around your neck at the same time, I don't think you'd make it.

You'd be daft to say that every dictator in the history of the world has been hated by their people and everyone ideally yearns for democracy quite honestly.
Quote by Dreadnought
Oh good lord, who the **** do you think you are? Was this ego fed to you by your teachers or something?

"as a witness to US pseudo-imperialims in the noughties" like your some wizened, experienced old political commentator sitting in his armchair sipping a cognac. You're a goddamn teenager, not ****ing Noam Chomsky. Your perspective is shit

My first lolstack. I am glad it was to you, dreadnought.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Democracy is a myth. The United States, and countless other countries you probably believe to be democracies, are in fact republics, meaning the citizens elect representatives who act on the behalf of their electors to run the government. But of course, given the fact that these representatives hardly ever act on the behalf of the citizens that elected them to public office, republicanism is practically a myth as well. We are only given the illusion of a democratic free choice in running the government.

The "democracy" we have in the United States is closer to a dictatorship than most people think.

The U.S. and the U.N. only assist in setting up these illusory democratic governments elsewhere in place of dictatorial regimes in order to pacify citizens, with these new governments continuing to act in the best interests of people other than the common citizens. Numerous examples exist of the United States setting up dictatorships, only to assist in their demise once their usefulness wore out.

Basically, people are continually fucked in the ass whether they know it or not. Democracy, dictatorship, it doesn't matter.

Anarchy, fwends. Anarchy.
Last edited by CrucialGutchman at Jul 16, 2011,
Quote by CrucialGutchman
Democracy is a myth. The United States, and countless other countries you probably believe to be democracies, are in fact republics, meaning the citizens elect representatives who act on the behalf of their electors to run the government. But of course, given the fact that these representatives hardly ever act on the behalf of the citizens that elected them to public office, republicanism is practically a myth as well. We are only given the illusion of a democratic free choice in running the government.

The "democracy" we have in the United States is closer to a dictatorship than most people think.

The U.S. and the U.N. only assist in setting up these illusory democratic governments elsewhere in place of dictatorial regimes in order to pacify citizens, with these new governments continuing to act in the best interests of people other than the common citizens. Numerous examples exist of the United States setting up dictatorships, only to assist in their demise once their usefulness wore out.

Basically, people are continually fucked in the ass whether they know it or not. Democracy, dictatorship, it doesn't matter.

Anarchy, fwends. Anarchy.

lol...nah...lol...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Did you read any of what I wrote? That's all bullshit. Everything on that page. Straight bullshit.

The United States and every other country listed under "Full Democracy" employ a system of government where its citizens elect representatives to run the government, making it a republic, not a democracy.

My argument is that these representatives, although elected by the people to act on their behalf, more often than not, do not act in the best interests of the same citizens that elected them. As such, not only are the United States and countless other countries not democracies, they are not republics either.

We are given the illusion of free choice and a say in the running of our government, but the politicians we elect truly do not give a shit about our best interests. Therefore we are closer to being a part of a dictatorship than a democracy.
Quote by CrucialGutchman
Did you read any of what I wrote? That's all bullshit. Everything on that page. Straight bullshit.

The United States and every other country listed under "Full Democracy" employ a system of government where its citizens elect representatives to run the government, making it a republic, not a democracy.

My argument is that these representatives, although elected by the people to act on their behalf, more often than not, do not act in the best interests of the same citizens that elected them. As such, not only are the United States and countless other countries not democracies, they are not republics either.

We are given the illusion of free choice and a say in the running of our government, but the politicians we elect truly do not give a shit about our best interests. Therefore we are closer to being a part of a dictatorship than a democracy.

This.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdk5n68gdM

There is no real democracy in the world right now, everything is controlled by the elite class.
Page 1 of 2