So the band I'm in just lost the drummer to the dreaded world of the working , very smooth exit, no hard feelings, all well and good. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Problem we have now is that the drummer the bassist had considered for the replacement, me, the sole guitarist, and our singer, don't like this guy. We've heard him play, and he's not bad, he's decently good in fact. It's just as person, me and the singer just really don't like him.

Should we suck it up and play with the guy? Or should we just keep looking?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

You have three options:

1) You play with him and either grow to like him or deal with what you don't like.

2) You grow to hate him so much that you just fire him. Could piss off your bassist.

3) You don't hire him and keep looking.

Is this guy a douche, or do you just think he smells funny? If it's that bad, sucking it up will just make it worse by building resentment between the two camps in your band.
He's just...awkward to be around. He just makes us uncomfortable. I dunno, I think we'll give him a shot. At this point, finding another drummer would be impossible.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

What exactly is wrong with him? Is it affecting band practice?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I know a few people who are just so creepy that all your instincts just tell you to get the **** away from them as fast as possible, but they're pretty rare and usually really introverted, and yet strangely at the same time untalented. If he acts too strange, he could put off people the band meets and so on, but if he's not so bad just keep him, I guess. TELL US MORE ABOUT THIS WEIRDO!
Are you uncomfortable because he is dangerous/aggresive? Or because he is a nerd/weirdo? If its the latter then its you with the problem, not him... get him jamming immediately, and toughen up, princess.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by 91RG350
Are you uncomfortable because he is dangerous/aggresive? Or because he is a nerd/weirdo? If its the latter then its you with the problem, not him... get him jamming immediately, and toughen up, princess.

Yeah I'm going to guess it's something along those lines. Letting high school politics interfere with the band and be afraid of playing with a decent musician for fear of not looking cool enough. Nice.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah I'm going to guess it's something along those lines. Letting high school politics interfere with the band and be afraid of playing with a decent musician for fear of not looking cool enough. Nice.

I don't want to seem petty... but there are some people who aren't just rather nerdy like myself, but totally off-putting. I hope it's that, because it would make the TS look better.

I might be willing to work with one if they could play, though. But I'm not going to hang around him long, and you don't have to either. Hang out with who you like, play with who can play.

That is not to discount the importance of image. Image is one of the most important things in a band, behind of course musical and songwriting skills. Having a really grungy, eccentric drummer could be pretty cool though, like a Moonie/Bonham sorta guy.

That didn't get anywhere, did it? Well, too bad!
Quote by AlanHB

No its far from high school politics, I hated high school, and after the fact, I see no reason to continue things I never even began

I jammed with the guy yesterday, everything turned out great. It was more of an off putting exterior, very quiet, very reclusive, and none too friendly. It ended up being one of those, once you get to know them kinda deals.

Besides, I'm a nerd from hell. So is my gf. She's the singer, I'm the guitarist. These guys are in their thirties, gfs 20, I'm 18. I'm not exactly one to say "IMAGE MEANS ERRYTHANG." Ya know?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
I jammed with the guy yesterday, everything turned out great. It was more of an off putting exterior, very quiet, very reclusive, and none too friendly. It ended up being one of those, once you get to know them kinda deals.

If the only problem was that he's a bit shy, that's not really much of an issue. Did it affect the music? Can you illustrate as an example how bad it was for you?
Soundcloud
...have you only talked to him in a musical setting?

It's not like you're gonna become best friends while there's a kit between you. If you care that much about being comfortable with your bandmates, you might need to invest in personal time with your band. One day cut practice short and have a cook-out or something cliche like that, whatever will get you over your heebie jeebies.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
One day cut practice short and have a cook-out or something cliche like that, whatever will get you over your heebie jeebies.

I'm not sure crystal meth is the best solution to this particular problem.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Damascus
I'm not sure crystal meth is the best solution to this particular problem.

Wat.

Edit: Just to be clear, I get the joke... I hope it was a joke.
Quote by AlanHB
If the only problem was that he's a bit shy, that's not really much of an issue. Did it affect the music? Can you illustrate as an example how bad it was for you?

At first it was more immediately off putting. Everyone gets that vibe every now and again from someone. Just the, move away, kinda vibe. Again, it turned out going great, he's a cool guy after we got to know him

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
At first it was more immediately off putting. Everyone gets that vibe every now and again from someone. Just the, move away, kinda vibe. Again, it turned out going great, he's a cool guy after we got to know him

So basically the problem no longer exists.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
So basically the problem no longer exists.

Yeah, I just felt the need to clarify. Should I delete the thread?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
Yeah, I just felt the need to clarify. Should I delete the thread?

Meh you can let it stay. Let it serve as a lesson to those who jump to quick conclusions about people.
Soundcloud
Lol beat me to it, Alan! And dont worry TS, we've all done it
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.