I got fed up with my major, decided to go back to community college instead of staying at the state university I went to, so I dropped out and signed up for the music program at the community college I was going to. Im going to do horribly on the placement test and they're going to make me take fundamentals before letting me fully major in it most likely, meaning I wont be in the ensembles right away.

im awful at reading music tbh, which is a huge crutch against me in this. I have literally no background (I think I got maybe a year of good music education ever in elementary school).

this is what I really want to do, though, and im hoping that by doing poorly on the placement test and being put through the really early theory classes they offer like fundamentals, that I'll be able to overcome not being able to read well.

aside from being afraid of that, Im really excited that im going to be getting GOOD classical guitar lessons and taking classes in something I really want to know about and will actually apply in my daily life.

you guys think I have any hope? I mean Im a decent player as far as technical skill goes, but with reading issues I see this being a hard road ahead, but the way I look at it is if I can make it through somehow, I should be an excellent player with great theory knowledge, reading ability, and technical ability by the time im done.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
What type of music course is it?
What is your current theory knowledge?
What sort of music are you interested in?
How accomplished are you on your instrument (have you done any grades)?
It all depends on how far you think you wish to go. If you are unable to even read music, I doubt you're going to end up becoming the next classical guitar virtuoso, but if it really is just something you enjoy and you wish to become the best at it you can be, then I see no reason why not.

Its better for you to be straight with yourself (as you seem to be doing) instead of raising your expectations far higher then they should be and getting let down.
yeah I just want to be as good as I can on it. I generally play classic rock and blues now, and I used to try to do lots of shreddy fast stuff but lost interest in it. I think classical's cool and am excited to start playing that style, but i have no experience with it.

my current theory knowledge is dodgy at best. but its only because I havent had any instruction with it so I have tons of holes.

no I have not done any "grades" and im not sure what your referring to with that (the mel bay books?). I havent had any formal instruction ever really. mainly because I wasnt able to find any decent teacher privately where I am.

Im hoping that I can do well in the 2 year program and maybe transfer out to a 4 year program after that. my school has a partnership with crane, so thats always possible if Im good enough at it, but it might be an unrealistic goal.

ultimately I just want to be a better player with more of an education, I know its kinda dumb, but I guess I just want to be a street-level musician with a side job. Id be happy with that. I feel like if I learn classical guitar and theory it will translate over into better electric guitar playing skill and knowledge as well (after all theory is theory, as is agility and strength)
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
really Ive been trying(rather unsuccessfully) to break out of bedroom jamming for a long time. I have the gear, and I at least have the skill to be in a cover band or some sort of band, i just dont know anybody so it never happens. if thats any indicator of where Im at (which I feel like it should be a little bit), then I guess it works.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
get a teacher now and start working. learning classical guitar will probably be harder then getting the fundamentals of theory down--also, its probably to your benefit to start training your ears now (speaking of which, how are they?)--by learning to sing the major scale (preferably using the syllables do re mi fa sol la ti do) and singing triads (C E G, which would be Do Mi Sol), as well as learning off of recordings as much as possible.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)