Been playing for almost 2 years mostly metal stuff. And I want to learn to improvise learn all that music theory stuff that asociated with it.
I went to a jazz player, hes really good and I really like his music.
Aside from the crap loads of theory i have to learn, he spoted one thing in my playing.

He asked me to play a simple 1-2-3 up and down the neck, so I did.
(Naturaly for me every string was started with a down stroke)
Going down I picked: 1d-2u-3d the next string 1d-2u-3d etc. then:

Going from E to low e: 1d-2u-3d

THEN i went(every string started with u), 1u-2d-3u 1u-2d-3u etc.

He said it aint bad and that is nothing really to bitch about, but for each time i played something he always tryed to correct me and reminded me that I should try to alternative pick instead of using 'economic' moves, he said that IF I want to get faster I should program my hand to go d u d u regardless of the situation instead of striking the string 'the way it feels natural/random'

I really dont have nothing to complain to the man since he knows what hes saying, but when playing
1-2-3 you start with a D U D, then the next 1 on the next string should be and U but you have to make a 'massive' 'hook' to pick it .

It's really hard to reprograme my head/hand to go like this because i have been playing my way for quate a long time and thus MY QUESTION: should THIS be feeling as acward as it is now?
1) Dont really see how taking a longer route can be faster ( UNLESS )

by faster it means that when im picking stuff i havent done, my hand will naturaly go d u d u like a machine gun and dont think about it instead of finding a way that will feel 'better' for me.
Last edited by DocArunas at Jul 15, 2011,
idk man, i wouldn't change my economy picking for anyone, but i feel confident in my alt picking.
Yes it should feel awkward if you're not used to it. I economy picked like you and when I started learning alternate it felt really hard. In the long run I recommend alternate picking. I rarely do economy picking these days. Playing overall felt pretty awkward for me when I used to do economy picking. Just all those little things are hard to play if you try to economy everything. And as you hinted, playing random stuff becomes easier for you picking hand because you only have to think up down up down.

Of course you can stick to it but I recommend practising some good ol' alternate.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I forced myself to switch to Alternate picking from years of Economy playing.

It sucked, was extremely frustrating, and annoying. It did pay off, though. I still have trouble descending using alternate picking, but I've become quite a bit faster and ascending is completely natural now. Alternate picking coincides with rhythm better than economy picking does.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
I used to play using economy picking too as it came naturally. But after knowing that shred and other fast runs are done alternate, I forced myself to change. Now I can play faster and much cleaner.
It'll feel really awkward but you can definitely reprogram yourself.

It's worth pointing out that economy picking is only "faster" for that pickstroke. If you want to play 6 evenly spaced notes, the economy picked one still has to sound at the same time as the alternate picked one.

As for the "hook" - don't forget when you pick "inside" the strings you end up going past the string anyway. Either way you have the same amount of motion.
Quote by DocArunas
Been playing for almost 2 years mostly metal stuff. And I want to learn to improvise learn all that music theory stuff that asociated with it.
I went to a jazz player, hes really good and I really like his music.
Aside from the crap loads of theory i have to learn, he spoted one thing in my playing.

He asked me to play a simple 1-2-3 up and down the neck, so I did.
(Naturaly for me every string was started with a down stroke)
Going down I picked: 1d-2u-3d the next string 1d-2u-3d etc. then:

Going from E to low e: 1d-2u-3d

THEN i went(every string started with u), 1u-2d-3u 1u-2d-3u etc.

He said it aint bad and that is nothing really to bitch about, but for each time i played something he always tryed to correct me and reminded me that I should try to alternative pick instead of using 'economic' moves, he said that IF I want to get faster I should program my hand to go d u d u regardless of the situation instead of striking the string 'the way it feels natural/random'

I really dont have nothing to complain to the man since he knows what hes saying, but when playing
1-2-3 you start with a D U D, then the next 1 on the next string should be and U but you have to make a 'massive' 'hook' to pick it .

It's really hard to reprograme my head/hand to go like this because i have been playing my way for quate a long time and thus MY QUESTION: should THIS be feeling as acward as it is now?
1) Dont really see how taking a longer route can be faster ( UNLESS )

by faster it means that when im picking stuff i havent done, my hand will naturaly go d u d u like a machine gun and dont think about it instead of finding a way that will feel 'better' for me.

Yeah, man, this is exactly my story too. Except I was playing 3 years before I got a teacher!
I don't regret switching to alternate picking at all, though. Once you get used to it you'll have a much more aggressive and satisfying picking technique. Just keep at the 3 note per string stuff.
who cares if your amazing at one thing youll be just as any guy who alt picks...seriously doesn't matter...
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100