Page 1 of 10
Article

California has become the first state in the nation to require public schools to add lessons about gay history to social studies classes, after Gov. Jerry Brown (D) signed the landmark bill on Thursday.

The Democratic-majority Legislature passed the bill last week on a largely party-line vote.

The bill has drawn criticism from some churches and conservative groups that argue such instruction would expose students to a subject that some parents find objectionable.

Democratic state Sen. Mark Leno of San Francisco, the bill's author, has said that teaching gay history in public schools will teach students to be more accepting of gays and lesbians.

July 5: Assemblyman Tim Donnelly, R-Twin Peaks, called on lawmakers to reject a measure requiring public schools to teach the historical contributions of gay Americans, at the Assembly in Sacramento, CA.
Related Video

Controversial Curriculum: Mandate Gay History in Classrooms?

Dr. Larry Schweikart weighs in

The state will now draw up guidelines for the districts, and educators will decide who deserves inclusion in the curriculum.

Supporters suggest slain San Francisco politician Harvey Milk would be an appropriate choice. Leno contends Milk's fight for civil rights is as worthy of class study as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s. He adds this kind of "inclusive curriculum" will help protect students who may look, or act, differently.

But critics don't buy the anti-bullying argument, and say SB 48 hijacks history class to promote a gay agenda.

"In the past, history taught about what people did, what they accomplished," says Brad Dacus, head of the Pacific Justice Institute. "It didn't focus on their sexuality and what they did in the bedroom. Yet that is what this legislation will impose on every public school in the state of California dealing with heterosexuality, homosexual role models, transgender role models, all the way down to the kindergarten level."

Dacus adds, "It's California tax dollars from parents who are paying for this kind of indoctrination that's being put into public schools. That demeans them, their family, and their relationships."

Leno says it's the same criticism voiced years ago when schools embraced ethnic and women's studies.

"We should not be afraid to teach our children of the broad diversity of human experience," he says. "It's not going away, it's always been with us. We have different kinds of people, who are, under law, to be treated equally. Why would we not want to teach our children this?"

He says inclusive education is as important as the 3R's. "This all goes together."

But critics worry parents who object to this curriculum will be labeled intolerant, and that kids will start thinking about sexuality and gender identity at a very young age.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

California law passed to make it mandatory to teach gay history to children in California schools??

Damn, I wonder what it will be like when they finally have Gay History 101 in highschool.....
Last edited by WaterGod at Jul 15, 2011,
I think its too soon. They do teach the civil rights of the 70s and whatnot, and I feel once LGBT rights are more existant, they should start teaching the history. Just not now.
I would like to see what the "gay history" will be. This sounds just like all of the stupid panicky fear mongering shit homophobes always blather on about.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
I think i've seen this thread before.

Teaching it to kindergarteners is ****ing idiotic though. Seriously. Middle school ages are when it should be taught. And it should be taught from a neutral perspective.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Kindergarten is too early to teach any sort of sexually objective lesson, be it gay, straight, or other. They're five years old. Let them be kids before you start trying to fill their heads with concepts like this.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by RPGoof
I think its too soon. They do teach the civil rights of the 70s and whatnot, and I feel once LGBT rights are more existant, they should start teaching the history. Just not now.

To me teaching gay history just sounds kinda odd, I mean it's just a sexual prefrence. They wouldn't teach Heterosexual History......

Then again they teach African American history, and I guess Gay is the new Black.
Where does it say anything about kindergarten?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Also do they actually propose teaching it to kindergardeners? Or is that typical "save the childrenz!!!!" scare-tactics?
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

Why can't they just learn about gay and straight people in the same lesson. Why does that person have to be characterised by their sexual preference.
Quote by abdulalhazred
I would like to see what the "gay history" will be. This sounds just like all of the stupid panicky fear mongering shit homophobes always blather on about.

Reminds me of the Anti-gay Marriage video that shows the woman whos scared that schools will teach her child that homosexuality is okay.

Honestly though, the most gay history we had in my class was that Lenardo Da Vinci was gay and that Alexander the Great was Bisexual.
Anyone who seriously uses the phrase "gay agenda" is an idiot.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by ErikLensherr
Where does it say anything about kindergarten?

It says teaching the class goes all the way down to kindergarten level.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Teaching 'gay' or 'black' history is just ridiculous. Just teach ****ing history. If it's important, it's gonna be in the books, regardless of whether it's black or gay...

Not really. There's heaps of things that they don't teach in schools, for example the history of the US labour movement (afaik). Oppressed groups are frequently excluded from mainstream historiography unless concious efforts are made to include them.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by WaterGod
To me teaching gay history just sounds kinda odd, I mean it's just a sexual prefrence. They wouldn't teach Heterosexual History......

Then again they teach African American history, and I guess Gay is the new Black.

Don't think it's a preference so much. Not like I 'prefer' Coke to Pepsi. Would you go the other way if that's all they had?
Last edited by chord-me-like at Jul 19, 2011,
Quote by chord-me-like
Don't think it's a preference so much. Not like I 'prefer' Coke to Pepsi. Would you go the other way if that's all they had?

No it's more I like the taste of coke, and pepsi taste like shit.
Quote by WaterGod
Straight people don't need to be empowered based on their sexuality, do they?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Not really. There's heaps of things that they don't teach in schools, for example the history of the US labour movement (afaik). Oppressed groups are frequently excluded from mainstream historiography unless concious efforts are made to include them.

I was taught about the labor movement in my US history class. But the problem is having to cram shitloads of history into 8 months of school. Some stuff would have to be cut out. Doesn't mean it's not in the textbook they give out though.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

That's due to revisionism though, which is a slightly ...different problem. Do you mean the history of US Labor as it's taught abroad? Or in the US?

What they tend to do is leave out unsavory bits about the founding fathers, or slavery, or the treatment of Native Americans, etc. Things that would make you have a negative opinion of the US. This is evidenced by Texas' attempt to 'edit' history books for future generations.

LGBT usually shows up in civil rights/60s-70s history. What I loathe though is calling something 'black history' or 'gay history'. It's kind of silly to classify things as such.
Quote by bradulator
I think i've seen this thread before.

Teaching it to kindergarteners is ****ing idiotic though. Seriously. Middle school ages are when it should be taught. And it should be taught from a neutral perspective.

They should also teach black history from a neutral perspective.

"yes, it's fine to believe that blacks are people just like us and deserve equal rights, but it's also okay to believe that they're subhuman and deserve to be whipped and enslaved."

Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by beadhangingOne
That's due to revisionism though, which is a slightly ...different problem. Do you mean the history of US Labor as it's taught abroad? Or in the US?

What they tend to do is leave out unsavory bits about the founding fathers, or slavery, or the treatment of Native Americans, etc. Things that would make you have a negative opinion of the US. This is evidenced by Texas' attempt to 'edit' history books for future generations.

LGBT usually shows up in civil rights/60s-70s history. What I loathe though is calling something 'black history' or 'gay history'. It's kind of silly to classify things as such.

Meh, it's just the way the media talks about stuff, . They're mostly idiots, mostly.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by RPGoof

Not all of history is positive. I think the idea is that you can't pretend they never existed.
Quote by psyks
Straight people don't need to be empowered based on their sexuality, do they?

Why do gay people?
Perhaps he should also teach what the ancient greeks did to their students as payment for the curriculum
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by Snakeskin
Why do gay people?
a lot of gay people are bullied in school based on their sexuality and studies have shown that kids are happier being openly gay in schools where LGBT issues are discussed in class.
Quote by mark3777
They could be learning far more important things than gay history.

Like how to make nooses?
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

not to be a jerk, but I didn't realize there was much "gay history". Isn't it all going on right now?
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by Snakeskin
Why do gay people?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_bashing
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by WaterGod
It says teaching the class goes all the way down to kindergarten level.

I'd imagine at that level it'd be stuff like "gay people are just like everybody else ," "accept people for who they are ," etc. In other words kindergarten stuff, and they wouldn't get into the specifics of Harvey Milk, the Stonewall Riots, and all that until the point where'd they also be teaching the specifics of the Civil Rights Movement, in 3rd or 4th or 5th grade. I don't see anything wrong with this.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

They don't teach it because they don't have enough time in the school year to go over every movement ect.

For god sakes, we didn't even cover the Civil Rights movement in my history class what makes you think we could teach the US labour party in so little time.
It's a cool idea andI'm an advocate for a lot of gay things but I think this is too far. Plus, in the grand scale of things, gay history is irrelevant. Sorry bro's.
Quote by psyks
a lot of gay people are bullied in school based on their sexuality and studies have shown that kids are happier being openly gay in schools where LGBT issues are discussed in class.

I knew that. Most level headed people won't be empowered based on their sexuality just because a few idiots gave them a hard time anyways.

Also gay bashing is not as common as the media would have you believe.
Quote by WaterGod
They don't teach it because they don't have enough time in the school year to go over every movement ect.

For god sakes, we didn't even cover the Civil Rights movement in my history class what makes you think we could teach the US labour party in so little time.

O.o
Quote by Snakeskin
I knew that. Most level headed people won't be empowered based on their sexuality just because a few idiots gave them a hard time anyways.

Also gay bashing is not as common as the media would have you believe.

uh....yes. It is in the real world (from my experiences) it is.

for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_homo
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

Quote by fearofthemark
They should also teach black history from a neutral perspective.

"yes, it's fine to believe that blacks are people just like us and deserve equal rights, but it's also okay to believe that they're subhuman and deserve to be whipped and enslaved."

Super gay of you to point out my inability to say what I mean (bad wording)