I've finally wanted to learn enough songs that use a capo to need to buy one, and I wanted to know if some are better than others and what to look for when choosing one or if they're all pretty much the same. The same goes with slides.
why u need a capo?

Just tune ur guitar different
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
why u need a capo?

Just tune ur guitar different

Okay, lol.

Thread closed.
I've always found that elastic band style capos don't work too well. I personally like the Dunlop Trigger capo, it clamps down nicely so that all of the notes ring well and is easily movable.

As for slides, everybody is different. I like the sound of the Joe Perry Bone Yard slide but the feel of traditional metal slides. I know some people that use copper and glass slides. They all sound different to me, so try them all and see what you prefer.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Trigger-Classical-Guitar-Capo-361511-i1130202.gc

ive had this one for three years no problems

if you want to spend alittle more
http://www.guitarcenter.com/G7th-405-Performance-Guitar-Capo-103377305-i1130248.gc
im planningon getting this one for myself soon
it seems better for me.....

I have a capo, but that came with my first guitar....

but it's great for experimenting

I don't use it anymore, where do you live?
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by supersac
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Trigger-Classical-Guitar-Capo-361511-i1130202.gc

ive had this one for three years no problems

if you want to spend alittle more
http://www.guitarcenter.com/G7th-405-Performance-Guitar-Capo-103377305-i1130248.gc
im planningon getting this one for myself soon

Wow, both of those look really nice. It says the first one is for classical guitars, will it work on electric?
Quote by Fullmetalzawa
Wow, both of those look really nice. It says the first one is for classical guitars, will it work on electric?

SURE!!!!!

it's even better imo, cuz it's bigger ( eg for SG models... ) for guitars who have a bigger neck
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
SURE!!!!!

it's even better imo, cuz it's bigger ( eg for SG models... ) for guitars who have a bigger neck

It's settled then; I'll get it in black.

Thanks for all the help.
Quote by Fullmetalzawa
It's settled then; I'll get it in black.

Thanks for all the help.

not interested in mine?
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
You should buy a capo for an electric guitar, because the neck of your eletric guitar is not flat, whereas the neck of a classical guitar is.

For slides, choose what you want, material and thickness does a lot.
Quote by I K0nijn I
You should buy a capo for an electric guitar, because the neck of your eletric guitar is not flat, whereas the neck of a classical guitar is.

For slides, choose what you want, material and thickness does a lot.

i don't agree with that, the neck of the EPIPHONE SG G-400 has the same kind of neck as my dad's acoustic...
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
I can vouch for the G7th performance capo that was linked to in an above post, I've spent years using Shubb capos and recently switched to the G7th. It's by FAR a superior capo, just feels a lot more solid and seems to do a better job at holding all the strings in tune, unlike the Shubb which I always had to fidget around with to get all 6 strings in tune with each other. Well worth the extra money in my opinion.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Capo's a capo. If you need quick changes get a spring loaded one. If not then get a screw on one.

Slides depend on what you're playing. I use a glass slide, some people prefer brass ones. You'll have to see which sounds best to your ears.
If you can, try the various styles on your guitar before you buy it. They can be a bit particular about the neck they rest upon. I have the Dunlop cheapie linked to earlier, it will fit near any guitar, but it is slow to use. I have the G7th 6 string performance capo also, it is lightning fast (good for performances) and works amazingly well. Even better than the ol' Dunlop. But if you get the wrong one, and it doesn't fit right, it's just a waste of money. The Dunlop was $4.00 and the G7th was $50.00. I'd take the G7th any day.

Slides? I have a glass and a brass. The both have a unique sound to them. Try them out at a store if you can, see what you prefer. Or like many of us, just get a variety if you can and be able to fill all needs. Slides aren't too terribly expensive as a rule, $5.00-$20.00 I think.
Quote by Tunder250
i don't agree with that, the neck of the EPIPHONE SG G-400 has the same kind of neck as my dad's acoustic...

Classicals are not the same as acoustics.
Classical guitars have a flat neck, electrics and acoustics do not. There might be exceptions, but that's my experience.
Quote by I K0nijn I
Classicals are not the same as acoustics.
Classical guitars have a flat neck, electrics and acoustics do not. There might be exceptions, but that's my experience.

sorry, i didn't know there was a difference between acoustic and classical guitars

my dad's acoustic is a classical guitar ( he's a beginner and uses nylon strings.. )
maybe this is the exeption?

It's a Emanuel Velazquez guitar ( never heard of it, maybe you? )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
sorry, i didn't know there was a difference between acoustic and classical guitars

my dad's acoustic is a classical guitar ( he's a beginner and uses nylon strings.. )
maybe this is the exeption?

It's a Emanuel Velazquez guitar ( never heard of it, maybe you? )

Nylon string classical guitars have different proportions (body, neck width) than steel string acoustic guitars. I'm sure most classical guitars are solely acoustic, but there are problbaly electric-acoustic models.

If that capo won't work, then I'll have to go to a guitar shop and try them out, which I should have done anyway. I don't have the funds at the moment for the G7, but it seems that a lot of people really like it, so I'll save up.

I'll also take the advice of the person who said to try out different slides and see how I like them, because I don't really have a clue whether brass or glass would be better for me.
Quote by Fullmetalzawa
Nylon string classical guitars have different proportions (body, neck width) than steel string acoustic guitars. I'm sure most classical guitars are solely acoustic, but there are problbaly electric-acoustic models.

If that capo won't work, then I'll have to go to a guitar shop and try them out, which I should have done anyway. I don't have the funds at the moment for the G7, but it seems that a lot of people really like it, so I'll save up.

I'll also take the advice of the person who said to try out different slides and see how I like them, because I don't really have a clue whether brass or glass would be better for me.

just try out before you get it

Thanks for telling me things about classical / acoustic guitars ( im a total n00b in that stuff )

about the slides: i only can say: DONT STAND ON THE GLASS ONE ( happened to me, not nice )
Just go to GC and try them out

Do you need other accesoires?
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by stoic
I've always found that elastic band style capos don't work too well. I personally like the Dunlop Trigger capo, it clamps down nicely so that all of the notes ring well and is easily movable.

+1
It's definitely worth the extra.

For slides, I personally prefer glass. It's probably best to buy a couple in different materials, then use the one you like best. You'll also have a back-up then.
RIP Adam
Last edited by SexyLikeAPig at Jul 16, 2011,
Quote by Dan_5893
Capo's a capo. If you need quick changes get a spring loaded one. If not then get a screw on one.

Slides depend on what you're playing. I use a glass slide, some people prefer brass ones. You'll have to see which sounds best to your ears.

i've got a lot of different capos.

and even tho the triggers are nice
because you can keep them on the headstock
in between use...

all capos are not the same.

G7 capos dont pull the guitar out of tune,
like almost all others.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011