Hi. I am looking for a very inexpensive accoustic guitar that has a pickup so that it can be hooked up to the PA. The church that I attend needs an accoustic guitarist, and I don't have an accoustic guitar of my own. I am able to borrow an accoustic guitar that belongs to someone who is more than willing to let me borrow it, but that one does not have a pickup, so I'd literally be taking one of the microphone and putting it near the soundhole, and doing it that way. It would not work for anything that needed to be professional, and this is in a relatively small room that I would be playing in, so it would be some kind of do-able solution, but certainly not preferable.

What's really preferable is to have an accoustic guitar with a real pickup. I am seriously short on cash, however. I do not have the cash at the moment, but within a few weeks, I could have as much as $70 to spend. That's not much at all for any kind of musical equipment, which is why I seriously need advice.

Again, I would not be playing in a large room. It's a fairly small room, and I would be playing to about 150 people every time, so it is not important that it's super high-quality or anything, but it does need to be intonated fairly close to accurately, so that it isn't too annoying to listen to, and it needs to be able to stay in tune for a 30 minute session, provided it is strung correctly and all that. If I have $70 to buy a used acoustic guitar that meets these standards, where should I look? I know $70 is ridiculous, but is it something that is even possible, or should I just have to wait for more money to come in? I know a better guitar is worth a wait, but here, I would be needed next month, and I don't have a whole lot of time. I would prefer not to have to borrow someone else's guitar for too long if I can help it.

If you have any advice or experience in this area, please help me with this. I am in big need of advise.

Also, I am not really that new to the community, but I was never really very active here, so I don't really know if this is the right board or not. Please move this thread if I have gotten it in the wrong place.

Thanks,

-Captain_GNU
Last edited by Captain_GNU at Jul 15, 2011,
i say you wait till you have a bit more money
any guitar that cost 70 dollars and has a pick up in it isnt going to be the best quality even if its used

your options become way more varied at the 250+ range
Thank you for the advice, supersac. I would like to be able to save up. It's just that $250 would take me about a year to save up if not longer, but I'll keep my eye out. Thank you for the advice.
Quote by Captain_GNU
I am able to borrow an accoustic guitar that belongs to someone who is more than willing to let me borrow it, but that one does not have a pickup, so I'd literally be taking one of the microphone and putting it near the soundhole, and doing it that way. It would not work for anything that needed to be professional

Err....

Why?

That is a MORE professional setup. Acoustic guitar pickups sound like crap (especially when we're talking about a $70 acoustic). The only reason they're used is because of the convenience. If you can mic up the acoustic, that should be much more preferable, as far as sound quality goes...

Wait and save up. You might not be able to walk around the stage much, which is why I'm assuming you don't like the micing idea... but spending $70 on ANY guitar is more than likely going to just be a waste of it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by Captain_GNU
Thank you for the advice, supersac. I would like to be able to save up. It's just that $250 would take me about a year to save up if not longer, but I'll keep my eye out. Thank you for the advice.

anything i can do to help cpet for you know buy you a new guitar

althuogth if you can maybe find a used yamaha they make really good cheap guitars and adding a pick up to it if might be a bit more then 70 dollars but if you find a cheap pup
itll run you less 250 bucks

if you want to get creative heres a link on how to make your own acoustic guitar pick ups
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Music_p005.shtml

hope things work out
just giving you some options here
Last edited by supersac at Jul 15, 2011,
@supersac: I will consider your suggestion. I was also wondering about how to make my own pickups, so thanks for linking me to that. I really do appreciate your help.

@MatrixClaw: I wasn't aware that the setup was better than that. The main thing I worry about is volume. Those microphones that they have on stage are low range microphones, and even playing loudly in a small room, it risks being drowned by the mix, but I'm sure I can work something out. Do you have any suggestions for that?

Also, about the stage size, I will hate not being able to move around on stage. But the stage is seriously small anyhow, and there is very little room to move on anyhow. Thanks for your help.