Basically I've been playing less than a year. My goal is not to be some amazing shredder soloist. My goal is to be able to play the songs of bands I like and perhaps make my own songs one day (in like another year). I've always loved catchy riffs and unusual note sequences rather than complex solos, fast sweeping, etc.

The way I learn is basically learning and getting good at one technique at a time.
For example - if I decide to learn how to tremolo pick I'll find the tab of a song I like that features tremolo picking and I will practice the tremolo picking part until I can do it like in the song. If I get stuck I'll watch videos on how to do tremolo picking and read the lessons on UG. Once I've got that down I'll begin to teach myself another technique like palm muting or pinch harmonics.

I also teach myself the whole rhythm aspects by practicing songs I like and upping the tempo as I get the rhythm to be correct.
I also regularly practice the techniques I've learned so far so as not to forget them.

I've not had any problems so far in regards to understanding how to do something. But do you think I'm teaching myself incorrectly or leaving out some important things about getting decent at guitar? I know they often say learn chords and scales but that bores me stupid.

Thanks for your criticism.
Quote by Akula KO
For example - if I decide to learn how to tremolo pick I'll find the tab of a song I like that features tremolo picking and I will practice the tremolo picking part until I can do it like in the song. If I get stuck I'll watch videos on how to do tremolo picking and read the lessons on UG. Once I've got that down I'll begin to teach myself another technique like palm muting or pinch harmonics.

This is a really good way to learn technical stuff. You can even write your own exercises to fine tune them to your specific needs.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
i know this may sound like a dicky thing but none the less its not meant to be.
but if you have a guitar with 6 strings your doing it right.
you own style and technique will evolve.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
your doing it fine
you know what your goals are and your learning methods work great(its what i did im doing fine technique wise)

learnign chords and theory can only help but noone is going to force you to learn that
Quote by supersac
learnign chords and theory can only help but noone is going to force you to learn that

So it's not a musical tragedy that I disregard chords/scales? I just prefer messing around by myself with random notes, patterns, and techs I've learned til I find something I like the sound of.
How did you go about learning guitar when you were in your 1st year?
Quote by Akula KO
So it's not a musical tragedy that I disregard chords/scales? I just prefer messing around by myself with random notes, patterns, and techs I've learned til I find something I like the sound of.
How did you go about learning guitar when you were in your 1st year?

Not to jump in, but I've literally just finished one year. For ages I just learned songs, and most of them I just muddled through. Then I posted a video here and I (rightly) got flamed. That must have been at about seven months. I was really annoyed, but I went back and began actually working to improve my technique. A big thing I've got going on to practice is to take whatever I want to practice, set my metronome, then play it solidly for 15 minutes, no more, no less. That way I practice it enough without getting bored. And if it really needs work I do that multiple times a day.

TLDR

I learned songs and was rubbish for seven months, and now I practice to a metronome and am better.

Lesson: Always use a metronome!
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube