Hey guys! Just a quick question
When sweep picking, is it best to play the note on the last/first string with inside picking or go over and do it with outside picking?

d d u/d u u/d d u/d
|------------- 14---------------------12----|
|-------- 13--------13---------13----------|
|---12--------------------12----------------|

should i learn both, or pick a specific one and always do that (i dont sweep much tho)
which one is best?

thanks ^^
When it comes down to it you will sacrifice a lot of efficiency, speed, and precision if you don't develop the ability to stay on the inside.

Those 3 note continual sweeps without a hammer-on/pull-off interval are one of the biggest challenges to play at a high rate of speed, in my personal opinion.

There is a little trick to help you break it down mentally as you are playing though, which has helped me a lot.

Basically that is a 4 step sweep, which repeats. What I do is imagine that the first two notes are one set, and the last two are a separate set.

So in one motion you will inside pick the first note, and sweep the second one. Now you have the second set, so basically repeat. Catch the inside pick on the high E note and sweep down to hit the middle note again.

This will help you stay in time if you practice it and get that whole 2 step system firmly into your muscle memory. But as always ( particularly with sweeping ) start out slow. Give your mind and muscles time to learn it properly without any errors before you start speeding it up.

Hope that helps.

Also, if it makes it easier, you can start off the very first initial note with an outside pick, and then do everything else inside. It is definitely a good idea to practice some outside picking as well because you will run into situations where it is awkward to begin a phrase with an inside pick, and this is a good way to make sure you are allowing yourself to improve upon the outside pick as well, without compromising the phrase altogether.

Peace
Quote by bitterend85
When it comes down to it you will sacrifice a lot of efficiency, speed, and precision if you don't develop the ability to stay on the inside.

Those 3 note continual sweeps without a hammer-on/pull-off interval are one of the biggest challenges to play at a high rate of speed, in my personal opinion.

There is a little trick to help you break it down mentally as you are playing though, which has helped me a lot.

Basically that is a 4 step sweep, which repeats. What I do is imagine that the first two notes are one set, and the last two are a separate set.

So in one motion you will inside pick the first note, and sweep the second one. Now you have the second set, so basically repeat. Catch the inside pick on the high E note and sweep down to hit the middle note again.

This will help you stay in time if you practice it and get that whole 2 step system firmly into your muscle memory. But as always ( particularly with sweeping ) start out slow. Give your mind and muscles time to learn it properly without any errors before you start speeding it up.

Hope that helps.

Also, if it makes it easier, you can start off the very first initial note with an outside pick, and then do everything else inside. It is definitely a good idea to practice some outside picking as well because you will run into situations where it is awkward to begin a phrase with an inside pick, and this is a good way to make sure you are allowing yourself to improve upon the outside pick as well, without compromising the phrase altogether.

Peace

thanks bro ill get at it then ;D
I would generally say inside is better, but sometimes outside just works better - Steve Vai uses it quite often because the direction change happens on the beat rather than before it, which can be quite nice musically.

I agree, 3 string sweeps are brutal because you have to sweep really well while changing directions really frequently. Personally I always start my pupils on 5 string C-shapes...