Any suggestions?

I'm using a PreSonus Firestudio Mobile if that's any help.
Gear:
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey 6505+ Combo (60w)
Roland Cube 20w
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-5
The akg perception 220 is great but if you could get the perception 420 used that would be even better
Quote by MemaG
sm58... best and cheeper.

For vocals, no. Nice try though

Rode NT1-A
Audio Technica AT4040
Blue Spark
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
For vocals, no. Nice try though

Rode NT1-A
Audio Technica AT4040
Blue Spark

The answer is whatever sounds good with your voice. You can get a very usable result with an SM58... but more often than not a condenser is the way to go. It depends!
Using an SM58 requires a bit more mixing and altering after you recorded (not too much), but other than that it has worked great for me.
Lascaille's Shroud

Progressive Cosmic Death Metal

Facebook
YouTube
Soundcloud

You only exist because we allow it,
And you will end because we demand it.
Just to throw out something a little higher end, I LOVE the Shure SM7b. Killer mic, needs a lot of gain, but the sound works awesome on a lot of sources.
Quote by Afroboy267
Where did you find that for around $200? O.o

Used for around $200 all the time

As for the 58. Yes, its doable. Hell, you can record with a ****ing PC headset. But, it takes more work than it typically takes with a condenser mic.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
The correct response here is...

For what kind of vocals?

If you're doing just singing, definitely get a condenser. If you can find a used Sterling ST-79 in your price range, get it, they are awesome.

If you're doing just screaming, I'd go for a dynamic. It's a bit out of your price range, but a Shure SM7B will never let you down and you'll never have to upgrade. There are some screamers that sound great through condensers, and some that sound horrible, better to get a dynamic and have good results either way.

For a mix of both, it's up to you. I'd probably get one of each - A used AT4040 and an SM58.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 16, 2011,