Page 1 of 2
When you talk to babies or pets do you use the voice?

Someone explain why we do this please.
Same reason why some people speak real slow and profoundly pronounce every syllable when speaking to someone that doesn't their language.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Nobody likes a loud, deep booming voice especially people/animals smaller than you. They seem to respond in a positive way when you do it.
Is it weird that my buddy's girlfriend talks like that all the time to him and to others as well 3/4 of the time? Cause I wanna muff punt her off a bridge every time I hear her talk.
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
Cause in a way my dog is my baby She is one of the few living things I actually have a feeling of love for. She's also kinda nervous, seeing as I'm the only male in the family besides my Dad and he doesn't really care for the dogs, and talking like that seems to encourage her and make her feel at ease.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

I used to do that with my dog and she loved it.

Now I do that with my birds and turtle.
STಠ_ಠ
ya i do it with my cat too because he's my baby

i used to have a friend who's a big tough guy and then he would talk like that to his cat, it was pretty funny
I don't talk to babies that way. I speak normal, with sarcasm and different parts of speech normally used with babies. They seem to like it better. It makes them feel important
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Yup sure do.

As for why most people do it, at least speaking in terms of evolution, a less threatening presence is established by using a higher-pitched voice, which betters family unity, blah blah blah, more people. That's the theory for ancient man until a better one comes out. Best guess why we do it for animals too is the generalization of babies/the coevolution of humans and dogs (we're very closely entwined, like the two trees in the Amazon). Again, this is all speculation and there is very little evidence that supports the notion, but none that refutes it, so this is we've got.

/thread
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by Maillouxlp18
Is it weird that my buddy's girlfriend talks like that all the time to him and to others as well 3/4 of the time? Cause I wanna muff punt her off a bridge every time I hear her talk.

Yes it is.

You should (muff punt her that is).

OT: I do sometimes with my dog, but I can't do it for very long without feeling weird >_>
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Bitches fucking love it. As do male dogs.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

sometimes, most of the time i talk to them as if they can actually understand me, just in case they really can......
Quote by jakesmellspoo
sometimes, most of the time i talk to them as if they can actually understand me, just in case they really can......

Quote by Maillouxlp18
I wanna muff punt her off a bridge every time I hear her talk.

this is gold
1969 Honey Burst Les Paul
2001 Gibson SG
2009 Martin D-15m
2006 Fender Sonoran

1979 MusicMan HD130 2-12
Framus 2-12 V30's
Blackstar HT5

Blackstar Dist-x
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone

View my Pedal Thread
Quote by Andrea55
I used to do that with my dog and she loved it.

Now I do that with my birds and turtle.

You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Never had a dog, but babies definately respond positively to that sort of stuff.
No, I talk to them like they're intelligent enough to understand me. I reckon they actually are, and are just faking their ignorance.

Especially my cats, they know when they do wrong because you just say their name slightly dissaprovingly and they look ashamed and slink away.
I talk with action. I like to call my cat over with a snap of the fingers. It happily trots over and I back-hand it to the floor. It usually whimpers just a little as it felt my hand. I than become very nice to the cat for the sole purpose of gaining it's trust. It usually takes about three months to reprogram that stupid bundle of nerves. It is exhilarating watching this animal happily run to it's trusted owner. Only to be beaten down for no reason. The look on the cats face is priceless. It looks up at me with a mix of love and confusion. It never shows anger.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by ripple07
I talk with action. I like to call my cat over with a snap of the fingers. It happily trots over and I back-hand it to the floor. It usually whimpers just a little as it felt my hand. I than become very nice to the cat for the sole purpose of gaining it's trust. It usually takes about three months to reprogram that stupid bundle of nerves. It is exhilarating watching this animal happily run to it's trusted owner. Only to be beaten down for no reason. The look on the cats face is priceless. It looks up at me with a mix of love and confusion. It never shows anger.

Too far, have you gone.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
Too far, have you gone.

No offence, but I have every right to do this with my animal. Keeping any animal is a cruel thing to do. Look in the mirror before casting me down, sir.

I should also say that my point is the baby voice is pointless. You can be mean to your pet and never talk with your voice, but it will still respond. Talk with action.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Last edited by ripple07 at Jul 16, 2011,
You can't talk to a dog with your normal speaking voice, they would think you've gone insane.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
I don't talk to pets like that. In fact, most of the time I spend talking to them I'm yelling "No!" at them for something or calling them stupid.

...I promise as long as I'm not talking I'm actually a very loving owner.
Quote by ripple07
No offence, but I have every right to do this with my animal. Keeping any animal is a cruel thing to do. Look in the mirror before casting me down, sir.

I should also say that my point is the baby voice is pointless. You can be mean to your pet and never talk with your voice, but it will still respond. Talk with action.

Look in the mirror? Lols. Who says i own an animal? Trolololo look in my house before casting me down sir torlolololo

I do not own an animal, as i have no wish to.

Every right to do so? Yes that's true, is it fair and ok to treat an animal this way? I shall step back and allow the shit storm to commence.

Animals are trained, but it sounds more like abuse from your end, sadistic abuse.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by ripple07

Are you actually serious?
Babies respond better to high pitched voices. I find child language development quite dull as linguistics goes so don't remember the intricacies of this, but I did read a study showing that a baby's attention peaks when listening to a "baby talk" voice but when the parent talks to the other parent in a normal voice the baby loses attention because it knows they are not talking to her/him.

Other adults will of course think you're a pillock if you talk to your kid like this all the time. It sounds so stupid
Quote by ripple07

Whu.. but... I mean...

NO

This better be trolling.
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
Are you actually serious?

Yes. And I love my cat, I really do. I am just aware of it's simple brain. I spent years trying to "be nice to it", but I realized the cat didn't really seem to care. All that matters is that I am there. I feed it and take care of it. But I am not delusional thinking that it "loves me". Owning an animal is sick and unnatural to begin with.
Quote by Gabel
Quote by ripple07
Yes. And I love my cat, I really do. I am just aware of it's simple brain. I spent years trying to "be nice to it", but I realized the cat didn't really seem to care. All that matters is that I am there. I feed it and take care of it. But I am not delusional thinking that it "loves me". Owning an animal is sick and unnatural to begin with.

Really? You believe that animals are incapable of emotion?
Quote by SG_dave
Really? You believe that animals are incapable of emotion?

No. I believe they are very capable. Not human emotion, though. If that makes sense.
Quote by Gabel
Quote by ripple07
No. I believe they are very capable. Not human emotion, though. If that makes sense.

I'm assuming you subscribe to the "cupboard love" train of thought. Animals only show interest in their owners because they've learnt that these people feed them.

Personally I believe that yes pets do learn when someone will feed them, and this makes them show interest and possibly "feign" love I also believe that they also learn to feel secure with their owner and this makes them genuinely happy. Any further than that it becomes an argument about the nature of love.
Quote by SG_dave
I'm assuming you subscribe to the "cupboard love" train of thought. Animals only show interest in their owners because they've learnt that these people feed them.

Personally I believe that yes pets do learn when someone will feed them, and this makes them show interest and possibly "feign" love I also believe that they also learn to feel secure with their owner and this makes them genuinely happy. Any further than that it becomes an argument about the nature of love.

Very true... Humans project their own emotions on animals without thinking about how the animal actualy feels. Certainly it is not the same emotion we have. Acting like they are human is ignoring reality, and quite frankly neglecting their actual needs. Their emotions are just as profound, but in a different way.
Quote by Gabel
Quote by ripple07
Very true... Humans project their own emotions on animals without thinking about how the animal actualy feels. Certainly it is not the same emotion we have. Acting like they are human is ignoring reality, and quite frankly neglecting their actual needs. Their emotions are just as profound, but in a different way.

Now we're getting into some really deep shit. I am nowhere near blazed enough to wax this philosophical yet
Page 1 of 2