Does anyone have any info/clips of a fender bass IV, the six string bass from the sixties. I'm really curious about the sound, but haven't been able to find any clips of anything
The Schecter Hellcat is a better take on the idea than is the Fender. It is a great deal less expensive, too.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Spaz91
Bass VI, not IV. Frettedamericana on youtube have loads of videos of it.

though I hear they have some great bass IV's ground breaking in their day. Also Phil X is the best of late night youtube entertainment.

To the TS, rondomusic also has it's own take on the bass VI I forget the name Argus I think... a few color and pickup and bridge options, but they seem to sell a set number of each, and the disappear out of stock fast and without warning.
I second pretty much this whole thread. except the part abou tthe schecter hellcat. not as mojo-y, but still a good option.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I have a Schecter Ultra VI, which is basically a hellcat vi with an ultra body and diferent pickups. ...I guess that makes it a bit different. lol

The fender is better then the schecter simply because it has a vibrato arm. That said, the Ultra VI was a good buy. I put the hellcat Labella flats on it, and it sounds great. I didn't like the strings that came with it, but the Labella HC-6Fs are pretty cheap. So who cares. :-)

I think the VI-style basses rock in general. I love the format, and it really gets you thinking because there is so much you can do on it. It was money well spent.

Phil X has me thinking I need a tonemaster to play it thought though. lol
so a scheter's the best bet for a modern, affordable one of these then? shame there's not enough of a market for fender to keep em in permanent production
Quote by teh_goon
so a scheter's the best bet for a modern, affordable one of these then? shame there's not enough of a market for fender to keep em in permanent production

Schecter is probably your best bet. Original Bass VI's turn up every once in a while, but they're very collectible and fetch stupid expensive prices.

The Fender Custom Shop put out a run of NOS Bass VI's a couple years ago, and IIRC Fender Japan did a run in the 90's, but even if you found one you're easily looking at $2000+. Probably more.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
there's also danelectro/jerry jones, they have some baritones and bass VI style stuff
Quote by KFC_Conspiracy
The fender is better then the schecter simply because it has a vibrato arm.

A completely useless vibrato arm might I add.

There are old CIJ reissues that pop up at around the 1k mark, but not often. I've seen a couple on eBay.
Don't Rondo do a couple of 30" VI-esque sixers? In their electric guitars section.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
A completely useless vibrato arm might I add.

Do you say it is useless because it is unusable and causes tuning issues or because you don't find a need for a vibrato arm on a VI? I'm asking because when playing the Ultra VI, there are times when a vibrato arm would be great to have. I play chords on my VI instead of on guitar though. I hate those small lil'strings, and I wouldn't mind some surf-vibrato-action on my Ultra VI.

Has anyone done a good comparision of the Hellcat VI and Ultra VI? I know the pickups are different, but I'm wondering how how that translates to sound. The Ultra VI has good tone, BTW.
A) Unusable and tuning issues. Just terribly thought out in general.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
A) Unusable and tuning issues. Just terribly thought out in general.

Ahhh thanks! Sometimes playing a chord on the GBE strings just calls out for a surf style trem-wobble. I wonder if putting a bigsby on the Ultra VI would work. I'm sort of shy about trying it since I'm a lefty, and it is hard to find lefty-VIs.

As a side-question, what sort of amps/cabs is everyone running their VIs through? I've been thinking about picking up a super-sonic 22 combo for it. (BTW, I play my "normal" bass parts on my hofner through an ampeg.)
i dunno if a bigsby would work cos the bridge would be an odd size, try emailing them ior summat
much of Cream's Fresh Cream was recorded with a Bass VI.

for the troll value, I'm saying baritone guitar.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I know baritones aren't bass IV's equivalents, merely letting him know the company had several extended range options, jerry jones and danelectro I think have two bass VI options one if I recall was more bass like with thicker strings and the other thinner, maybe that was the baritone, but I don't think so. Either way the thicker one seemed to be less for chords and more for melodious lines, where as the thinner one seemed more for thick meaty chords and spaghetti western shoot out themes.

Edit: I'd be extremely wary about putting a bigsby on anything like that, I can't remember if the string part of the bigsby is aluminum or not, but those thick strings, plus tension might seriously degrage that bigsy like a grater to cheese. I think flats and very "tasteful" use of the arm would be the only method of prolonging it's life if it worked.
Last edited by askrere at Jul 18, 2011,
Too bad Kahler doesn't make a six-string bass tremolo. That would be a cool addition to a Hellcat.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by askrere

Edit: I'd be extremely wary about putting a bigsby on anything like that, I can't remember if the string part of the bigsby is aluminum or not, but those thick strings, plus tension might seriously degrage that bigsy like a grater to cheese. I think flats and very "tasteful" use of the arm would be the only method of prolonging it's life if it worked.

I already have flats on her.

From what I can tell, the Ultra VI has the same bridge as the Ultra II with different saddles. If you check out the Ultra III, it has the same bridge as the II with a bigsby for the tailpiece instead of the tonepro hardtail. So, it should work.

I'm more worried about a successful install then anything else. Just because it should work definately doesn't mean it will. I just assume that I'll have to tune it every 15 minutes or so. lol

Both the Bigsby B5 and B50 are solid aluminum. There is no way the strings would be able to damage it. Think about it, the Ultra VI has the same tailpeice as the Ultra II. The E string barely fits through the hole in the tailpeice. The real questions are will it fit(should), and how will the tuning be?

The tuning should be workable since the Gretsch Jet Baritone in 29.75 scale length and has a bigsby B50. 1/4 of an inch difference might make for some tuning instability, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

...I think I have to do it.

I've just got to find a good luthier because I definately don't trust the average guitar tech with something like this.