So today I went to a music store and plugged a G&L ASAT Classic (swamp ash body & company pickups) into a Blackstar HT-100 head and cab...

and for some reason it sounded freakin great for any genre!

had great dynamics, when the gain was turned up, the distortion blended well and made great impact, and the cleans were just great in every way

why is this so? a "tele" normally doesn't sound so thick and awesome

so my question is this: is it the wood (swamp ash), or the amp & cab that made this setup sound so good, because i can tell you this, the pickups were certainly not what made this combo shine

and it's because of this experience it has me questioning what i want to seek out in my guitars, because comparably, my 7 string (basswood body, maple neck, dimarzio x2n & air norton) into my amp (see sig) sounds a bit empty

to be fair to my amp, i have NO idea about how old the tubes are or how they're biased

thanks for any thoughts
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
You were playing a £2k setup? What were you expecting?

The ASAT classic swamp ash is a high end guitar, just because the pups are made by G&L doesnt mean fullerton couldnt make a good pickup.

Teles always sound awesome, you're delusional.

Ash is a nice tonewood. But pickups make more of an impact than body wood.

Try the amp with a different guitar see what you think.

The XXX is a pretty bright amp from what I hear. Maybe you're missing some low end and body.

Your guitars are fine, amp is usually the culprit if you arent happy with your tone.
Great Guitar; great amp; great tone. Why ask questions? Buy the f%cking rig!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
well what i meant about the tele is that you don't normally hear about them for their epic metal sounds

other than that, i'm not unhappy with my tone so much as it feels like it only has 1-2 really good ones, and i wish it had more for its price

EDIT:
also, i wouldn't expect my 7 string would sound so much worse
so, would you still say the amp was what i was hearing? because, no offense, good guitar while it may be, i doubt it did the majority of the work
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Last edited by Metalmaker at Jul 15, 2011,
Ditch the peavey, those things suck. Never did anything good for me. I can make a $50 strat copy sound good through a Blackstar. lol