As the title states What is progressive metal or Prog, can someone give me an explanation to just define what it is exactly and some good progressive metal and progressive deathmetal bands as well as any good guitar techniques i can try out
Why don't you just look up the definition of the word "progressive" and apply to the concept of "metal music."
For some progressive death metal, try Gorguts - Obscura, Cynic - Focus, and Tholus - Constant

Or just check the recommendations thread's first page, lots of good stuff there.
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."
Progressive Is an adjective to describe music that pushes the boundaries of the norm for a particular genre; in rock, it meant treating your album / songs holistcally and creating an aural tapestry akin to the melodic narrative of a symphony, albeit without the constraint of a sonata form. Typically, you see tip top tier musicianship and instrument voices not usually associated with the standard.

Good progressive metal albums...

Enslaved - Viking Veldigr
Necromass - Abyss Calls Life
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Necromantia - Crossing the Fiery Path
Ildjarn - Nidhogg
Gorguts - Obscura
Emperor - Into a Nightside Eclipse
King Crimson - Red
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by progbass

Enslaved - Viking Veldigr
Ildjarn - Nidhogg
Gorguts - Obscura
Emperor - Into a Nightside Eclipse
King Crimson - Red

wtf brah no dream theater or opeth u gay
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
I think guys like Ihsahn, Devin Townsend, and Meshuggah shouldn't be categorised alongside cookie-cutter prog like Dream Theater and Animals As Leaders.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Quote by progbass

Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
Gorguts - Obscura
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
King Crimson - Red

Sorry, had to fix a few things. It's a compulsive thing.

Also, to what Ildjarn - Nidhogg album are you referring? If anything, Ildjarn is transgressive/regressive.
The Ildjarn-Nidhogg s/t. For black metal, the simplicity of the riffs are just part of the aesthetic; the true progressive nature lies in the structure and subtle variations of melody. I agree though that the general theme of the album is a regressive movement
HESSIAN HAREM
As far as being literally progressive: What proggy said.

As far as the genre:Bad
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by progbass
The Ildjarn-Nidhogg s/t. For black metal, the simplicity of the riffs are just part of the aesthetic; the true progressive nature lies in the structure and subtle variations of melody. I agree though that the general theme of the album is a regressive movement

I would have to agree for the album taken as a whole, whereby a long series of simple songs slowly vary and evolve over the course of an album in an analogous manner to how Burzum would use riffs in a song.

I still fundamentally consider it regressive and transgressive, however. I think the logic of viewing it as progressive is somewhat disingenuous or perhaps rather provides a wrong picture of the work.
Maybe it would sit better if I corrected myself to describe it as an exceptional example of minimalistic progressive music?

Irregardless, I believe that album and his other work with Nidhogg to be the future of black metal - proud, subtle, oft without percussion or variations from an ambient like beat, and a resurgence of pre pop folk like instrument voices (in tandem with nationality and nationalist ideals)
HESSIAN HAREM