I want a pedal to get that distortion sound from The Bends, and Pablo Honey, specially that bit from Creep with the crazy high gain.

Clips of the sound I want:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_QqX5ioWM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttEtAWBqRf4

Pedals I am considering:
Boss Mega Distortion
Hardwire SC 2
HipKitty Ox blood (there is a nice demo of this in the proguitarshop website)
Hip Kitty Java

I have a Fender MIA Strat, and play through a Laney RB3 (it is a bass combo.. I'll be upgrading soon, but for now I do not mind it.)

What would you suggest I buy? And what other general tips for getting that type of sound would you suggest?
What is mind? no matter. What is matter? Never mind.
Jonny Greenwood used a Pro Co RAT on The Bends. Other bands who used the RAT include Pavement, Yo La Tengo, and Blur. You can dial in everything from a mild overdrive, to a noisier distortion, to Big Muff-like leads at times. Definitely needs to be tweaked a lot though, and you'll want to try one out, as the model has changed in sound over the years. I'd definitely recommend it for that noisy 90's distortion sound, though.
The rat is sweet but unless its an old one the Boss Blues Driver works better to get that sound (2 o'clock for level, 3:45 for tone, 2:00 for gain). Again, I don't know about the old rats but the bd does a better job than the new ones. I'm sure a lot depends on your guitar and amp too though
^ +1 that's what i've always heard

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1 that's what i've always heard

Yep, me too but I am not in the position to buy it, and what seems to be the modern equivalent, (Jackhammer) I don't really like.
It is said that he used that one for the high gain part of Creep, but IMHO it is an estimation at most, since there are three guitarists in the band, that's why I much rather ask how to get that sound, than what pedals did they supposedly use.

The Blues driver hasn't got enough gain, it falls on the overdrive category. I am digging the Rat.. I am still considering the Hardwire and the HipKittys, and liking the You Dirty Rat quite a bit. I'll take my time when I go to the store next time to play with each.

I feel like I am making one of the hardest decisions of my life lol. I am only 17 and just started making some money, it feels larger than life.
What is mind? no matter. What is matter? Never mind.
Last edited by Ponyy at Jul 18, 2011,
Quote by Ponyy
Yep, me too but I am not in the position to buy it, and what seems to be the modern equivalent, (Jackhammer) I don't really like.
It is said that he used that one for the high gain part of Creep, but IMHO it is an estimation at most, since there are three guitarists in the band, that's why I much rather ask how to get that sound, than what pedals did they supposedly use.

The Blues driver hasn't got enough gain, it falls on the overdrive category. I am digging the Rat.. I am still considering the Hardwire and the HipKittys, and liking the You Dirty Rat quite a bit. I'll take my time when I go to the store next time to play with each.

I feel like I am making one of the hardest decisions of my life lol. I am only 17 and just started making some money, it feels larger than life.

the marshall blues breaker 2 has enough gain for that sound. i'm not really a big fan of radiohead but that's just me
ah ok

byoc offers a kit for the shredmaster, i think. and a rat. so does general guitar gadgets (rat), and it's a bit cheaper than BYOC.

that's if you can solder, of course. some people will make BYOC kits for you, but that's going to up the price.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?