My budget is like $200-$300 and I want a guitar that looks good and sound at least OK. I play just by myself so no concerts or shows or anything like that.
I really like david gilmour's stratocaster anyone recommend some guitars that look like that but wayyy cheaper?

PS: I dont want a normal looking guitar not some crazy shit guitar like this:

I am willing to buy used, and I want to play muse, nirvana, and pink floyd for their solos
Last edited by icecoldstar at Jul 16, 2011,
are you willing to buy a used guitar? you can find a used mexican strat for that price considering they are $499 new. but were going to need some additional info like:

what amp do u have/plan on getting
Budget for amp
genre you will be playing?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
are you willing to buy a used guitar? you can find a used mexican strat for that price considering they are $499 new. but were going to need some additional info like:

what amp do u have/plan on getting
Budget for amp
genre you will be playing?

Was about to say this myself, also..
If you are not willing to buy used, you can always get a Squier Strat for around $150 and replace the white pickguard with a black one, to get that Gilmour look
I am willing to buy used, and I want to play muse, nirvana, and pink floyd for their solos. I'm not into HEAVY HEAVY distortion stuff at all though.

and does amp make much of a difference? I will be playing in my apartment and their will be neighbors so I can't be too loud all the time etc.
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster is the ONLY Fender Stratocaster that looks like David Gilmour's, well, except for his Signature model... :P

It's better than the regular Mexican Standard, and it's the same price!

It's $499 though, so I suggest you wait until you can afford that much.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-FSR-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-105949275-i1559901.gc?&source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=728335279

I got one of these last May, and I LOVE IT!

(I am also a huge fan of Gilmour!)
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
as i said, used mexican strat will get you those tones
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by BlindNematode
Was about to say this myself, also..
If you are not willing to buy used, you can always get a Squier Strat for around $150 and replace the white pickguard with a black one, to get that Gilmour look

Is Squier Strat really shitty or what? I searched my local craigslist and they sell for like $75.... I do not know much about these guitars so don't lead me the wrong way lol
Quote by EspTro
as i said, used mexican strat will get you those tones

What is a mexican strat? Is it like a kind of fender stratocaster but made by mexicans
and is this the right one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Mexican-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-/120749327199?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c1d38835f

also can anyone explain to me what he meant by "pulling (bending) the high E at the 17th fret creates a little buzz, and pulling it up high enough at the 17th causes the string to go dead"??
Quote by icecoldstar
What is a mexican strat? Is it like a kind of fender stratocaster but made by mexicans
and is this the right one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Mexican-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-/120749327199?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c1d38835f

also can anyone explain to me what he meant by "pulling (bending) the high E at the 17th fret creates a little buzz, and pulling it up high enough at the 17th causes the string to go dead"??

yea actually. its a real fender, better pickups and hardware then a squire, assembled in Mexico (not like deep mexico, baha california) some people swear by their quality up against american strats (twice the cost) definatley a great first guitar for any play style and you cant beat those cleans on that thing. now back to the amp.....this guitar wont matter without the amp.....at least tone wise. the playability is great
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by icecoldstar

this is called "fretting out" usually an intonation issue
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by icecoldstar
Is Squier Strat really shitty or what? I searched my local craigslist and they sell for like $75.... I do not know much about these guitars so don't lead me the wrong way lol

It depends on what model you get. Some Squires, especially the older Korean models, can be really awful. But relative to their prices the new Squire models, especially the vintage and classic vibe guitars, are a great deal. Read up on guitars in the review section! If you can score a decent Squire for under $100 and then spent another $50 having a guitar tech set it up for you you could probably end up with a decent low-cost beginner guitar.
If you really, really wanna learn guitar a used mexi-strat would be perfect imo. They're so common, desperate people sell 'em for $200 on craigslist. They start out(stock) as a beginner guitar but its a guitar that can grow with you as you learn to play and learn what you like to play. Really you should go to guitar center and spend several hours trying out everything you see, taking care to put things back where they don't belong, detuning every guitar once you're finished trying it out, leaving any amp you try (plus those you're near) on(make sure standby is off) and have a good time but make sure you don't buy anything! If they ask you to leave, tell 'em they put your granpappi outta business after 52 years, spit on the manager(not the salespeople, they just like guitars), and kick the most expensive kickable "product" you run past on your way out.
Quote by lucky1978
If you really, really wanna learn guitar a used mexi-strat would be perfect imo. They're so common, desperate people sell 'em for $200 on craigslist. They start out(stock) as a beginner guitar but its a guitar that can grow with you as you learn to play and learn what you like to play. Really you should go to guitar center and spend several hours trying out everything you see, taking care to put things back where they don't belong, detuning every guitar once you're finished trying it out, leaving any amp you try (plus those you're near) on(make sure standby is off) and have a good time but make sure you don't buy anything! If they ask you to leave, tell 'em they put your granpappi outta business after 52 years, spit on the manager(not the salespeople, they just like guitars), and kick the most expensive kickable "product" you run past on your way out.

Those mexican strats only have 21 frets
some pink floyd/guns N roses songs go up to 22 fret.... should i be worried?
Quote by lucky1978
Really you should go to guitar center and spend several hours trying out everything you see, taking care to put things back where they don't belong, detuning every guitar once you're finished trying it out, leaving any amp you try (plus those you're near) on(make sure standby is off) and have a good time but make sure you don't buy anything! If they ask you to leave, tell 'em they put your granpappi outta business after 52 years, spit on the manager(not the salespeople, they just like guitars), and kick the most expensive kickable "product" you run past on your way out.

I love the way you think. . Used Mexi fat strat would be a good choice. You should be able to get around not having a 22nd fret. You can always bend the 21st into the same pitch as the 22nd and i doubt you will even need that fret that much when your just starting.
Last edited by redandwhite12 at Jul 16, 2011,