So I'm a very amateur singer; I've never taken singing lessons or anything. What exactly could I do to not just improve my range, but also my voice itself? I have an okay range for someone who's never taken any kind of voice lesson, but at a certain point, I can hit the notes, but it just doesn't sound very good, which effectively narrows my range to like an octave or two, maybe. How exactly can I improve not just my range but also the timbre of my voice? Am I just stuck with a 'meh' singing voice forever?
"Love everything. Know nothing."

"What do you mean 'do you even know how to play bongo drums?'?! Do I not have hands?! And pot?!"
You answered your own question. Take lessons!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Well unfortunately, I do not have the money or time to take voice lessons. And I meant something a bit more specific to improve the timbre of my voice; for instance, I heard that plugging your ears lets you hear your voice more similarly to how others hear it; would that work?

"What do you mean 'do you even know how to play bongo drums?'?! Do I not have hands?! And pot?!"
Quote by TheJake1
Well unfortunately, I do not have the money or time to take voice lessons. And I meant something a bit more specific to improve the timbre of my voice; for instance, I heard that plugging your ears lets you hear your voice more similarly to how others hear it; would that work?

It lets you hear your pitch - I'm not sure about tone.
I'm struggling with the same thing, and lessons are not an option for me. Right now I'm just trying to practice different songs that exercise different areas of my voice, and I'm still seriously bad. You're not alone, and I could basically ask the same question. :\
See, the problem with just practicing on your own is that you only practice the bad habits (or at least the absence of good ones) that you have already. You'll get better at being what you already are, which isn't what you want.

A teacher will help you actually produce your voice properly so that you can replace your bad habits with good ones, and then practice those good habits.

Also see: http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=30

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I've heard quite a bit about that Bel Canto technique, I may give that a try. Though either way singing lessons aren't an option for me right now, as I have neither the time (college student here) nor the money (again, broke college student). I do have a fairly good quality audio/video recorder though; would perhaps recording myself sing and listening to the playback help? If nothing else I do have a couple of friends who sing really well who I can get to critique my voice.

Quote by TheJake1
I've heard quite a bit about that Bel Canto technique, I may give that a try. Though either way singing lessons aren't an option for me right now, as I have neither the time (college student here) nor the money (again, broke college student). I do have a fairly good quality audio/video recorder though; would perhaps recording myself sing and listening to the playback help? If nothing else I do have a couple of friends who sing really well who I can get to critique my voice.

Do both. Getting opinions from other people is great. The fact that they're singers is gravy.
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. Iv'e seen the most improvement by recording myself singing and doing scale exercises.
Quote by Cowless
Do both. Getting opinions from other people is great. The fact that they're singers is gravy.

Alrighty, that sounds good, thanks for the advice!