Page 1 of 3
Well, Marty Friedman is one of my favorite guitarists, he was in Megadeth (one of my favorite bands) for 10 years even though he left back in 1999. I thought the reason he left was because Dave Mustaine wasn't giving him enough breathing room when it came to writing music. Well, after a while, he moves to Japan to write J-Pop, and he said that he wasn't as big as a fan of Thrash Metal as he used to be and that he liked rock and pop more. I mean come on that's something that a poser wearing a Megadeth shirt would say. Then I realized that Dave Mustaine restricted Friedman to writing solos just so Friedman wouldn't turn Megadeth into a pop-oriented direction like Metallica.

Also, Marty Friedman made a remake of Tornado of Souls, I didn't like the remake because it sounded more like rock, the solo was more refined then the original though.

Tornado of Souls - Megadeth

Tornado of Souls - Marty Friedman remake

Dave Mustaine probably got pissed when he heard the remake.

So has anyone else ever been alienated by people they look up to?
My dad. With his drunkenness/pot smoking/tearing my family apart basically
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
So you're alienated by your guitar hero because he wants to write different music? I should have given up on Paul Westerberg ages ago.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I don't look up to anybody.
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
So you're alienated by your guitar hero because he wants to write different music? I should have given up on Paul Westerberg ages ago.

I still like Marty Friedman as a guitarist, its just that it's shocking to hear that the reason one of your favorite guitarists left one of your favorite metal bands to write pop. That's like finding out Mohandas Gandhi kicked puppies for fun.
Obama....

I'm mostly disappointed with how he sucks up to the Republicans. I would've bitch slapped that Eric guy.
Quote by CannedBullets
I still like Marty Friedman as a guitarist, its just that it's shocking to hear that the reason one of your favorite guitarists left one of your favorite metal bands to write pop. That's like finding out Mohandas Gandhi kicked puppies for fun.

I don't think so. It's all music. One of my favorite songwriters used to be in a hardcore punk band and now he's writing pseudo-folk music.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Nothing wrong with leaving a band to write music you prefer to write. Is it just the fact you don't like pop?
On topic I look up to my mum a hell of a lot. I felt let down when she had an affair.
Michael Todd. He's my favorite bass player. I think you've all heard about his recent shenanigans.

Matt Embree and Between the Buried and Me because of their die hard PETA support. Don't get me wrong, I still love their music, I just lost respect for them when I realized they supported PETA.
Last edited by BurningStarlV at Jul 16, 2011,
Love the fact that TS started with some bullshit "A musician started writing different music Q_Q" post, and the first one was a legit "deadbeat dad" post.

Sorry TS, you lose.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by WaterGod
Obama....

I'm mostly disappointed with how he sucks up to the Republicans. I would've bitch slapped that Eric guy.

Obama wooed the country was all sorts of wonderful sounding promises and slick rhetoric, but the man is the biggest vag in the White House since Monica Lewinsky. All this cooperation bullshit is ridiculous. When you're in politics, you don't suck your oppositions dick in hopes of getting something done. You crush them and do as you please. Obama is too busy trying to make sure he doesn't piss off John Boner and company to actually do anything useful.

Not trying to turn this into the politics thread, but goddamn have I ever been disappointed by Obama. Not doing us brothers any favors. We fought hard enough to get into the "White" House, and now he's making it tougher than tits to get back.
Mic Todd
Quote by AlecMag
I love that song! You are god for putting it into a poem

Quote by LadyHellRaiser
Your hair is fckin epic, dude!!!

LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by rmr024
no ****in way!
I don't even know you but I think I love you...

So awesome.

I hate my fucking username.
Quote by CannedBullets

Yeah cause metal and pop are opposites.
If anything, that makes him more of a role model. He gave up being in a very popular and successful band in order to record music that he loved, even if it meant alienating his fanbase.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Because pop music isn't music, as we all know. And because a guitarist decided to be authentic to himself and write the music he wants to write, that has disappointed our poor TS here.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Quote by CrucialGutchman
Obama wooed the country was all sorts of wonderful sounding promises and slick rhetoric, but the man is the biggest vag in the White House since Monica Lewinsky. All this cooperation bullshit is ridiculous. When you're in politics, you don't suck your oppositions dick in hopes of getting something done. You crush them and do as you please. Obama is too busy trying to make sure he doesn't piss off John Boner and company to actually do anything useful.

Not trying to turn this into the politics thread, but goddamn have I ever been disappointed by Obama. Not doing us brothers any favors. We fought hard enough to get into the "White" House, and now he's making it tougher than tits to get back.

This attitude coming from (mostly) a majority of the Republicans is contributing to the massive shithole the USA is in now.

OT: My mom. Only now I begin to see how much she doesn't like people that aren't as white as the freshly fallen snow.
Quote by phlip999
This attitude coming from (mostly) a majority of the Republicans is contributing to the massive shithole the USA is in now.

I forgot that in UGland every problem with the world is traced back to Republicans.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Honestly, I was really disappointed by Misha Mansoor. He didn't seem very happy to talk to anyone.. I went up to see him after his set, bought a shirt, and got his autograph ("buLb" with a dot in each "b", and an uppercase L. It's kinda cool) on my Periphery Cd booklet. I was like "You played so great, man. It was awesome to finally see and meet you" we shook hands, but he never said thank you or anything. Just nodded without even a smile..

Idk, i'm just a butthurt fan

Alex Bois certainly made up for it. Ran into him after the show, talked for like 15 minutes, got pictures, it was just great. He seemed so grateful towards us as fans.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I don't think so. It's all music. One of my favorite songwriters used to be in a hardcore punk band and now he's writing pseudo-folk music.

Frank Turner?
And TS, your reason is ridiculous. People's taste in music evolve. It's just a thing that happens to everyone.

Quote by Gerard_xD
Frank Turner?
And TS, your reason is ridiculous. People's taste in music evolve. It's just a thing that happens to everyone.

Nah, Paul Westerberg
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Nah, Paul Westerberg

Ah, damn. I just saw hardcore to folk and made the Frank Turner connection.

Quote by CannedBullets
...... Marty Friedman........ etc etc.... Well, after a while, he moves to Japan to write J-Pop,

I now have more respect for Marty Friedman for some reason.

And I want to hear his j-pop.
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 16, 2011,
Quote by CannedBullets

Actually, it'd more of learning that Paul Simon subbed in Pantera on occasion.

I never got why people are surprised by artists liking different genres than they're in, or not focusing on the genre they first rose to prominence in - it's not like people only do one genre they like. Rodrigo y Gabriela's members met in a metal band, Alex Skolnick prefers jazz, Warren Haynes does everything from jam bands to metal to jazz to pop to blues, Paul Gilbert does everything from metally shred to groovy guitar-driven, vocal-harmony-laden pop rock, Tom Morello does acoustic, one-man folk, Neil Young went from one of the biggest figures in folk to the godfather of grunge, Rivers Cuomo, frontman for one of the biggest bands of the alt. rock movement, which basically shunned the 80's shred style, was a shredder in a prog. metal band prior to Weezer. Then there are progressive acts, who basically make a living of juggling three different genres on any given day.

We all listen to dozens of genres, and I'm sure we all enjoy what we listen to. I'm sure we get a kick from playing a lot of it too. Famous artists too.

On-topic, really the only ones I can think of would be Jeff Beck. I still love him and his music, but I always hear about him having a bad temper, which has always been something I hate.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
There was this manager at the gas station I normally go to that thought Glen Beck knows what he's talking about. I only looked up to him because he was taller than me, an I was forced to look up at him to talk.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by CrucialGutchman

What were you expecting? Free fried chicken or something?
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
What were you expecting? Free fried chicken or something?

I was actually expecting grape Kool Aid and watermelon.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
My dad... for 15 years, he was seriously the best man I knew aside from my grandfather... Then, just one day, he did a 180... He now lives a lie in front of me and everyone else... So does my mom, but I never really liked her that much, she had always been way too damn overbearing to really "look up to."
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
I don't know. Once I got interested in politics, I started to get progressively more disappointed in most of my family since they are all fairly reactionary. I don't take this as personal disappointment, though. There's been a couple of my family members that I have been personally disappointed in, though. I found out my father was legitimately racist towards Native Americans, and plenty of the males in my family are militantly sexist. That kind of stuff can disquiet me.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
There was this manager at the gas station I normally go to that thought Glen Beck knows what he's talking about. I only looked up to him because he was taller than me, an I was forced to look up at him to talk.
Thomas Erak being a general dick and breaking up my favorite band.

Also ****ing up his chance of an epic 4th album by getting rid of The Vomiting Winter, changing Nobody's Perfect and Single, and constantly bringing that ****ing girl named Ryann Donelly to do guest vocals
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by CrucialGutchman

That man is the reason Osama bin Laden is dead right now.

Politics is a lot more complex than you think, and Obama is doing a great job at the moment.

Better to be a compromiser than a bully exercising his power.

Your argument is invalid as you are a roody poo.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
My mom decided to tell my grandfather that I'm gay (I'm not by the way) and he siad that he hates gay people and that he wouldn't talk to me.

I also found out how racist my grandmother is.
Dallas Green.

One of my favourite songwriters/singers/guitarists, and I saw him recently at a gig, and I was really put out by the way he didn't really speak with the audience, and when he did, it was to tell people to stop filming/taking photo's, or to insult anyone who shouted anything positive towards him.

He probably had his reasons for being so grumpy, and he constantly said how much he disliked England, so I assumed that was it. Now, I realise it must have been a bad time for him, or something.
Zakk Wylde. He's one of my favorite guitarists and a really cool dude, but it seems like sometimes he can be a complete dick to other people. Like when he started flipping out on Dave Grohl and everything. Dave didn't even do anything to him personally to make him mad.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Marty has 6/12 music credits on Cryptic Writings and 8/12 music credits on Risk so he did write some stuff in Megadeth.

As for question, Sly Stallone. I look up to him but he jived about how he got into shape for his movies, working out twice a day and working each body part on alternate days. When infact he took steroids

It's not like he is going to tell everyone he took roids it's just the fact he gives people false hope.
Quote by CannedBullets
Well, Marty Friedman is one of my favorite guitarists, he was in Megadeth (one of my favorite bands) for 10 years even though he left back in 1999. I thought the reason he left was because Dave Mustaine wasn't giving him enough breathing room when it came to writing music. Well, after a while, he moves to Japan to write J-Pop, and he said that he wasn't as big as a fan of Thrash Metal as he used to be and that he liked rock and pop more. I mean come on that's something that a poser wearing a Megadeth shirt would say. Then I realized that Dave Mustaine restricted Friedman to writing solos just so Friedman wouldn't turn Megadeth into a pop-oriented direction like Metallica.

Also, Marty Friedman made a remake of Tornado of Souls, I didn't like the remake because it sounded more like rock, the solo was more refined then the original though.

Tornado of Souls - Megadeth

Tornado of Souls - Marty Friedman remake

Dave Mustaine probably got pissed when he heard the remake.

So has anyone else ever been alienated by people they look up to?

I know exactly what Marty Friedman means btw. I grew up listening to Chinese music (predominantly pop, rnb and rap) and then when I got my first guitar I started listening to more guitar orientated-music such as rock, blues etc. About 5 years ago, I ventured back into Chinese music when I grew fed up of the guitars etc...and you know what - I can't even wonder why I gave my interest up for my previous taste in music. I much preferChinese pop, rnb and rap.

Now, whenever I even try to go back to my previous taste or to look at recommendations of things I might have liked back 5 or 6 years ago, I can honestly say I hate it.

I now only listen exclusively to Chinese music.

By the way, Jay Chou is a very talented Chinese musician, lyricist, composer, artist, singer, rapper, director, producer and actor. He's Marty Friedman's favourite artist and he's also my favourite male artist as well. PM me to find out more information about him and recommendations.

You might not know his music but he recently made a breakthrough in Hollywood playing the part of Kato in The Green Hornet alongside Cameron Diaz. 90% of Westerns have no idea how big his status is in Asia.

Him explaining to Leah Dizon how cool Jay Chou is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txxr7nc6uIc

Him playing a Jay CHou song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3phl_1BeMo
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Jul 17, 2011,
Quote by shredibanez24
Zakk Wylde. He's one of my favorite guitarists and a really cool dude, but it seems like sometimes he can be a complete dick to other people. Like when he started flipping out on Dave Grohl and everything. Dave didn't even do anything to him personally to make him mad.

Yeah, but he was acting like a spoiled child and Dave took it as such. His response wasn't even a rise.
Quote by Harmonius
I know exactly what Marty Friedman means btw. I grew up listening to Chinese music (predominantly pop, rnb and rap) and then when I got my first guitar I started listening to more guitar orientated-music such as rock, blues etc. About 5 years ago, I ventured back into Chinese music when I grew fed up of the guitars etc...and you know what - I can't even wonder why I gave my interest up for my previous taste in music. I much preferChinese pop, rnb and rap.

Now, whenever I even try to go back to my previous taste or to look at recommendations of things I might have liked back 5 or 6 years ago, I can honestly say I hate it.

I now only listen exclusively to Chinese music.

By the way, Jay Chou is a very talented Chinese musician, lyricist, composer, artist, singer, rapper, director, producer and actor. He's Marty Friedman's favourite artist and he's also my favourite male artist as well. PM me to find out more information about him and recommendations.

You might not know his music but he recently made a breakthrough in Hollywood playing the part of Kato in The Green Hornet alongside Cameron Diaz. 90% of Westerns have no idea how big his status is in Asia.

Him explaining to Leah Dizon how cool Jay Chou is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txxr7nc6uIc

Him playing a Jay CHou song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3phl_1BeMo

You can listen to all that stuff and other music too..There is more than pop and rock in the world anyway.
Page 1 of 3