Page 1 of 2
with a Goldtop Gibson Les Paul as opposed to a similar Fender Strat? Is it the amp that produces this sound mainly? (his neo-classical sound is orgasmic)
Yngwie's sound is actually extremely basic. It's just good ol' tube distortion through a single coil. You could get close with a Les Paul, but not that twangy sound. No sir.
Quote by JTNorquay
Yngwie's sound is actually extremely basic. It's just good ol' tube distortion through a single coil. You could get close with a Les Paul, but not that twangy sound. No sir.

Hmmm, tube distortion, single coil and twangy are not familiar terms haha, what do you mean matey?
single coil is a single pickup. ( the ones you see on stratocasters). Your les paul has Humbucker pickups.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
Quote by ##_Guitar-newb
single coil is a single pickup. ( the ones you see on stratocasters). Your les paul has Humbucker pickups.

would that single pickup give a similar sound to the treble (bridge) pickup on a LP?
Quote by Privet Tovarish
Hmmm, tube distortion, single coil and twangy are not familiar terms haha, what do you mean matey?

Tube distortion, is a distortion circuitry with a tube/valve in that produces the distortion, commonly found in amplifiers and occasionally in pedals.

Single coil has as the name says one coil, think fender stratocaster, those are singlecoils

twangy is a bit more subjective, so i can only give my prospective about it, for me is it how much a clean tone jumps suddenly out and is a bit 'takky'.

Quote by Privet Tovarish
would that single pickup give a similar sound to the treble (bridge) pickup on a LP?

Just, no.
Quote by Privet Tovarish

Sadly you won't get close - Yngwie really has a classic strat sond, very clear and airy...humbuckers are just a little bit too "busy" tonally with a too much going on in the lower frequency range.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Sadly you won't get close - Yngwie really has a classic strat sond, very clear and airy...humbuckers are just a little bit too "busy" tonally with a too much going on in the lower frequency range.

Yeh I always thought Les Pauls have a distinctly different sound to strats, and it wouldnt be the amp alone that makes the difference. So I need to think about what guitar I want to buy ($3000 AU budget). Goldtop les paul looks amazing, but doesnt get the sound I want, whilst a fender looks terrible in my opinion, but gets the sound I want. But then again... a sound similar to slash would be ok as well.
Split the difference and get either some kind of superstrat with an HSS pickup configuration or get a dual humbucker guitar with a coil split or parallel switch. Les Pauls and Strats are pretty much polar opposites, you'd be better off staying away from both those companies and getting something that covers the middle ground - something like a PRS or an Ibanez S or SA perhaps.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by ozzyismetal
This should give you a starting point if you want to split the difference like steven said. It's also a reliable Aussie site that I often use.
http://www.proaudio.com.au/shoppingcart/search.php?search_query=hss&x=0&y=0

Also, what amp are you using?

I'm buying a new one soon (will post when its time for the closest to Yngwies sound), but a Marshall MG30FX for now, it sucks
Yngwie's sound is basically just a Strat into a cranked Plexi.
The amp is a fair part of his tone, but really you won't get it without single coils.
Quote by dark Mass
Nope not a chance.

Thanks and thanks everyone.

In that vid does he use anything besides tube distortion and a marshall type amp? It seems like a really unique sound.
You also need to remember that alot of Yngwies sound is basically because he "Is" Yngwie.

Im not saying the whole tones in the fingers, but Yngwie has a very very unique sounding vibrato which is as essential as any amp or guitar to actually capture his sound. You could play the same runs and scales, and only sound like a parody, you need to properly listen to the way he sustains notes and try to get that down.
Quote by Privet Tovarish

In that vid does he use anything besides tube distortion and a marshall type amp? It seems like a really unique sound.

Not really, he has a pretty straightforward tone - he doesn't even use an awful lot of distortion. There's a bit of reverb on there, but again that's par for the course these days.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Not really, he has a pretty straightforward tone - he doesn't even use an awful lot of distortion. There's a bit of reverb on there, but again that's par for the course these days.

So fenders just sound awesome then?
Quote by Supernaut2k
You also need to remember that alot of Yngwies sound is basically because he "Is" Yngwie.

Im not saying the whole tones in the fingers, but Yngwie has a very very unique sounding vibrato which is as essential as any amp or guitar to actually capture his sound. You could play the same runs and scales, and only sound like a parody, you need to properly listen to the way he sustains notes and try to get that down.

A parody is good enough for me but yes I completely agree
Quote by Privet Tovarish
So fenders just sound awesome then?

well YES. as mentioned yngwie's sound is a strat with a cranked plexi (or now with his marshall sig amp) he also uses a DOD overdrive and a little delay. a LP is mahogany with humbuckers a strat alder with single coils, kinda the opposite end of the sound spectrum guitar wise.

with a MG sorry but even yngwie couldn't sound like yngwie with that. get a better amp preferably tube and then you can work on it. with a lot of experimenting with the EQ you can proably get something you can live with tone wise for yngwie even with a LP. not having a whammy bar though will hamper you from reproducing some of the songs.
Quote by monwobobbo
well YES. as mentioned yngwie's sound is a strat with a cranked plexi (or now with his marshall sig amp) he also uses a DOD overdrive and a little delay. a LP is mahogany with humbuckers a strat alder with single coils, kinda the opposite end of the sound spectrum guitar wise.

with a MG sorry but even yngwie couldn't sound like yngwie with that. get a better amp preferably tube and then you can work on it. with a lot of experimenting with the EQ you can proably get something you can live with tone wise for yngwie even with a LP. not having a whammy bar though will hamper you from reproducing some of the songs.

soon as I get this LP I'm going to get a good amp
His pickups are key in his tone. If anyone's ever played his signature they will know hat they are very Berry low gain but retain characteristics of high gain. As in the guitar will sound clean but will have a lot of sustain and ring out pinch harmonics really well. I played it through a blackstar on almost Max gain and still sounded barely crunchy
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Don't like the Fender look but prefer its sound, while the Gibson look is preferable to you?

Possibility?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Privet Tovarish

he uses something called ****ing amazing vibrato
Strats and Les Pauls can never sound especially alike due to the different scale lengths. Guitars have subtle harmonics that pop out all over the place; the nature of these harmonics is determined by scale length. On a Les Paul these are soft warm overtones and on a Strat they're twangy and seem to chime. You can manipulate guitar tones in one direction or the other by using heavier strings on a shorter scales or downtuning longer ones, but the sounds will never be the same.
Quote by Privet Tovarish
soon as I get this LP I'm going to get a good amp

I hate to be that guy, but in your case it seems like a new amp is more important than a new guitar. MG are some of the worst sounding amps I've heard, it will destroy the point of having a nice guitar.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
What Ozzy said, really what tube amps are like make solid state amps (like the MG) just sound bad, or rather low quality, even if you don't just love the sound of the particular tube amp.
Quote by Nelsean
The world needs more buttmonkeys.

Quote by Eddie4President
The Buttmonkey for best username, most intelligent posts of 21st century.
Quote by StewieSwan
Good. The world needs more of you.
Ignore the amp people, because they don't seem to realize you already said you're going for a new amp soon.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Don't like the Fender look but prefer its sound, while the Gibson look is preferable to you?

Possibility?

That does look hot, what the name of that guitar? One pickup?
Quote by Shinozoku
Ignore the amp people, because they don't seem to realize you already said you're going for a new amp soon.

Yeh, but then again they have a point, the MG is garbage but yes amp a few weeks after guitar
Quote by Privet Tovarish
Yeh, but then again they have a point, the MG is garbage but yes amp a few weeks after guitar

since no one asked why are you getting a Les Paul. so far you've only really mentioned getting an yngwie sound which of course needs a strat. just wondering why not get a strat
Quote by monwobobbo
since no one asked why are you getting a Les Paul. so far you've only really mentioned getting an yngwie sound which of course needs a strat. just wondering why not get a strat

Fair enough mate. Basically the way I see it you have to enjoy the visual appeal of a guitar in order to keep motivated and playing it, and I think if I get a strat, its just not going to feel the same playing it.
Dude, they have other styles of guitar with single coils. You don't need a strat, but maybe look at a PRS or something? It's kind of like saying you want to sound like Megadeth on a strat with single coils.

But I've found for the neoclassical sound, High distortion and roll the tone knob back on the guitar. I'm sure there's more too it than that if you want a specific tone, but all that neoclassical stuff(which I love) to me just sounds like heavy distortion with the highs cut out, giving it a smoother sound. Especially important for sweeps.
Quote by W4RP1G
Dude, they have other styles of guitar with single coils. You don't need a strat, but maybe look at a PRS or something? It's kind of like saying you want to sound like Megadeth on a strat with single coils.

But I've found for the neoclassical sound, High distortion and roll the tone knob back on the guitar. I'm sure there's more too it than that if you want a specific tone, but all that neoclassical stuff(which I love) to me just sounds like heavy distortion with the highs cut out, giving it a smoother sound. Especially important for sweeps.

It's a hard decision matey. I want to sound like a combination. Malmsteen is my fave, but then again I want to be able to sound like Slash, Megadeth, Metallica etc. Just that metal like sound. Les Pauls are best looking, and cover a few of those sounds.
With a Budget of 3000$, you could go for a higher-end guitar.
Maybe look at a used PRS or a high-end Ibanez S/SA.
Those WILL deliver.
OR if you want to spend less:
Ibanez Darkstone.
2 Humbuckers with coil-split.
That should get you close.
Quote by IbanEZP
With a Budget of 3000$, you could go for a higher-end guitar.
Maybe look at a used PRS or a high-end Ibanez S/SA.
Those WILL deliver.
OR if you want to spend less:
Ibanez Darkstone.
2 Humbuckers with coil-split.
That should get you close.

Mm like the guitars Satriani plays? I dunno man they just dont look good.
i don't know what strats you're looking at cos, all the ones ive seen are amazing, visually(and in every other way :p)
Current Gear:
2010 American Fender Stratocaster Deluxe White
Oakridge Resonator
Maton Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic

Peavey Envoy 110(40 watt)
Quote by Dill69
i don't know what strats you're looking at cos, all the ones ive seen are amazing, visually(and in every other way :p)

Depends what you're comparing it to. Gibson Les Pauls? No even close :P
Try not to get too hung up on looks, or at least go out there and try a load of guitars with an open mind...looking at a guitar is one thing, playing it is another though. That's not to say looks don't matter, of course they do - I just think you've built up the Les Paul to be more than it actually is in your head. Also the Goldtop usually has P90s, not humbuckers - they're a fuller sounding single coil with a unique tone but they're not going to be suited the stuff you play, it'll also be routed for P90s which means humbuckers won't fit. I have to admit I didn't like strats much when I was younger but your tastes do change over time and you learn to appreciate things for what they are.

Ultimately it's your choice, but that's a significant amount of money and you don't want to be spending it on the wrong thing. If it's your money then I'd say don't buy such an expensive guitar yet, give yourself more time to develop your style so you'll have a better idea of what suits you best. If it's a gift or something then you might want to look at getting something else, certainly if the Goldtop you've been looking at has P90s then I'd flat out say don't get it as I don't think it's going to give you the sounds you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Try not to get too hung up on looks, or at least go out there and try a load of guitars with an open mind...looking at a guitar is one thing, playing it is another though. That's not to say looks don't matter, of course they do - I just think you've built up the Les Paul to be more than it actually is in your head. Also the Goldtop has P90s, not humbuckers - they're a fuller sounding single coil with a unique tone but they're not going to be suited the stuff you play, it'll also be routed for P90s which means humbuckers won't fit. I have to admit I didn't like strats much when I was younger but your tastes do change over time and you learn to appreciate things for what they are.

Ultimately it's your choice, but that's a significant amount of money and you don't want to be spending it on the wrong thing.

I couldnt agree more, although since they're P90's and give a fuller sounding single coil, couldnt you make that sound closer to Yngwie?
Page 1 of 2