Hello Everyone,

I am looking at getting a new amp since the one I currently have just isn't cutting it anymore for me. However I don't know a damn thing about amps just a little about guitars and even less about effects processors. So any help you could give in pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Right now I am play a ESP MH400NT with EMG 81 85 pickups through a Boss ME50 effects processor with a little 10 watt Kustom. Right now I am in pre med in college and live in a apartment complex mainly populated by Med and Law students. So by I don't need to split eardrums. The main bands that I enjoy playing are Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Ozzy, and in the future I would like to learn some Children of Bodom songs although that is a long way off. New or used really doesn't matter to me. The budget is around $300. And the major cities around me are Lansing, Grand Rapids, and Detroit. While I live in Lansing my parents live in the metro Detroit area so I am down there often enough. So far from doing a little research it seems like a Peavey Vypyr 30W should be the first on my list of things to plug into when I go shopping. Lastly I don't play live at all I just play for rec and to relax. Once again thanks for the help in advance.
Would modeling amps be okay?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
your Boss ME50 will do a much better job than the peavey vypyr for when it comes to effects, my suggestion would be to get a good cheap tube amp and get all the sounds you want from your multi-effects, the vypyr does not take pedals well so i would not get it with your current set up.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Hot-Rod-5W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-620577-i1479051.gc

with a cheap cab would be good for you set up, for a cab either get a 1 x12 or a 2x12 and you're sorted, it would even work for small gigs if you ever felt the desire to use it
Get a nice small tube amp. You should look at the blackstar ht-1 and ht-5. The ht-1 is $250 new and you could maybe find an ht-5 used for $300 if 1 watts isn't enough power.
Quote by kutless999
Get a nice small tube amp. You should look at the blackstar ht-1 and ht-5. The ht-1 is $250 new and you could maybe find an ht-5 used for $300 if 1 watts isn't enough power.

Any tube amp isn't generally dorm-friendly.

I'd go with the Peavey Vypyr... or a Pod HD + headphones
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty

Well, he already has the me50 which should suit him fine, but if he wants more, then he should get a pod hd or an rp unit.
Quote by ragingkitty

I was afraid of that. What I know about "normal amps" I know even less about tubes. The only thing I really know is and by all means correct me if I am wrong that with the higher the watts the louder it needs to be for the tubes in order to sound good. Really right now I am just looking for a direction to go in and the general vote seems to be go tube or go with something that won't make my neighbors want to use me as the subject of their next cadaver lab. I.E. headphones. Thanks again for all your help everyone and by all means if you know of anything else that might sound good please let me know.
1 watts should not be too loud for a dorm. Do you have a place nearby to try out any 1 watt amps?
Quote by kutless999
1 watts should not be too loud for a dorm. Do you have a place nearby to try out any 1 watt amps?

1 Watt or even 5 should be ok. Since the walls are decently thick in the apartment complex. And yes guitar center has a couple in stock for 250 which I am going to go check out when I go back to Detroit next week. Is there any other brand or model other than Blackstar that I should be looking at?
Quote by spartan7132
1 Watt or even 5 should be ok. Since the walls are decently thick in the apartment complex. And yes guitar center has a couple in stock for 250 which I am going to go check out when I go back to Detroit next week. Is there any other brand or model other than Blackstar that I should be looking at?

I'm not sure what else you should be looking at, but they have some mini Vox tube amps that look and sound nice.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 16, 2011,
I am slightly confused when you guys all say amp you are actually taking about something like the Blackstar HT5 combo or do are you talking about a head with cabinets?
I was talking about the ht-5 combo, sorry about that.
Quote by ragingkitty

NO guitar amp is dorm-friendly.

If you are living in a complex with Law and Med students, they're not going to know the difference between a Vypyr 15 and a Mesa Triple Rectifier. If they find out that you own any guitar amplifier at all, they will go bat-fucking-shit insane just about you owning it. It doesn't matter if you can run it at TV volumes, it's still a guitar amplifier, and you will get complaints even if you haven't even turned it on (has happened). Just look at where you are and use common sense. No guitar amp. Period. Regardless of wattage.

That ME-50 has a headphone jack on it, right? Just use that. Get an amp when you're out of school.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
NO guitar amp is dorm-friendly.

Not literally, what you probably mean is that people amazingly develop highly sensitive hearing the moment you bring a guitar amp into dorms.

TS, since you're not gigging, go with a Pod... or something like a computer sim like Guitar Rig, Amplitube or ReValver III. These'll allow you to plug it into headphones.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.