Hey guys

First post here. I'm wanting to retube my vk100 with custom tubes, what do you recommend?

I mostly play metal and I'm really chasing a sound similar to soilwork, as I'm in love with their tone.

I realise other factors contribute to their sound but basically, I'm after a powerful heavy sound, solid yet not overbearing bottom with strong mids, the peavey already has awesome treble.

Cheers
Oh should add, it's running through a blackstar artisan 2x12" cab with vintage 30s.
Tad =C= 6l6 power tubes. Tung Sol makes some nice 12ax7 tubes.
You could got to Eurotbes.com and they have complete re-tube kits for the VK100 with several optionsof tubes and they will be cheaper than buying individual tubes also. They carry JJ electronics tubes, and alot of people say they are great.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
cool cheers mate yeah i was reading about JJ and Tung Sol, just wondering which is the smarter way to go.

i dont wanna cheap out, but i dont wanna take out a second mortgage
Quote by gtarmanrob
cool cheers mate yeah i was reading about JJ and Tung Sol, just wondering which is the smarter way to go.

i dont wanna cheap out, but i dont wanna take out a second mortgage

Both JJ's and Tung-Sols are good. TAD make really good 6L6's according to my friend, as do =C= and JJ.

JJ pre's are dark, Tung-Sol pres are bright.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969296 this thread has all you need to know about the VK great stuff there. I have one myself and I have stuck with Ruby 6L6's in the power section and currently have a Tung Sol LPS in V1 a Mesa in V2 and a Sovtek in V3 and it sounds pretty good through my 5150 cab for Metal/hard rock.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Quote by amatas83
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969296 this thread has all you need to know about the VK great stuff there. I have one myself and I have stuck with Ruby 6L6's in the power section and currently have a Tung Sol LPS in V1 a Mesa in V2 and a Sovtek in V3 and it sounds pretty good through my 5150 cab for Metal/hard rock.

sweet, cheers mate

im looking into getting a Blackstar Series One 104 head now, was gonna go with the 6L6 model. but if the VK with 6L6 is still the way to go, might get the EL34 model.
Last edited by gtarmanrob at Jul 18, 2011,