I'm trying to buy a real amp to get away from my fender frontman lol. I've been looking at a Vox AC30 but lately I've been thinking the AC15 would be a lot less pricey and much more portable. How much of a difference is there soundwise? I dont plan to use it for band practice, mostly just recording and a some gigs where it would be mic'd. Also I know there are some features the 30 has that the 15 doesn't. (master volume and effects loop that I know of) so what do you guys think?

I play punk/pop punk with the band and on my own I like to do a bit of everything if you want to take that into account. I live in utah and the used gear here isn't as plentiful as I wish but every once in a while I see an AC30 for sale but I just dont have the cash when I see them. I was planning on spending 1000$ on the 30 to buy it new but if the 15 will work for me why spend another 400 bucks ya know?
GEAR:
Fender MIM Strat (all black everthing!)
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

Power Chords and Downstrums
The AC15 is a much cleaner, low gain amp than the 30. You'll need to boost it for punk/pop-punk I imagine. AFAIK they do have a master volume though.

The AC30 is loud. Ridiculously loud, but also has one of the nicest sounding overdrives you'll hear. Trade off is it's bloody loud. The AC30 will work much better for what you want. My favourite band Feeder play music that is almost punky, and they've used AC30's in the past.

However if you're running pedals to get the dirt the AC15 should work very well for you. If you run the amp clean (something it does amazingly well) then you can run the delay after all your dirt pedals and not need an effects loop.
i think the real diff is the AC15 is 15 watts and is a 1x12 combo and the AC30 is 30 watts 2x12 combo.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I always say a effects loop is worth the extra. I like both of the amps, I would personally go with the 30, for the same reasons everyone else is saying.
Quote by Robbgnarly
i think the real diff is the AC15 is 15 watts and is a 1x12 combo and the AC30 is 30 watts 2x12 combo.

Apparently, if you ask seasoned AC30 players, there is a significant difference. Supposedly due to the transformers used in the AC30... the 30 has a far speedier response than the 15.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I would be running pedals in front for sure so that ought to be alright. I didn't realize the 15 was a 1x12 either lol that would just give a, little less oomph tho right? And about the pedals that brings up another question I was gonna ask soon. the other guitarist in my band is not the brightest person around and is convinced his DS-1 is the greatest thing ever. I am currently using a zvex distortron for my distortion and it sounds loads better, BUT next to his DS-1 I sound like I'm playing clean. I also have a digitech death metal (lol) for higher gain but that sounds like crap. So what would I need to get more gain but without going super screechy cheap digital sounding?

Thanks for the input guys!
GEAR:
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

Quote by ragingkitty
Apparently, if you ask seasoned AC30 players, there is a significant difference. Supposedly due to the transformers used in the AC30... the 30 has a far speedier response than the 15.

I'm not quite seasoned enough to tell that difference lol honestly this will be my first tube amp and worst case scenario if I can't stand the AC15 I believe I can return it and keep saving for the 30. I just need to upgrade badly lol the shortcomings of the fender frontman are becoming more and more obvious to me every time I turn it on lol
GEAR:
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

Quote by ptregaskis
I'm not quite seasoned enough to tell that difference lol honestly this will be my first tube amp and worst case scenario if I can't stand the AC15 I believe I can return it and keep saving for the 30. I just need to upgrade badly lol the shortcomings of the fender frontman are becoming more and more obvious to me every time I turn it on lol

Well you asked for differences

More gain? You need a

Wamper Triple Wreck
OKKO Dominator
ToneCzar OpenHaus
Fulltone OCD
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 16, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
Well you asked for differences

More gain? You need a

Wamper Triple Wreck
OKKO Dominator
ToneCzar OpenHaus
Fulltone OCD

True I did lol. I wanna know all the differences then try to hear them for myself ya know? Whether I can tell or not it gives me specific things to listen for when comparing. Is the wampler bad ass? I've looked at them before but ya know, utah isn't exactly the music mecca of the world, we a have a guitar center and thats about it lol. I just am scared to pay that much for something without having a chance to try for a few weeks. The fulltone I could find at guitar center or used pretty ready. I dont think ive heard of the OKKO and I know I've never heard of that ToneCzar OpenHaus. What is it? And how is the OKKO compared to the ISP Decimator and MXR Smartgate? I know guitar center has those in stock most the time so I gotta ask.
GEAR:
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

AC15 is master volume And if you're really worried that the 1x12 won't be enough, you can hook it up to an external cab.

TS, have you tried running the Distortron in the hi-gain setting? I would think that would be enough gain for punk/pop-punk. Actually, a modded DS-1 probably wouldn't be too bad for you either.
Quote by ptregaskis
True I did lol. I wanna know all the differences then try to hear them for myself ya know? Whether I can tell or not it gives me specific things to listen for when comparing. Is the wampler bad ass? I've looked at them before but ya know, utah isn't exactly the music mecca of the world, we a have a guitar center and thats about it lol. I just am scared to pay that much for something without having a chance to try for a few weeks. The fulltone I could find at guitar center or used pretty ready. I dont think ive heard of the OKKO and I know I've never heard of that ToneCzar OpenHaus. What is it? And how is the OKKO compared to the ISP Decimator and MXR Smartgate? I know guitar center has those in stock most the time so I gotta ask.

Wampler... is really good... but quite recto-ish.
OKKO is a brand of pedal. Their Diablo and Dominator are wicked OD/Dist pedals.
Sorry... I think you should consider the ToneCzar Dove and not the OpenHaus... again, another set of wicked dirt pedals - google them.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Wampler... is really good... but quite recto-ish.
OKKO is a brand of pedal. Their Diablo and Dominator are wicked OD/Dist pedals.
Sorry... I think you should consider the ToneCzar Dove and not the OpenHaus... again, another set of wicked dirt pedals - google them.

Alright will do thanks again! Um now a REALLY noob question... When you say recto, are you talking like a mesa rectifier sound or does recto mean something totally different?
GEAR:
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

Quote by ACollier
AC15 is master volume And if you're really worried that the 1x12 won't be enough, you can hook it up to an external cab.

TS, have you tried running the Distortron in the hi-gain setting? I would think that would be enough gain for punk/pop-punk. Actually, a modded DS-1 probably wouldn't be too bad for you either.

alright good to know. What mod is gonna help a DS-1? Just making it true bypass or is there more that needs to be done? I've never modded any pedals and I really dont know much about what you can do to them.
GEAR:
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

Google is your friend here. I found a thread on FSB for you. If you don't feel like modding it yourself, you could pick up a Keeley DS-1, or have someone else do the mods for you.

True bypass would help a bunch. The Boss buffer is nasty.
Ok, I didn't read through the whole thread, but I am actually in the same exact position you are in. I own the AC15, and I play alt. rock and pop-punk, (Green Day, Blink-182, etc.) and the AC15 works great. But I don't really like the the sound of the distortion coming from the amp, so I use a DS-1 with the Keeley all seeing eye mod, and it sounds fantastic. I highly recommend it.

I can also say from experience that the AC15 is more then loud enough to play along with a drummer.
Quote by phayzze
Ok, I didn't read through the whole thread, but I am actually in the same exact position you are in. I own the AC15, and I play alt. rock and pop-punk, (Green Day, Blink-182, etc.) and the AC15 works great. But I don't really like the the sound of the distortion coming from the amp, so I use a DS-1 with the Keeley all seeing eye mod, and it sounds fantastic. I highly recommend it.

I can also say from experience that the AC15 is more then loud enough to play along with a drummer.

Alright I'm glad that was the biggest worry I had with the 15 vs the 30. The effects loop would be nice but I dont use the delay enough to justify an extra 400$ just to put that in the loop when it'll sound fine in front. now for the distortion pedal... I know a wampler is gonna probably be a huge price difference than a modded ds1. Is the wampler gonna blow the ds1 out of the water or is that like comparing apples and oranges?
GEAR:
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

If you're running the amp clean, you don't even need to worry about the effects loop anyways.

The Wampler's going to be a completely different beast. Personally, I'd take the Wampler over the DS-1, but I'd use it for metal, not punk.
Quote by ACollier
If you're running the amp clean, you don't even need to worry about the effects loop anyways.

The Wampler's going to be a completely different beast. Personally, I'd take the Wampler over the DS-1, but I'd use it for metal, not punk.

Oh alright sounds thanks for all the help guys i'll start listening to some samples and at least get a rough idea of each pedal lol. The ds1 wouldnt be too expensive would it? I know the regular boss pedal is only like 40$ I just have to get over the fear of ordering gear online without trying it first lol.

If you guys aren't sick of my questions yet I've got one more i'll ask instead of starting a new thread. I really like switching from the high gain to completely clean, but I would prefer to use a little bit of a chorus pedal (not real heavy, just enough to give a bit of glimmer and fullness to my cleans) is there a good way to do this by only hitting one switch instead of trying to turn the distortion off and chorus on at the same time?
GEAR:
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

Keeley's site has the modded DS-1 at something like $140. Probably cheaper to buy a used one and just mod it yourself.

And the best way to do that, would be to use a signal splitter and an A/B box run into a clean amp. Split the signal, send one to chorus and one to drive, then A/B to choose between the two. Alternatively, you could do the same, just with a drive amp and a clean amp.
Awesome thanks guys I appreciate it a ton
GEAR:
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2