Hi I'm Teddy from London and I turned 13 nearly a week ago and have been playing for at least a year. Recently I've been coming to good standard of guitar playing in the past couple of weeks, I've almost mastered legato technique and sweeping however I still have difficulties picking up speed on the top E string, I can do controlled and fast alternate picking on all the other strings although I'm left handed I play right handed and I think this may contribute to the problem.

I have a daily regime of practice to a metronome btw.
Quote by MetalHeadTed98
Hi I'm Teddy from London and I turned 13 nearly a week ago and have been playing for at least a year. Recently I've been coming to good standard of guitar playing in the past couple of weeks, I've almost mastered legato technique and sweeping however I still have difficulties picking up speed on the top E string, I can do controlled and fast alternate picking on all the other strings although I'm left handed I play right handed and I think this may contribute to the problem.

You've mastered all the neccessary tecniques in a year? gtfo
i'm thinking you yet have no idea how clean the technique has to be for it to be "mastered" , since you've only been playing for a year, it's just not possible unless you were Jesus Christ ofcourse
It's impossible to master legato and sweep picking after a year of playing. I have been playing for 5 years and I'm nowhere near mastering them.

Anyway, if you have problems with alternate picking speed, start slow and use a metronome. Also remember to angle the pick slightly.
well i didnt mean like ynwie malmsteen master i mean got the to near pro level i do practice at least 2 hours a day
Sorry if im sounding well bigheaded but i have got my techniques to a very high standard using a metronome at slow and fast tempos however i know im no where mastering anything i just could think of aany other word to describe my standar of those techniques sorry
Quote by MetalHeadTed98

The answer to your question is this...keep practising.
name the hardest song you can play CLEANYL WITHOUT ANY MISTAKE and i'll tell you how close to mastering (out of 10) you are, or how pro your skills are...
i practice 4 hours a day, ive been playing for 4 years, id call myself intermediate, not more.
i have a feeling u need to expand your horizon a little bit, just to see what is possible on the guitar

but yeah keep practicing, that is ofc always the answer
Quote by Ibarshall_X
name the hardest song you can play CLEANYL WITHOUT ANY MISTAKE and i'll tell you how close to mastering (out of 10) you are, or how pro your skills are...
i practice 4 hours a day, ive been playing for 4 years, id call myself intermediate, not more.
i have a feeling u need to expand your horizon a little bit, just to see what is possible on the guitar

but yeah keep practicing, that is ofc always the answer

The idea of rating someone on a scale of 1 - 10 is stupid and arbitrary.

there is no way anyone could come close to mastering sweeping and legato in a year. You might have the basics down for those techniques, but there is no way that you have mastered them.
This guy is bsing a bit. Then again, I know a guy who learnt all of Wolf And raven after a year of playing. I still can't play that cleanly ffs.
Quote by MetalHeadTed98
well i didnt mean like ynwie malmsteen master i mean got the to near pro level i do practice at least 2 hours a day

As if Malmsteen is the master of legato either. Check out guys like Allan Holdsworth and Brett Garsed to see how truly terrifying legato can be.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Right guys, stop trying to patronise the kid. He obviously hasn't "mastered" anything at 1 year, we don't need to point that out.
Back to the question at hand; just keep trying. If you can already do it on the other strings then you'll know it's possible. Try learning the melody before the verse to Muse's "Knights Of Cydonia". That might help you practice.
kk thanx 4 ur help and as i sed b4 i havent mastered them ive got them techniques to a good standard so plz get off my back
sounds like your anchoring no matter how slightly when on 1-5th string
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
As if Malmsteen is the master of legato either. Check out guys like Allan Holdsworth and Brett Garsed to see how truly terrifying legato can be.

I think you forgot Joe Satriani, who's obviously the best at guitar in general (That was an opinion).

As for the TS, just keep practicing it, it will get there eventually, nothing happens in a year.
Where's Waldo?
Last edited by chadreed32 at Jul 16, 2011,
Quote by chadreed32
I think you forgot Joe Satriani, who's obviously the best at guitar in general (That was an opinion).

As for the TS, just keep practicing it, it will get there eventually, nothing happens in a year.

No, it was very much a choice not to include Satch. He's good, no doubt, but his legato, and indeed pretty much everyone's, pales in comparison to those to, especially Holdsworth.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
WTF

How is that even possible? Recommend me a song for this Holdsworth person, then. I thought Satch had crazy legato.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No, it was very much a choice not to include Satch. He's good, no doubt, but his legato, and indeed pretty much everyone's, pales in comparison to those to, especially Holdsworth.
Quote by Kryptic_
WTF

How is that even possible? Recommend me a song for this Holdsworth person, then. I thought Satch had crazy legato.

Once you see holdsworth play legato you will think guys like satch, dave murray, buckethead etc suck at it. He is really that good
Gentleman, the topic at hand was not how good Satriani is at legato, it was about the alternate picking of E
Can you post a video you your playing? It's hard to tell what exactly your problem is without. Can you do one of your regular playing, and then of you trying to play on the high E?
Quote by Kryptic_
WTF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMi2mCe7CKg

That is just a tiny sample of what he's capable of. Really any fan of technical guitar work should spend a lot of time listening to Holdsworth, almost everything he does is scary in some way.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jul 30, 2011,
Quote by Myshadow46_2
The answer to your question is this...keep practising.

^This