Hey

FIRSTLY sorry for the wall of text but I would really appreciate your help/advice

Ill start by saying i know theyre very different but there are a few factors that have brought me down to these two guitars in my what to buy head to head.

Ive wanted a semi hollow for a few months now n decided to get the viking and have been obsessing over it till this month when i was planning to get one. Now i dont know if i made myself sick of looking at it or what (i still want one though) but i stumbled on the studio faded in worn brown and though it was really cool and i really liked the look of it.

now i currently have a les paul as you can see in my sig, so the hagstrom would ad a different type of guitar to my arsenal. However my les paul isn't a traditional les paul cos of the 3 pups so I can also see the studio being fitting in my set up and i can also see it being a real workhorse for me like my telecaster where as my black beauty i handle a bit more gently shall we say.

Now unfortunately for me both these guitar are stupidly hard to find in the uk by me right now, nowhere has any on order so i cant try them out, but just now a studio faded has come up on ebay literally just round the corner from me, RESULT!

but before i go and try it and leave the hagstrom for a later date, i was jsut wondering if any of your experiences with either of these guitars can help me decide what to do.

Thanks for any help its much appreciated
Joe
My Stuff: Epi Black Beauty Les Paul with Bareknuckle Pickups, Fender Telecaster MIJ, Cort Electro acoustic, E-ross 12 string acoustic, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Cry Baby, BOSS DS-1 , Fulltone OCD, Digitech Whammy, Boss TU-3
HAGSTROM!

They're actually VERY nice guitars. I've played a lot of them and always felt like they were something special. Granted some of their models in the mid 90's had some quality issues, but they've dealt with that. To me a Gibson is a Gibson. Reliable but nothing special. Everyone plays a Gibson. Plus, how cool is a "Viking"?
Gibson. No question about it.
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
After recently playing a Gibson, I'd recommend you a Hagstrom But either way, play the guitar first.
I don't have a signature
Well... you get the Gibson, you get the Gibson name and possibly a very nice guitar

Hagstrom you get a nice guitar, thats not a 'studio' < not knocking it, but 'studio' basically means 'cheaper', regardless of what that is because of. Unless you can step up your budget, Id say hagstrom.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
I recommend the faded studio. It was my first Gibson, and I love good ol' Lola to this day. Lightweight, Affordable, and a crunch that makes babies weep. Only problem is the tuners, Gibson brand tuners suck.
Guitars

1992 Fender Standard Stratocaster
2009 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Ovation Celebrity 6-String Acoustic
Fender BG29 Acoustic 4-string Bass
thanks the replies so far, if i dont get the hagstrom i still probably will get one at a later date but my only problem with the hagstrom is there is literally no where to try it, like im gonna try this gibson before i think of parting with cash and if its not up to scratch then obviously i wont get it. hmm thanks for the comments though some food for thought there
My Stuff: Epi Black Beauty Les Paul with Bareknuckle Pickups, Fender Telecaster MIJ, Cort Electro acoustic, E-ross 12 string acoustic, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Cry Baby, BOSS DS-1 , Fulltone OCD, Digitech Whammy, Boss TU-3
i think in the long run you'd be better off with a gibson, unless you can find an old swedish-made hagstrom. the new hagstroms are just average out-sourced, mass produced generic guitars really, in terms of build quality, though they do have a distinctively quirky appearance... but the hagstroms made in sweden were absolutely brilliant guitars, and will likely be better than any gibson you're likely to come across that doesn't cost as much as a house.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 16, 2011,