Couldn't find a more recent thread, and I need more 'Mats chatter >_> and I've been on a listening binge these last few days

Let It Be is their best for sure, but the other albums are so good. Sorry Ma is amazing, just pure energy, and hilarious. Hootenany is almost up there with Sorry Ma. Tim goes without saying. Pleased to Meet Me ... pretty good. I was actually surprised by how good All Shook Down was, its essentially a solo Westerberg album, but the songwriting is tight. It errs on the side of blandless sometimes though

So yeah. Any fans?
Holy shit I love this band. Probably my second favorite at the moment. Let It Be is one of my all-time favorites for sure. Sorry Ma and Tim are the next best. "Shiftless When Idle" is a hell of a song. I really love this band, thanks for starting the thread.
Quote by due 07
Holy shit I love this band. Probably my second favorite at the moment. Let It Be is one of my all-time favorites for sure. Sorry Ma and Tim are the next best. "Shiftless When Idle" is a hell of a song. I really love this band, thanks for starting the thread.

Always good to see 'Mats fans. And I dig the user title >.>

Thanks for the last.fm add too

The Stink EP is also pretty good, its their attempt at hardcore punk but never really gets there. But some of the songs are fantastic
So you noticed.

I'll download that EP now, I've never listened to it before.

Speaking of Last.fm, their default picture is so cool.

That could be my favourite band picture ever

Or just best picture ever in all of photography

I really wanna see this 'Color Me Obsessed' movie, but I doubt its ever gonna get shown over here
Last edited by lp345 at Jul 17, 2011,
I haven't seen it either. I'm going to wait for a good file of it to grace the internet (unless one already has?).

Because they always get lumped together, I have something that needs to be said: The Replacements are about a thousand times better than Hüsker Dü. And I love Hüsker Dü.
I think its still being shown in theaters at this point. I wouldn't mind getting it on DVD if they ever release it

As for Husker Du ... I'd say I love em both equally. I was a Husker purist for years, and I have Zen Arcade on vinyl Its amazing to think that two bands from the same city at the same time could be so ****ing good

That said, 'Somethin to Du' is a kickass song, and hilarious
The nearest showing according to some website is two hundred miles away from me.

I just finished Stink. That was funny. It was like Sorry Ma, but more punx.
I always wondered if Johnny Rivers felt like suing Paul Westerberg if he heard 'Waitress In The Sky'.
There isn't a bad tune on Let It Be

Even the outtakes are awesome. 'Perfectly Lethal' is badass
Quote by lp345
There isn't a bad tune on Let It Be

Even the outtakes are awesome. 'Perfectly Lethal' is badass
I don't know, "Black Diamond" is kind of lame. It's not that bad, but it's one of my least favorite Replacements songs on the first four or so albums. It's a Kiss cover, right? That would explain it. "Answering Machine" is my favorite 'Mats song, though. Let It Be is kind of weird. If I look at the songs individually, there's a couple I don't think I care for too much -- "Black Diamond" and "Gary's Got A Boner" come to mind -- but as a whole, the album is pertinaciously perfect.

This thread has thrust me into full-fledged Paul Westerberg fanboy mode.
Eh, I dig Black Diamond. Its alot of fun

But yeah, its the mix of the silly and serious on Let It Be that makes it so perfect.

Favourite song ... that's difficult My most listened too is Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out Its too hard to choose ._.
I do love Answering Machine. The outro with the phone message and Paul wailing away is epic

One thing that annoys me about the Deluxe Edition CD is they cut off the count-in to it, and they also cut the brief intro to I Will Dare were you can hear what sounds like someone taking a drink. Its a minor complaint, but why can't they just remaster the album and leave the songs as they are?>_>
Man, only just started listen to these guys at the end of last year - so happy when I did. Thing is, I got their greatest hits which is so good and complete that I haven't felt like I needed to go and listen to the individual albums yet. Soon though, soon

I think my favourite song would have to be Can't Hardly Wait, but in it's noisy demo form But then there's Alex Chilton, Left Of The Dial, Unsatisfied, Androgynous ...

On another note, still haven't got into the Dü yet, really should
A greatest hits wouldn't do the 'Mats justice, you need to start listening to the albums ASAP.

And listen to Husker Du too
Last edited by lp345 at Jul 21, 2011,
Kiss Me On The Bus is one of my favourites on Tim. I prefer the album version to the demo. It sounds so ... nostalgic

BTW Where is that?
It's on the wall of First Avenue in Minneapolis. First Ave is a club that they played a bunch, and any big bands, or notable local bands that play there get a star with their name on it painted on the outside walls of the club. Parts of Purple Rain were filmed there, and Prince has his own private box on the second level right next to the mixing board so he can come and see any show he wants. It's basically Minnesota's musical Meccah.

Last edited by wizards? at Jul 21, 2011,
i was there and wanted to take a picture by it but there were too many people around it. that's all i came to say. the 'mats are great.
Oh yeah I think there's a 'Mats pic at Toad's Place or at least their name is on the wall. Except on the inside, not the outside. Along with lots of other really cool bands and lots of other less-than-cool bands.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
Ha this shitty band is reuniting for an EP. Like why aren't they dead.

Because they can? Paul Westerberg still can write some damn good songs, he's proved his longevity.
I been a Replacement fan since the late 80s and then followed Westerberg's solo career.

So I just found this guy on YouTube that is uploading a treasure trove of outtakes, b sides, live concerts, documentary, and stuff I've never seen or heard before. It is truly amazing to check out. Here's his YouTube if you want to check his channel out:

http://www.youtube.com/bobstinsonsghost
Quote by wizards?
It's on the wall of First Avenue in Minneapolis. First Ave is a club that they played a bunch, and any big bands, or notable local bands that play there get a star with their name on it painted on the outside walls of the club. Parts of Purple Rain were filmed there, and Prince has his own private box on the second level right next to the mixing board so he can come and see any show he wants. It's basically Minnesota's musical Meccah.

I was there in the early 90s and was in awe that I was at a place where both The Replacements and Prince played. Then I wandered down to a local record store and found "The Replacements Stink" EP on CD. The original issue not the expanded Rhino release. Still go that one. Got a Replacements vinyl LP too.
Only album I have by The Replacements is Pleased to Meet Me. I should perhaps pick up some more.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."