I'll be in the market for a new guitar in the next few months, and was hoping to get a guitar that can play like a strat, but sound more like a Gibson, while also not being a super strat. I typically love singlecuts, but I'd like to have a humbucker guitar that has the fret access that typically comes from a doublecut.

I've looked at PRS since I saw one at a show recently that had some of the best tone I've heard, and the Mira looks good, but it's a bit more expensive than I'd like to go. If there aren't any comparable guitars for a bit less than that price range though, I wouldn't have a problem saving up for it. I'm also not a huge fan of SGs, but I'll probably try out a few of them as well. I also would prefer something that comes in a solid finish as opposed to a fancy figured top, but that's really just nitpicking at this point. I'll be playing through a Vox VT50, if that affects anything.

Basic Specs that I want are:
Solid Body
Strat-like neck
Double cutaways, but not a super strat
Passive Humbuckers in bridge and neck
Either Fender style trem or hardtail
Under $1500
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
Last edited by deadgearsrising at Jul 16, 2011,
Double cut Les Paul?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
What about the Fender Blacktop Strat?
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
I'm not 100% clear on what you mean by "not a superstrat", but if you mean one that has a more strat-like body, take a look at the Charvels. They're considered the inventor of the superstrat, but their superstrats have standard strat-shaped bodies.
Quote by xadioriderx
you should just mount a really big chunk of wood

Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Have a look at schecter, they do the corsair, s-1, and devil which are all a more symetrical double cutaway design
yamaha SG?
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Adam278
Have a look at schecter, they do the corsair, s-1, and devil which are all a more symetrical double cutaway design

Used S-1 Blackjacks are great guitars and they sell cheap!
Yamaha SG
Gibson Double-cut LP
Gibson SG
ESP Viper
ESP Potbelly
Carvin DC
BC Rich Eagle
Ibanez SZ

Need I go on?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Need I go on?

TS probably still won't find what he likes on your list...
Just to clarify on a few things, by "not a superstrat," I meant not the strat shape. I see those kinds of guitars pretty much everywhere and I've lost interest in the shape, plus I already have a regular strat and I'd like to vary my collection.

Also, I forgot to mention that the genres I'm mainly going to be using this for are most genres between Blues and Hard Rock, not going into metal territory and I don't really want a "metal" looking guitar, for example most Schecter guitars wouldn't fit in for what I'm looking for.

I'll definitely be checking out a double-cut LP if there are any that are more affordable than the Gibsons, and the Carvin though.
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat

Last.FM
Yamaha SG700 or 1000 will be affordable
Quote by deadgearsrising
I've looked at PRS since I saw one at a show recently that had some of the best tone I've heard, and the Mira looks good, but it's a bit more expensive than I'd like to go.

Under $1500

A whole 60 dollars over budget, doesnt seem like too much to me.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-Mira-Double-Cut-Electric-Guitar-with-Moon-Inlays-And-Wide-Thin-Neck-518894-i1396037.gc
Where's Waldo?
My dream guitar has always been a Gibson Barney Kessel, double cutaway jazzbox. But they are quite expensive. There are many MIJ lawsuit type copies available that might work. Happy hunting.
Attachments:
kessel guitar.bmp
Quote by Dempsey68
TS probably still won't find what he likes on your list...

I admit I failed to read the rest of the message, but the Carvin fits everything.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by chadreed32

The thing is that my budget is just a ballpark, I'm not sure how much I'll have when I buy whatever it is I decide on. Right now the Mira is probably my first choice, but I thought I'd get some other opinions for guitars to look into. That way if I find something I like better, or the Mira isn't quite right for me, I have some other choices instead of starting over from scratch.

I'm also considering the Reverend HB-FM (http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars/set_neck_series/sensei_hb_fm.html). Does anyone have experience with this model? It'd be a bit harder to get/try since there aren't any Reverend dealers in my state, but it's got some good tones and the Tobacco Burst looks pretty good.
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat

Last.FM
Last edited by deadgearsrising at Jul 16, 2011,
Quote by deadgearsrising
The thing is that my budget is just a ballpark, I'm not sure how much I'll have when I buy whatever it is I decide on. Right now the Mira is probably my first choice, but I thought I'd get some other opinions for guitars to look into. That way if I find something I like better, or the Mira isn't quite right for me, I have some other choices instead of starting over from scratch.

I'm also considering the Reverend HB-FM (http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars/set_neck_series/sensei_hb_fm.html). Does anyone have experience with this model? It'd be a bit harder to get/try since there aren't any Reverend dealers in my state, but it's got some good tones and the Tobacco Burst looks pretty good.

While I haven't played the Sensei, I've played a few Reverends(a Volcano, a Warhawk and what I THINK was a Flatroc), and they're rather well-built guitars. Could do for a pickup swap though, at least in the Volcano's case(sounded rather muddy, sorta like an Epi).
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
How about a telecaster with some humbuckers?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-se-custom-24-electric-guitar/h70029000002000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=757742111

Finds a more expensive (read: higher quality) PRS like this one.

Unless you consider it a super strat, but it really is a double cut Paul shape.
Quote by Nelsean
The world needs more buttmonkeys.

Quote by Eddie4President
The Buttmonkey for best username, most intelligent posts of 21st century.
Quote by StewieSwan
Good. The world needs more of you.
PRS Santana SE is an awesome guitar, and so is the PRS SE Custom 24
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Three guitars spring to mind. The PRS SE Custom and Dean Hardtail for the quasi budget minded, and the Gibson Longhorn for the not so budget minded.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage