I'm wanting to build a body like the one style pictured below, with a floyd rose and only two humbuckers. The problem is I don't have many tools so can someone give me some tips on how to build the body with only small simple tools i.e. drills , saws, sandpaper. Even if it's cutting a bunch of peices up and gluing them together I'll be fine with that, my main problem is I don't know how I'd make all of the routing for knobs, pickups, switches etc with the tools I have, please help me! Thanks
Attachments:
chrislarkin_ASAD_Rio.jpg
Im currently building my first as well. I am young without any tools either and was hoping to scrape by. First thing is you are going to need a router, there is no way around it. A friend of my grandfather had one and is letting me borrow it, look around. Second, you are going to mess up your first one, so start with a cheap piece of wood (ask me how i know). I cut out my rough shape with a jig saw and used a rasp/sanding block to get it where I wanted it. It was cheaper than buying a table sander and band saw, but expect to put in a lot of man hours and elbow grease. Also, don't expect your first guitar to be absolutely perfect, especially with hand tools. The last thing I want to stress is to use routing templates. I have no experience with a router and they can really take off on you if not guided. You can try and do it by hand, just make sure you are ready to start over (again ask me how I know). There is a lot of good information on this site and I urge you to read up before diving in.

Measure twice, Cut once.
SynKid

Edit: Project Guitar Forums also has a ton of good information from experienced and professional builders.
Last edited by Synkid at Jul 16, 2011,
chisels and carving tools.... lots of them....
but still, use a router if you want a clean nice cut
with thanks.. MR. Dubin
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
alright, don't know if I can find a router, can you maybe tell me how to chisel it?

Since your knowledge is very limited, I suggest you really look for some video's that will explain in detail what you need and steps to acomplish it. And like said you will pretty much have to have a router.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Since your knowledge is very limited, I suggest you really look for some video's that will explain in detail what you need and steps to acomplish it. And like said you will pretty much have to have a router.

Can you show me a picture of a router, and maybe help me find a way around that, or maybe a way to make something similar to a router that'll do the trick?
These two links may be the most important you see for saving you a lot of time, work, and headaches (granted 1 is home depot, but its a basic plunge router).

Router

Templates

You will spend more money re-doing things than if you would have bought these in the first place. It will also give a much better result
Quote by xadioriderx
this is your third if not fourth "1st build" thread... if you have questions about your first build, just use one thread

Don't know why you bothered even posting that because
A: it's my second, learn to count
B: That's not helping me at all
C: No one responded to the other one.
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Can you show me a picture of a router, and maybe help me find a way around that, or maybe a way to make something similar to a router that'll do the trick?

You can use a Dremmel tool, they can be found at hobie shops and small Hardware stores
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Don't know why you bothered even posting that because
A: it's my second, learn to count
B: That's not helping me at all
C: No one responded to the other one.

third thread, if we count your hollowbody question one
but thats beside the point.

if you dont have a router, use a drill bit to drill out as much material as possible, and then take some chisels and get rid of the excess around the edges. obviously not as efficient as a router, but if you dont have one, good enough.
to cut out body, just use a handsaw. as above, drill and chisel out all your cavities. use sandpaper (of different grades) to smooth it up. use rasps/files to do the curves that you cant do with just sandpaper/handsaw. if you dont have the confidence to paint it, use an oil (such as danish or tung) or varnish it (this might not be easier, but its an option)

its going to take you longer, its going to be harder, its probably not going to look as good. but if you take your time (i really mean that.) and measure everything twice, there is absolutely no reason you cant do it, and if you really take your time you really can have a good guitar.

here is a website that shows how to use a few tools in different ways to get a desired result.

there are also several threads from way back in the gb&c that have different tips. i doubt you'll go trolling through the old regulars threads though