So I've recently discovered a line of guitars that ESP makes in Japan called "Edwards". They seem to run for fairly higher prices than the LTD series, but not quite as high as an ESP standard. They also have some really interesting shapes to them too. Anyone own or have experience with one of these? And are they only available in Japan?
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Apparently what they are is the bodies and necks get their basic shaping and routing done in a factory in China. These then go through Japanese quality control and are assembled and painted in Japan and they use MIJ/MIA-level parts. So they really technical work is done in Japan but the basic stuff gets done in China to speed things up and keep the cost down. You're not getting a full MIJ ESP instrument but you're getting more than a MIC/MIK LTD instrument. Also unlike either LTD or ESP some of the Edwards guitars are made with nitro finishes. This is why a lot of the Edwards guitars are more direct copies of traditional style guitars compared to the modern/metal style of most ESPs.
Quote by grohl1987
Apparently what they are is the bodies and necks get their basic shaping and routing done in a factory in China. These then go through Japanese quality control and are assembled and painted in Japan and they use MIJ/MIA-level parts. So they really technical work is done in Japan but the basic stuff gets done in China to speed things up and keep the cost down. You're not getting a full MIJ ESP instrument but you're getting more than a MIC/MIK LTD instrument. Also unlike either LTD or ESP some of the Edwards guitars are made with nitro finishes. This is why a lot of the Edwards guitars are more direct copies of traditional style guitars compared to the modern/metal style of most ESPs.

+1

they're not 100% MIJ. they're still nice guitars. but with the super-strong yen at the moment, they're nowhere near as good value as they were.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

they're not 100% MIJ. they're still nice guitars. but with the super-strong yen at the moment, they're nowhere near as good value as they were.
There are still older models before they went to this hybrid manufacturing and they do show up on eBay and Yahoo Japan for really nice prices.

Quote by Smaratelj
They're better than LTD, very close to actual ESP guitars. Worth getting.

+1. They're very much worth their price.

The thing that appeals to me most about Edwards is that they actually still do lawsuit shapes. So um... some more pronz...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Ippon
There are still older models before they went to this hybrid manufacturing and they do show up on eBay and Yahoo Japan for really nice prices.

oh yeah, sure, i was just talking about the current ones
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wow, those are actually pretty nice. Does any body now how well they play, how well they're made and how close they are to the guitars they are based from?
As far as I know, they play great. They're made pretty well, you could really see them as an actual ESP product. They SHOULD represent the model they are based on pretty well.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Quote by robhc
Wow, those are actually pretty nice. Does any body now how well they play, how well they're made and how close they are to the guitars they are based from?

sure, they're pretty nice guitars.

though at current prices (the yen's really strong) i'd probably take an MIJ tokai over one. richtone has the mij tokais starting at about £650 new, whereas most of the edwardses are a bit more than that. if you don't care about name-brand pickups and a nitro top coat, the tokais are probably the better option. plus they're (as far as i'm aware) 100% MIJ.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Siverstorm has an Edwards, but he doesn't really come on here much anymore. Anyway, he says that the quality is very close to ESP Standard, all around the board.

Quote by Seanthesheep
are the neck shapes on the vintage replica type models (for example the LPC knockoff) to esp spec or to original instrument spec?

like the LPC knock off as seen here:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Edwards-ESP-LP-CTM-WHT-E-LP-92-CD-W-S-DUNCAN-PU-S-/150604458221?pt=Guitar&hash=item2310b9a8ed

does it have an esp neck shape or a 50s style neck?

Frustratingly, they don't say on the ESP JP site for that model. I think it would be safe to assume it's not the ESP Thin U neck (which is found on most of their LP shaped guitars), just because it doesn't say so. Also, that model is a true lawsuit model, as it is an E-LP, rather than an E-MA (ESP's version, MA is more or less equivalent shapewise to the Eclipses we get outside of Japan).

You could try asking the seller, but they probably won't be too helpful.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ I have an edwards

It's a good while since I've tried an esp, but i'd say my edwards isn't as nice as an esp. it's on a par, maybe slightly nicer, than an LTD 1000 (in terms of specs, anyway, you have a single piece back and neck versus 3 piece on the 1000).

and i'm not too well up on neck profiles but i've heard lots of people say the lps' necks are in-between 50s and 60s profiles.

EDIT: if you ask me the biggest problem about edwards currently is the strength of the yen. they were good value when the yen was weaker, they're not such good value now.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ouch I looked up the current prices of the Edwards ES-335 copies today. £1100 now, plus postage and a case will drag you above £1200 maybe close to £1300. You can get a Gibson custom shop Dot or ES-339 for £1500 and that's including the case and most shops do free postage on those too. I never thought a copy brand would make the original look reasonable but there it is. Someone call me when Edwards are back to <£650
The one advantage, FWIW, is that the neck profile may be a bit more appealing to those who prefer something less beefier than the Gibsons.

Bargains on used Edwards are still widely available if you're in the US. Other MIJ options are Tokai, Burny, Navigator, Epi (local Japan market version), Greco, etc.
Quote by grohl1987
Ouch I looked up the current prices of the Edwards ES-335 copies today. £1100 now, plus postage and a case will drag you above £1200 maybe close to £1300. You can get a Gibson custom shop Dot or ES-339 for £1500 and that's including the case and most shops do free postage on those too. I never thought a copy brand would make the original look reasonable but there it is. Someone call me when Edwards are back to <£650

agreed.

though richtone (last time i looked) has some sorta reasonable prices around the £600 mark for some models (not the es335, though).

But i mean even at £600, a properly-MIJ Tokai is a similar price...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?