Is a rubber stringed guitar feasible ?
A six strings guitar with silicone strings ,just like the ashbury bass .
If it can be done on a bass why couldn't it be done on a guitar? Just more and shorter strings.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
No, unless you have piezoelectric pickups. Silicone rubber is not magnetic so conventional pickups wouldn't do.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
No, unless you have piezoelectric pickups.

..and there ain't guitar piezoeletric pickups available ..
Just guessing.
Of course there are!

Schaller have a piezo bridge, the graphtech ghost stuff isn't bad, eBay have a few good made in china options some times, that's just off the top of my head
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by gabdab
..and there ain't guitar piezoeletric pickups available ..
Just guessing.

No, there are. Really common on acoustics.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
cool.
I wonder if those silicone strings could be home made , or bass strings could be adapted some how ?
Maybe using a midi ..
Last edited by gabdab at Jul 17, 2011,
It would sound like shit if you went solely for a piezo pickup on a guitar. I mean there's a reason piezo gutiars arent marketed, sure it's different, but you cant beat some good pickups
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by SKArface McDank
It would sound like shit if you went solely for a piezo pickup on a guitar. I mean there's a reason piezo gutiars arent marketed, sure it's different, but you cant beat some good pickups

you ever used a piezo guitar? its not the same sound as traditional pickups, but it can sound great. for some styles and sounds, it can sound better than a normal magnetic pickup.

as for using rubber strings, im not sure how feasible that would be. im thinking that the high tension required on the thinner strings might not work well on rubber. nylon such as on a classical style guitar would be a better bet.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Sounds like a dumb idea from the tree huggers to save the planet from wasted metal strings, or something...

It wouldn't work as well as you want it to. Instead of rubber, just use nylon strings, same thing(kinda...not really)

What the hell are you talking about?

The idea makes sense. It would definitely be a different sound. As you can tell from the Ashbury bass it would be a real smooth, fat sound.
It is also worth noting that the strings on that bass are enormous. Thicker than usual bass strings. Might wind up crowding the fretboard a bit.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Sounds like a dumb idea from the tree huggers to save the planet from wasted metal strings, or something...

It wouldn't work as well as you want it to. Instead of rubber, just use nylon strings, same thing(kinda...not really)
Wow Ethan, just... wow.

No, it'd work fine. Nylon or similar strings are ubiquitous on classical guitars.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
yeah the first time I saw one of ethan's posts I knew he was either a.) 12 years old or b.) some religious kid that cant think past his skull.
guess which one was right
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Jul 17, 2011,
..nylon strings would do.
They maybe lack the 'metal' sound ,but as long as midi is available for piezo pickups you can surely deal with it .
I kind of missed polyurethane strings for guitar though , while I see they are an alternative to silicone on basses , due to the G string frequently snapping .
Polyurethane is stronger compared to nylon ..
http://musicaus.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/ashbory-bass-with-pahoehoe-strings-new-low-tension-polyurethane-strings-review-and-how-to/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNPx6RS8PiM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel#Toxicity
Last edited by gabdab at Jul 18, 2011,