Lads,

I will be doing my first pickup change soon simply because I refuse to pay extra for installation

Anyway, I do not have any experience with soldering, but I have a friend that can solder, but he is not familiar with guitar wiring. Any of you can provide help or tips for first time pickup changes?

In addition, the guitar I will be doing the pickup changes on is my Ibanez RG. I have seen vids where guitars such as strats need their backplates open. However, I have a trem system on the guitar (Edge III). Does this mean all the wiring is under the pickguard, and this is what I will have to remove to install new pickups?

Thanks
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
The bridge doesn't affect whether the wiring is under the pickguard or not... if your guitar is rear-routed, the wiring is accessed from the back (and obviously a bit more of a PITA to change things with).

What model of RG do you have? It will help me find a wiring diagram that is suited to your guitar.
Quote by Pac_man0123
The bridge doesn't affect whether the wiring is under the pickguard or not... if your guitar is rear-routed, the wiring is accessed from the back (and obviously a bit more of a PITA to change things with).

What model of RG do you have? It will help me find a wiring diagram that is suited to your guitar.

Thanks for your help. The specific model is an Ibanez RG350EX.

Thanks
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
Try This

Pick Guitar, Enter year 2006, then pick RG350DX (same pup configuration as yours).

What pickup are you going to install; some pickups use different colors for the wires and where they are supposed to go, so don't get discouraged if if doesn't work perfectly the first time (though it just might ) just a tip; make sure you only desolder what you have to, if you don't know about wiring it can be a you-know-what to get it right again!
Gear:
Gibson '61 SG (57 Classics)
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)
Gibson '08 Explorer (500T)
Soldano Avenger 100
No Name 4X12 w/ Texas Heat+V12
I Want More Stuff
+1 to Penguin ^

Let em know your switch off plan with which pickups.
I suggest you draw a color coded plan on paper to compare wire n coloring n such. Itll lose you..
I had an RG i switched the pickups out with a DiMarzios, man are they sweet. Its been a while, the bridge name slips my mind, the neck pickup is EvO or Evo something signature Vai pups. Goodluck!
Quote by penguinguy34
Try This

Pick Guitar, Enter year 2006, then pick RG350DX (same pup configuration as yours).

What pickup are you going to install; some pickups use different colors for the wires and where they are supposed to go, so don't get discouraged if if doesn't work perfectly the first time (though it just might ) just a tip; make sure you only desolder what you have to, if you don't know about wiring it can be a you-know-what to get it right again!

Thanks for your help, those diagrams could be very useful to me

I'll be installing a Seymour Duncan TB-5 on the bridge. Neck pickup might be something from Dimarzio, but i'm not too sure yet.

Thanks
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
Nice Choice, I myself have a Duncan Distortion in my RG and was looking to pair it up with a Dimarzio liquifire... but anyway; Glad I could help
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)
Soldano Avenger 100
I Want More Stuff
Quote by penguinguy34
Nice Choice, I myself have a Duncan Distortion in my RG and was looking to pair it up with a Dimarzio liquifire... but anyway; Glad I could help

Thanks again!

Btw, how is the Duncan Distortion? I will be playing rock/metal styles and when I talked to the guy at SD he led me to the Custom rather than the Distortion. It sounds like a pretty sweet pickup though. How do you think you would compare the two and what is your experience on it?
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
Well, the SH-6 (yes i use the regular rather than the trembucker) has a higher output than SH-5 and that was the first thing that appealed to me. It also has less bass and more pronounced mids which help for it to stand out a little more; in my opinion this gets me closer to that 80's hair metal tone. I was looking at the Custom also (the two are pretty similar) but what also gave the distortion the edge was that it was what one of my favorite artist used. Honestly you can't go wrong with the Custom it is a little more well-rounded (or useful for more than just metal) than the Distortion, I just love the sound i get with the SH-6. You probably won't even think about changing the pup after you install it, Many people love the sh-5! Let me know what you get for the Neck
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 (TB-6)
Soldano Avenger 100
I Want More Stuff
Quote by penguinguy34
Well, the SH-6 (yes i use the regular rather than the trembucker) has a higher output than SH-5 and that was the first thing that appealed to me. It also has less bass and more pronounced mids which help for it to stand out a little more; in my opinion this gets me closer to that 80's hair metal tone. I was looking at the Custom also (the two are pretty similar) but what also gave the distortion the edge was that it was what one of my favorite artist used. Honestly you can't go wrong with the Custom it is a little more well-rounded (or useful for more than just metal) than the Distortion, I just love the sound i get with the SH-6. You probably won't even think about changing the pup after you install it, Many people love the sh-5! Let me know what you get for the Neck

Hehe sounds good, can't wait to get it

For neck, i said before it would probably be something from Dimarzio. I'm leaning towards the Air Norton, I heard either that or Liquifire make excellent neck pickups.

Thanks
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I'm leaning towards a Liquifire for my seven string right now.

My friend and I changed the pups on my old GRG170DX last Christmas. Neither of us had any experience doing it. Just make sure one of you can read circuit diagrams and knows how to solder and you should be OK. It's really like any other wiring job: know which wires to remove and which ones to put where and you won't have any trouble at all. IIRC most aftermarket pups come with wiring diagrams of their own and Ibanez has any diagrams that are specific to your guitar.