Page 1 of 2
Hi, I am new to the site and just bought my first guitar from eBay. I know the seller doesn't seem 100% safe but it said Like New and it comes with a hardshell case. I got it for $107 shipped. Here it is: Epiphone Special II How did I do?
Fine, I guess. They're $200 new, and they're really not that great of guitars, but it'll be fine. The hardshell case alone would probably cost $100, so not a bad deal.
As a guy who owns one of those, there are some things that really piss me off about it. Some of the fretting seems a bit off, especially around the 12th fret. There's some really nasty string buzz that I can't seem to get rid of.

For a 100 bucks, it makes for an okay starter. If it were 200 bucks I'd just go for a Yamaha Pacifica as a starter.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
Ya I'm pretty broke so I was looking at something for around $100... I still need to get an amplifier. That's gonna be a whole-nother journey.
Looks like the consensus is telling my to get a Roland Cube amplifier. Not sure 15W or 30W or what price range but I will look in the coming days on eBay,
I'd get the 30x because of the built in effects and more distortions.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
looks like I am not going to get a Roland 40xl without paying north of $150. The 30x looks a little more realistic (under $100 hopefully).
Ok, the 30x will be just fine.
save your money and get something 300-400.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
save your money and get something 300-400.

Not gonna happen... at least not now. I only payed $100 for the guitar so I am not to that level yet. What I could do is get a really cheap amp i.e. Fender Frontman 15Watt for around $50 instead of a Roland Cube 30x at around $100. Still not sure what to do.
looks like a decent starting guitar, its visuals annoy the hell out of me though...
Crescent(No info on this, bought used, PM if you'd like to help me out...?)
2007 Warlock
Don't get a frontman. They stink. I used to have one but I really didn't like it and I exchanged it for the cube. I couldn't get a good distortion out of the frontman.
Quote by kutless999
Don't get a frontman. They stink. I used to have one but I really didn't like it and I exchanged it for the cube. I couldn't get a good distortion out of the frontman.

OK. How about a Peavey Studio Pro 112 for around $125? I believe it's 65 watts and they have it at the pawn shop asking $150!
I had the special II. I won't lie, the thing had a really sweet setup. The action was really low and didn't buzz. It had a better factory setup than Ive ever been able to accomplish on my guitars

That being said it didn't sound the greatest, far from it, and I ended up selling it for $100 with a soft case. Thats a decent deal IMO.

EDIT^ And I wouldn't. 65W for a solid state like that really won't be super loud if thats what your aiming at when you see the 65. I would stick with the cube or a vypyr liek people are suggesting. You can get the peavey vypyr 15w for under 75 bucks usually if you buy used.

They may even go for that new. I dont really remember.

If you do want to go for a solid state fender go for the Mustang. Good little modelling amps.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Jul 18, 2011,
As a first electric the Special II is totally fine. If you're still playing in a year or so you'll most likely outgrow it and be wanting to upgrade to something better but as a starter it will do the job just fine. Get it properly set up by a decent tech. And - get the Roland 30w.
Yes, get the cube 30x.
Quote by kutless999
Yes, get the cube 30x.

Ok, the only 30x I can find is on eBay that ends in 1 day 12 hours: Roland Cube 30x

But 6 hours earlier a VOX AD30VT with switch pedal ends.

So I may bid on the Vox first (since you guys said it's a good amp too). If you guys take a look at them tell me how high I should bid on each.

Thanks everyone, I will remember all this help when I get good at guitar and am able to give other beginners suggestions and assistance.
Quote by wite_rabit
Ok, the only 30x I can find is on eBay that ends in 1 day 12 hours: Roland Cube 30x

How much should I pay for this Roland 30x? Danke.
The cube 60 was made in 04, so its kinda old.

I would bid $100-125 and no higher than that.
Quote by bearsfan092
As a guy who owns one of those, there are some things that really piss me off about it. Some of the fretting seems a bit off, especially around the 12th fret. There's some really nasty string buzz that I can't seem to get rid of.

For a 100 bucks, it makes for an okay starter. If it were 200 bucks I'd just go for a Yamaha Pacifica as a starter.

That's just your guitar.. my Special II is fine.. Frets feel ok, no buzzing once set up etc. Only thing I dont like is the pup's but thats easily changed.. for a starter guitar its worth it
Quote by kutless999
The cube 60 was made in 04, so its kinda old.

I would bid $100-125 and no higher than that.

Ok, so the cube 60 is out of the running since it is now higher than that.
How about these two?
Vox AD30VT w/ Foot Switch
and
Cube 30x

How high should go on these?
Bid 130-150 on the ad30 and 80-100 on the 30x.
Quote by kutless999
Bid 130-150 on the ad30 and 80-100 on the 30x.

OK! and all along I thought you valued the 30x over the ad30vt.
This is a real dummy question but to my understanding you can save 2 preset setting on the amp and switch between them? Can you explain what a foot switch is in layman's terms?
You cant store presets on the 30x. A foot switch can change the channel of the amp, turn on and off effects, etc..
Ok, good luck!
nope didn't get it. I only bid $127. I will be patient. now the cube 30x ends in 6 1/2 hours.

another vox ends in 2 days. . .
Last edited by wite_rabit at Jul 19, 2011,
Quote by wite_rabit
nope didn't get it. I only bid $127. I will be patient. now the cube 30x ends in 6 1/2 hours.

another vox ends in 2 days. . .

Try GC used like I had said in the PM.

Works great
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Have you tried craigslist?

And the highest I would bid on the 30x is $110. It's not worth more than $115(used).
Quote by wite_rabit
does GC deliver? Never navigated the site before.

Yeah they deliver right to you doorstep or to your local GC. It still costs money to deliver to your GC though.

It should be the same as shipping from Ebay, if not less.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
OK So I got my amp
Paid 50 bucks shipped. it's a discontinued model. I decided to get this because the other amps were selling for too high plus this one is Brand New so I don't have to worry as much about the quality of the item. I just wish I would have made an offer for the brand new 30x discontinued model that went for $75...
Seems like a fair price to me. It's probably better as I will have more time to think and get some more experience before I move on to higher priced amps.
So how did I do?
I think you'll be perfectly happy with that one.

2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by wite_rabit
OK So I got my amp
Paid 50 bucks shipped. it's a discontinued model. I decided to get this because the other amps were selling for too high plus this one is Brand New so I don't have to worry as much about the quality of the item. I just wish I would have made an offer for the brand new 30x discontinued model that went for $75...
Seems like a fair price to me. It's probably better as I will have more time to think and get some more experience before I move on to higher priced amps.
So how did I do?

Congrats.

I'm glad you found an amp.

I've had my 15x for 4 years and it's still running strong. The only thing I wish it had was built in effects. But you could always get a mfx unit later.
Quote by kutless999
Congrats.

I'm glad you found an amp.

I've had my 15x for 4 years and it's still running strong. The only thing I wish it had was built in effects. But you could always get a mfx unit later.

OK, so I just got my Epi Special II in the mail. Looks flawless except I noticed that one of the screws fell out of the neck pickup so now it is loose. kutless I need you on this one.

My amp comes tomorrow hopefully.
Quote by wite_rabit
OK, so I just got my Epi Special II in the mail. Looks flawless except I noticed that one of the screws fell out of the neck pickup so now it is loose. kutless I need you on this one.

Gonna have to get a new screw

Should be able to find one at any hardware store really...Just take the guitar in, say I need a screw for that hole. They should be able to help.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by wite_rabit

Do you still have the screw? Can you show us a pic of the pickup?
phew... I fixed it myself. I should have mentioned that I had the screw. When I first tried to fix it the screw wasn't catching when i tried to tighten it but I just had to move the pickup up towards the neck a little and it tightened right up.
I am guessing the screw loosened during shipping from the vibrations of the truck maybe. I hope it doesn't loosen all the time!

How far should the pickup protrude from the guitar body. Right now the bridge pickup is out about halfway between the guitar body and the strings and so I fixed the neck pickup to come out the same amount.
Last edited by wite_rabit at Jul 26, 2011,
Page 1 of 2