To any UG'er who might know London... I'm studying here for a month and I can't find any guitar stores! Where might I find one?

Oh, and are there any places that carry bare knuckle pickups? I want to find some for my seven string. Thanks!
i was there once. there's a virgin megastore, but virgin stores suck

edit: they might have guitar stuff, not sure
Quote by So-Cal
Denmark Street

Yeah.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Don't buy from Denmark Street.

Go there to try stuff out, but expect it to be much more expensive than other places.
Denmark street has a lot but they are very overpriced.

For the best music shop in London I suggest you make the trip to Hanwell and go to The Flying Pig. Best music shop in the entire city.
Is there any place I can reach that's within zone 2 of the tube? Because that's as far as my cards provided by the school go.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Denmark street has a lot but they are very overpriced.

For the best music shop in London I suggest you make the trip to Hanwell and go to The Flying Pig. Best music shop in the entire city.

What would be the cheapest way for someone with no car to get there...?
Denmark Street is just by tottenham court road tube station(northern or central lines), or walking distance from oxford circus tube station (bakerloo, northern or victoria lines). - Both in central London.

It's got plenty of character and a great place to waste the day, but the shops are full of old elitists who are very aware that most people who come in do so just to play the expensive instruments rather than buy anything. It's also slightly more expensive than an average place.

look up the london underground map, man.

Alternatively, buy an all zone travelcard, get to waterloo, then get either a train to epsom (for guitarguitar - http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/london_shop.asp) or to guildford (for andertons - http://www.andertons.co.uk/), which are the two biggest stores just outside central london, and have a much more "american" feel, as well as larger stocks and competitive prices.

As for specific pickups, I'd recommend trying those two superstores, or just getting them online (if you know exactly what you want). They both do deliveries.
edit: ^nobody uses cars in london. tubes get you anywhere, then walk from the station. or blackcab it yo.

Anywhere you go, I recommend not going at the weekends. Shops full of holidaying teenagers wanting to play shitty metal on expensive bc richs annoy you and the staff. On quieter days, most of the shops can be quite friendly and nice.
call me ziggy.
Last edited by earthisearthis at Jul 16, 2011,
Denmark Street, every shop is full of cunts, that will try to make you feel like you suck at guitar and that they are better, cunts.
Quote by eds1275
What would be the cheapest way for someone with no car to get there...?

fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl">fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl">http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=flying%20pig%20hanwell&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

If you can only go to zone 2 then go to Acton and walk. Or go to Ealing and get the bus to Hanwell.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

When did you last go there? Googling them, the given website is defunct and they don't appear at the given address on Street View (though that could be outdated).
Quote by blue_strat
When did you last go there? Googling them, the given website is defunct and they don't appear at the given address on Street View (though that could be outdated).

WHAT.

A couple of years ago. I'm so sad if they're gone, that guitar shop has been around for ages it's an absolute treasure
Quote by earthisearthis
Yeah, pretty sure the flying pig is gone.

Did they go bankrupt or did they just move location?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Did they go bankrupt or did they just move location?

Well seeing as their internet presence has gone, I guess they went bankrupt.
call me ziggy.
Quote by earthisearthis
Well seeing as their internet presence has gone, I guess they went bankrupt.

I am genuinely so gutted by that news The Flying Pig was amazing. I bought my very first guitar in there and they were never patronising or rude or any of the guitar shop staff stereotypes.

Sorry TS for giving you wrong information.

Another good guitar shop in London I've bought from (and touch wood this one actually exists) is Wembley Guitar Centre just behind the stadium. Good pedal range.