so i was screwing around in a sam ash today. they had the entire line of visual sound pedals on 1 board. never plated em, so i tried em out.

i was messing with the compressor cause ive never used one. i must say, in person tehy do 10000 ties more than they do in videos. really cool. i played the riff from Temple of the Dog - Hunger strike with it on and off. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

anyways, it got me thinking. it was quiet. seemed to do its job. so what makes 1 comp better than another? i mean durability, ture bypass etc yes. but in they all do thier job of making notes equal volumes, then what is better about one?

like ODs. very different. have thier own drastically different characteristics. i cant really seem what would make a better comp than this visual sound.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 16, 2011,
not adding a ton of noise is helpful too.

transparent is good if that's what you're looking for, but you're not always looking for that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well yeah that goes for any pedals. but why pay 200-300-400 for a keeley comp or a regualr 100 MXR or visual sound?
well, sure, but i mean a compressor is very susceptible to it, because by raising the troughs in the signal, it's also raising the noise floor.

EDIT: regarding your question, though... I dunno. I'm not too well up on compressors. But certainly an awful lot of boutique effects (not all) are very lightly modified easy to get hold of effects.

hit up free stompboxes, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well i have done some research and teh mxr dyna comp has an adjustable internal pot for the built in noise gate and the visual sound comp 66 has a noise gate circuit.

im thinking these in the signal could not only be used a comp but clean up my signal path.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
lots of things make a good compressor, transparency and no noise for example. a good increase in sustain, or the creation of a heavily, obviously compressed tone some people like. look at how they effect the dynamics of your picking
Depends what you're looking for, as with all things.

The Diamond comp is regarded as one of the best on the market.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

tried out a MXR custom comp. very subtle. didnt seem to insrease sustain that much. only added a ton of noise when fully dimed.

i suppose its ok. i noticed no tone coloring. not very much. you can get teh dyna comp for 60-70 so thats good.

i tried the visual sound, seemed to have a stronger effect.