Page 1 of 2
Well I originally set out to get a Mesa Booger Triple Rectifier because I needed all 150 watts for my industrial deathcore band, Annihilating Fetus. So after talking to some prospective sellers off of craigslist for a while, I found what I was searching for.

Fast forward to today, where I plan to meet the guy who has the brutal machine known as a Triple Rectum Frier. He opened up the back of his car and I see this amp... it's not even what I wanted!

Obviously not a triple rectifier, this thing only has 100 watts! How am I supposed to deafen innocent children without 150 watts?!? Plus it's got some stupid "Road King" thing written underneath it.

How am supposed to know what to turn to 10 with all these lights in the way? They say something about Progressive Linkage and Rectifier Tracking, like that matters.

So many knobs on the back of it... where the hell am I supposed to start?

9 buttons on a footswitch, seriously Mesa Boogie? All I need is a button to take me to instant brootz.

This isn't even the amp I was supposed to buy. It's got 4 channels that go from sparkling cleans, to ballsy fat tones, to extreme saturation and articulation, to liquid leads. It will probably take me a couple weeks just to read this 52-page manual that Mesa Boogie has on it. This is the most diverse and versatile amplifier I've ever owned!

I guess it will do for now...

But seriously, greatest amp I've ever played. People say the cleans on the Series 2 are better, but these are still more than enough for me, especially after owning a 5150. Definitely worth the money, and I think I'll be set when it comes to amps for a while.

EDIT: Clips are on my profile page Recorded with a SM57 > Mixer > Audacity... signal was amplified and that's it. Just a raw signal pretty much.

EDIT 2: Back panel pictures on page 2.
Last edited by polishedbullet at Jul 17, 2011,
So you set out to buy a Triple and the guy ends up having a Road King??? How the hell does that happen? You better make sure he didn't steal it or something.

HNAD nonetheless.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
HNAD!

Though answer me this, I've been wondering it for a while. (n00b question alert!) What's the difference between a Dual Rectifier and A Road King?
****ing awesome.

So much want.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I hate you. So much. Gah.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by robhc
HNAD!

Though answer me this, I've been wondering it for a while. (n00b question alert!) What's the difference between a Dual Rectifier and A Road King?

I'm not sure about all the subtle differences, but the Road King is based off the Dual Rectifier in terms of power, but adds on to it in every other way. Since mine is a Series 1, there's not much info on Mesa's site about it compared to the newer Series 2. However, the RK has Progressive Linkage, which allows you to choose which of the 4 6L6 and 2 EL34's to run per channel (4 channels in total, compared to the Dual Rec's 3).

The coolest thing I found was that if you have 2 cabinets, you can choose which cabinets (A,B,A+B) to run for each individual channel. You can also choose what loop (there's 2 effects loops) to run per channel. Along with that, you can choose between Recto-Tracking or Diode clipping. The only channel I currently use Diode on is Channel 4.

So yeah, tl;dr - The RK a Dual Rec with a bunch of extra options added on to it. If I missed anything, someone can correct me.

I. Hate. You. So. Much.

HNAD though!
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Hnad!
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
whats your address??

im coming to steal it
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Poor teenager my ass

Glad to see it worked out for you

HNAD!

Also, more pics of the back of that amp...what are all the freaking knobs ands witches on the back for?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
hmmmmmmmmm switches....
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
I'm glad you got this over Mesa Preamp you were looking at. While that would have been versatile in its own right - this monster just jizzes awesomeness. Very jealous.

Great story for your NAD too

what did you have before the 5150? you've been on quite the amp upgrade ride if I remember correctly.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
this monster just jizzes awesomeness.

HNAD!
Probably the most intimidatingly complex amp ever!
I want one!

EDIT: Not only are they sexy on the outside, the insides are pretty sweet looking too;

Last edited by littlephil at Jul 16, 2011,
Congrats! This is a tweaker's amp.

I loved mine and kinda miss it. You'll definitely spend a lot of time exploring the different settings, power tube combinations with different cabs/speakers. That amp was responsible for me going through so many speakers.

dicek -- I'll take some more detailed pictures of the back tomorrow. They're mainly changing what type of power tube you want, what loops to run in that channel, etc.

shred -- No thanks

311 -- First I bought a Crate Blue Voodoo halfstack, sold the Crate head, bought a 5150, sold the 5150, but this. It's been a good ride in the past year or so I'd say. Might be settling down with amp heads for now. Still looking for the matching Mesa cab though..

Ippon -- What speakers did you use? I've got a 412 with Vintage 30s I'm running in 4 ohms at the moment and it sounds pretty good. Cleans are great but I'm still dialing in Channels 3 and 4. Can I run a 16 ohm cab out of it at all? It has 2 jacks and underneath it's labeled "8-16," which still confuses me.
You can run the 16-ohm cab through the 8-16 outlet. I believe the manual even says it's a safe match to go from the 8-ohm outlet to a 16-ohm cab, from the 4-ohm outlet to an 8-ohm cab. It definitely loves the V30s, my preference, too. High wattage speakers with tight Lows like the Swamp Thangs are specially nice when you turn up the Gain in combination with single coils.

Back pictures as requested:

Each channel can have different tubes assigned to it, along with speaker cabinets and effects loops.

Effects loops, latching and pulses jacks (still not sure of what latching does?)

Some more jacks..

Speaker outs and reverb controls. Slave Out is to the left of the speaker outs.

The back in all of its glory. My favorite little find has to be the computer fan that's cooling the power tubes (couldn't get a good shot of it)
The thought if having so many jacks and knobs seems pointless but I can't help the fact it's sexy and I want one!
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Alright TS, I got a question for you that I want to know, and want to hear from a first hand source.

The RK II is my dream amp, and I have full intentions of owning it someday. But, I've heard that when you're channel switching between different power tubes, there is a delay. Is that true? Because I plan to gig the shit out of it when I do eventually get one, and channel switching delay just isn't acceptable for me.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
All those knobs jusat seem so unneeded

Still though, congrats. Hope you can figure that thing out.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
wait for ippon or matrixclaw or ragingkitty to respond - or post on the boogie boards.

Wow... I get "wait for XXX to reply" messages now... cool.

Haha I also like how often my initials are bantered throughout this thread.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I've learned that all these knobs provide me with any tone I can really imagine. The only thing I think I would ever buy to help this amp would be a boost of some sort to tighten up the low end. But I'm still extremely happen with it as is, my GAS is quenched for amps.

Ippon -- I think I'm spent for the summer. I've been wanting to pick up a cheap acoustic to bring with me to college. But a matching cab and sturdy road case are my next 2 big purchases for this amp. I need to baby the hell out of this thing.

OffWorld92 -- First, I have the Road King Series 1, not 2, so I can't answer your question fully. However, I don't really hear a delay whatsoever when channel switching, so I'd say you'd be fine.

Quote by Offworld92
Alright TS, I got a question for you that I want to know, and want to hear from a first hand source.

The RK II is my dream amp, and I have full intentions of owning it someday. But, I've heard that when you're channel switching between different power tubes, there is a delay. Is that true? Because I plan to gig the shit out of it when I do eventually get one, and channel switching delay just isn't acceptable for me.
MB forum? Link? I'm monitoring the RK II myself.

Look at this back:

Quote by Ippon
MB forum? Link? I'm monitoring the RK II myself.

Look at this back: "pic"

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're asking/saying.

What I'm asking is, if you have a channel (A) set up with EL34's, and you have a Channel (B) set up with 6L6's, when you switch from A to B using the footswitch, is there a delay?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
No, it was in the Youtube comments of a demo of an RK II I was watching.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by littlephil

It's so hard to tell which side is the front and which is the back
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I don't notice a delay switching between power tubes and channels, so I really wouldn't think the Series 2 would be any different when it comes to that.

Ippon -- I paid $1375 for everything. Suprisingly, I'm the fourth owner, but it basically is in mint condition besides a small nick in the front cloth. The previous guy said he paid $1600 (also said this was his third RK, wtf?), and the guy before him paid $1900.

Also, I'll be calling Mesa Boogie today to find out what year it is. I believe the number is RK000949.
Last edited by polishedbullet at Jul 18, 2011,
Page 1 of 2