Hey, guys. I've been playing for about 10 months (electric). I practice quite a lot. Recently I've noticed some fairly serious damage on my fingertips. Finger 1, 2, and 3 have string-shaped holes in them. It's there all the time, and not only directly after I've held down a string. I've still been able to play, but sometimes when I press down too hard with my index finger (which seems the worst) I feel a kind of shock or tingle go through my finger, which is pretty painful. Whenever I play, I'm pretty wary of pushing down too hard, so it feels kind of inhibiting. Should I call it quits for a while, or just keep playing? Also wondering if you guys know of any finger caps I can use? I've called a few music stores around here, with no luck, so I'd have to order it from overseas. Thanks in advance.
It's normal. Keep playing. Don't bother with finger caps.

/thread.

EDIT: Except for the shock when you press down. That's not normal. But then finger caps won't help with that.
I stopped playing about 3 hours ago and my fingers haven't sprung back yet. They still have grooves in them. Nothing to worry about.

EDIT: You need a groove on you little finger too. Don't waste a quarter of your arsenal of destruction!
Try and give it a rest for a few days or a week.

It's what i had to do when i first started, just to let your wrist/fingers recover
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by DSB__
It's there all the time, and not only directly after I've held down a string. I've still been able to play, but sometimes when I press down too hard with my index finger (which seems the worst) I feel a kind of shock or tingle go through my finger, which is pretty painful.

I would get shocked by my strings if I had my bare feet on the platform that my computer is on.
OK, so the grooves are normal; I don't mind them anyways. But what about the shock I feel running through my index finger? I'm not a sissy, but it really does hurt. Is there any workaround, or is my only option to stop for a while?
Use thicker strings. Then you can get a big dent from the low Em, and amaze your friends by making a coin stand up in the groove.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Use thicker strings. Then you can get a big dent from the low Em, and amaze your friends by making a coin stand up in the groove.

This makes me want to get thicker strings, just for that. Oh, there's not a low Em. It's a single string, thus, not major nor minor. I know this as I have been studying theory a lot lately.
i get electocuted by my strings if i touch my istation and strings ar the same time, might be somthing like that.
Must be at the wrong site; thought this was UG, not 4chan. I'll take a break for a couple of days, if I can force myself. Thanks, guys.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
This makes me want to get thicker strings, just for that. Oh, there's not a low Em. It's a single string, thus, not major nor minor. I know this as I have been studying theory a lot lately.

That was a typo. I accidentally went to hit space, and got the 'M' by accident.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by DSB__
Must be at the wrong site; thought this was UG, not 4chan. I'll take a break for a couple of days, if I can force myself. Thanks, guys.

oh please, you're fine. if it's that serious go seek medical attention instead of asking a bunch of jackasses in a forum subsection called "the pit"
Quote by DSB__

There's butthurt all up in this bitch.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
That was a typo. I accidentally went to hit space, and got the 'M' by accident.

Hey guys, check this guy out, he reckons the low E string is an E minor, what a total noob guys, are you listening guys? What a guitar noob.

dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
Hey guys, check this guy out, he reckons the low E string is an E minor, what a total noob guys, are you listening guys? What a guitar noob.

Pfft, you and your theory need to fuck off.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by Trowzaa

He's a Punk - he doesn't care about your rules!
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
This is the pit - This thread could've survived the mods in either the guitar techniques or electric guitar forums - YOU CHOSE TO POST HERE.

Lesson learned?
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.