hey guys, so we're a recently formed band of 2 months...and we came across this gig thats setting up a 2-day festival with 40 bands playing and all kinds of other stuff....so we spoke to their booking guy who said that we'd have to sell at least 15 tickets for $25 bucks...i know its the "pay to play" scheme

so to me personally this doesn't feel right...i'm yet to hear from my other band mates on the matter....but for a new band thats only played 3 shows so far on campus and realistically can't expect to drag in a lot of people for a show like this...assuming we somehow pull in enough people to play...do u think its something a young band shoud do? or is it just cheap labor for the promoter and a waste of the bands time?

please share your experiences and advice
A gigs a gig.

If you fail horribly though, it'll be hard for anyone to remember your band name out of 40 others.
BLANKBLANK
cheap labor for the promoter.

my band had a similar experience and it was not worth what we paid...If I was you find another gig
I did that with my band. It was our first gig. We sold 30 tickets at $10 each. We got all of our friends to drive up to the show (a bit over an hour away). It was a really fun time. I agree that it's cheap labor, but if you guys wanna just have a fun time, go for it. As long as you don't have to go too far into your pockets, it should be a fun time, and it's some exposure as well. I don't think it could hurt all that much
Quote by Eddie4President
You are amazing. The fact that you have paramore next to disturbed shows how awesome you are.
Here, an awesome medal. It's made out of awesomnite.
:extends medal:

Quote by Fallen_Seeker
Thank you!
I would give you an awesome metal, but
I can't find any awesomnite.
we do that all the time, we sell the tickets, but we get money for it. Sometimes free booze too
Quote by rayven1lk
hey guys, so we're a recently formed band of 2 months...and we came across this gig thats setting up a 2-day festival with 40 bands playing and all kinds of other stuff....so we spoke to their booking guy who said that we'd have to sell at least 15 tickets for $25 bucks...i know its the "pay to play" scheme

so to me personally this doesn't feel right...i'm yet to hear from my other band mates on the matter....but for a new band thats only played 3 shows so far on campus and realistically can't expect to drag in a lot of people for a show like this...assuming we somehow pull in enough people to play...do u think its something a young band shoud do? or is it just cheap labor for the promoter and a waste of the bands time?

please share your experiences and advice

I know a few guys who've done this. If you're confident enough to go for it, have the time to push the tickets and the dedication to do so I'd say go for it. It's good practice for other gigs and festivals. If you're worried you can't sell it based on your band, focus on mentioning other bands that are playing, especially if they're pretty popular on the local scene.
i forgot to mention btw that we're an outfit in long island and this gig is all the way up in oswego...its like a 6 hr drive...so it makes it that much more difficult to sell haha...but we figure its good exposure for us if we could pull it off...keep it comin guys
a lot of people are really against the pay to play thing but personally i feel like its a much more difficult job for the venue promoter to actually sell the tickets rather than the band...i mean after all with bands setting up their facebook and myspace pages its way easier to follow the bands word than wat some promoters say...anyone agree?
Quote by rayven1lk
i forgot to mention btw that we're an outfit in long island and this gig is all the way up in oswego...its like a 6 hr drive...so it makes it that much more difficult to sell haha...but we figure its good exposure for us if we could pull it off...keep it comin guys

That may be a problem.
If you've got the means of travelling up their on your own steam it may be ok. But if you need to rent a van don't forget to figure in those costs.
the 6 hour drive thing kinda puts a damper on the ticket sales... what you should do is try to get some of your best friends to go up, spend the day/night whatever, go get some food... make a whole event out of it for your friends. People would be much more willing to drive 6 hours for a whole day of activity rather than just to see a friend's band kick some ass
Quote by Eddie4President
You are amazing. The fact that you have paramore next to disturbed shows how awesome you are.

Quote by Fallen_Seeker
Thank you!
hey greekboy..nice to see u again...yeah thats wat i was thinkin..turn it into some kinda road trip adventure..coz they get to camp out there and spend 2 days for $25 bucks...sounds like it could be a fun time with 6-packs involved....
haha I'm finally making a name for myself on the forums >.<
Good to see you again too mate!
But yeah, that's the right idea. If you sold the tickets as a lot more than just your show, you'd be a lot more likely to get people to come up and support you guys. Have friends bring friends, and who knows, maybe you'll even sell more tickets than you have to. That way after your band plays, you can all go to where everyone's camping out, have a party, get to know some new people, get some more fans, and turn it into a whole experience, not just a show.

Not that just a show isn't good enough, or that I don't believe in your band, I just think if you can throw a lot more stuff into the deal, it would seem more entertaining to the people driving for 6 hours to go see ya
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by Fallen_Seeker
Thank you!
yeah dude...sounds like a good idea...its just that everybody talks abt this kinda method of getting in a gig like a scam and will forever torture the reputation of ur band or somethin lmao
Quote by greekboy slim
haha I'm finally making a name for myself on the forums >.<

Not a good thing man. Look at all the names most people recognise on UG.
Eric_Fail, GbAbDim7, IdkWhatImDoing... not a good thing man.

*is secretly jealous of those who are recognised*
isnt the first rule of gigging, never pay to play?

i mean the venue makes money from ticket sales, stupid high markup on drinks and/or food, gain publicity for their venue, and whatever other perks come with all that.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
isnt the first rule of gigging, never pay to play?

i mean the venue makes money from ticket sales, stupid high markup on drinks and/or food, gain publicity for their venue, and whatever other perks come with all that.

Yeah,i think there is a article on Ehow or Wikihow that says that "Pay to play" is a scam.
don't trust promoters like that. its their job to find people to listen to the music, its your job to provide the music. my band had to give this one **** of a promoter $200 to play and we didn't get paid anything in the end, and the only people who saw our band were people we personally invited. the promoter needs to PROMOTE the event, not just lounge and steal the bands money.
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.