Page 1 of 2
Well, I've had it for a week. But today I took my guitar, backtrack recorder, and my new Zoom G3 to a local park. It's all battery powered and I used headphones. Found a nice bench by the lake in the shade and started noodling around and twisting a few dials. The songs in my profile are the result. Everything from the G3.

This is what I bought the G3 for. It has a built in drum machine and 40 sec looper that work together. Something no other multifx does. Well the Pandora does a limited version of this also, but anyway... here's some songs using the looper and a pic.

Baldwin Park

Tangerine (Orange) amp model on the lead w/ analog delay. Rhythm with US Blues (Tweed) amp, flanger (even though it says phaser), and tape delay.

Some Bird

Acoustic sim for the rhythm. Tangerine amp on the melody. The auto-wah kicks in around 2:15.

Outta Town

Acoutic sim on the the rhythm. Then I layer in some auto-wah and the Z'Organ effect. And some clean noodling further on in.

Last edited by fly135 at Aug 13, 2011,
I'm glad you like it.

HNZG3D!

Did you get it new?

Nice riffin.

What distortion stompbox were you using?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 16, 2011,
That pedal looks really easy to use multi-effect pedal. Does it have decent effects or even somewhat AWESOME effects?
Anyway, Happy New Multi-effects Pedal Day!
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Just saw this for the first time the other day, and reaaaaaly want to try it out. Seems like a cheap (and more intuitive) m9 alternative.

The filter models and bit crusher alone really make me want one.
I was using the settings you see for the background rhythm that's looped. Alhough I used a flanger instead of the phaser. The main riffs settings were left to right... Compressor/OD, Tangerine amp, and Analog Delay. The comp/OD is a combined effect. The Tangerine is an Orange amp model.

Seems like it's got lots of high gain amp and stomps. I'm not a huge high gain user. It does have some cool FX. It operates like 3 separate pedals and you don't have to use an amp model. Any combination or order is ok, but you can exceed the DSP limit. You can also use an external expression pedal. I've tried the $30 M-Audio pedal and it works great.

They really did a good job with giving you full control over the unit. However one thing I didn't like was that some of the modulation stomps had a level control instead of a mix. I see no problem with putting this in with you regular pedalboard. Put it at the end of the chain and you can use the 40 sec looper with your other pedals. Drum machine too.
How many effects can you have running at a time?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Just saw this for the first time the other day, and reaaaaaly want to try it out. Seems like a cheap (and more intuitive) m9 alternative.

The filter models and bit crusher alone really make me want one.
I have an M5 and will say I like the FX on it better. Although the M5 has no amp models. But the G3 is a good 1/2 price version of the M9, and you can read the screen better I like how the M series have their FX in groups. Unfortunately all the FX/amps on the G3 are in a single group so it's more difficult to cycle through and find what you want.

No complaints as the loop/drum combo and portability is awesome.
Quote by kutless999
How many effects can you have running at a time?
Three. It's designed like 3 separate stomps. As I mentioned there are some FX that are 2 in 1. The compressor/overdrive was one of the double fx. There are some others.
Quote by fly135
Three. It's designed like 3 separate stomps. As I mentioned there are some FX that are 2 in 1. The compressor/overdrive was one of the double fx. There are some others.

Hmm... Well that's different from the rp.

So can you have noise gate, compression, distortion, reverb, and delay running at the same time, or just 3 things? How does that work?
Just three. Pretend it's 3 individual pedals that perform one function each. But you can choose from 100 functions. And you can put the pedals in any order. And again there are a few fx that have two in one.

It's not the same as an RP or Pod HD. This is the new FX paradigm started by Line 6 with the M series. Zoom just took the idea and gave you a lot more for $200.

I wouldn't go by me as far as judging how great the FX are relative to the RP or HD. I am always hooking up to different stuff, so I get a bit scatterbrained trying to compare. Plus I have a real mixed system running into a clean tube amp.

Here's a pic. I have the whole pedalboard in the stomp loop of the RP1000. I also have a Hafler 3 channel tube preamp (not in the picture) in the RP1000 amp loop. I put the G3 between the output of the RP1000 and the Crate amp so I can use the looper and drum machine. The RP1000 is awesome because it completely buffers everything and IMO don't really have a tone loss problem.

Hey fly, could you maybe upload those two clips to sound cloud? Because I can't listen to mp3's on UG from my iPod touch. But I can listen to stuff on soundcloud.
Quote by kutless999
Hey fly, could you maybe upload those two clips to sound cloud? Because I can't listen to mp3's on UG from my iPod touch. But I can listen to stuff on soundcloud.
Some Bird
Outta Town
Quote by fly135

Thanks I'll listen in a minute.
Sounds great.
I love listening to your clips fly..... HNPD!
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Thanks for the listen guys. There's just something about a looper with drums that really let's you get into a creative groove. When I first saw this announced I knew I had to have it.

The weird thing is I have both a GNX4 and a Jamman, but I do more with the loopers that don't save the loops. Like the ME-25 and now the G3. I wish the G3 had the freeze effect on the ME-25. But the drums definitely make up for that.

If you're interested here's what I do...

1) Start the recorder
2) Pick a drum pattern and tempo
3) Strum some kind of rhythm along with the drums
4) After you get it down, put the rhythm into the looper
5) Start noodling notes on the fretboard and try to find one's that fit or aren't sour sounding. I usually start with some notes that are in the chords I strummed.
6) Keep noodling and after a while you stop hitting the sour notes so often. You'll settle into a groove with the beat.
7) After you've been playing a while (about 30 minutes or so in my case) call it a wrap.

When you download the file from the recorder you should be able to find 5 minutes or so of a good session to save for your song.

I also dabble with selecting and adjusting the FX and trying out things while I'm doing it. You'll forget all about being recorded since it just runs continuous through the numerous mistakes. You can also overdub into the rhythm, but make it simple because if you make a mistake then you have to rerecord the loop.
WOW, never seen a 312 cabinet

HNG3D ^^
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
WOW, never seen a 312 cabinet

HNG3D ^^
It's actually a 3x10. Looking at the pic I can see how you would think it's a 3x12. It's a big heavy sucker for sure. Great tone.
sounds sweet man, hnpd
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Hey, can you tell any difference in sound compared to your rp?
Quote by kutless999
Hey, can you tell any difference in sound compared to your rp?
I haven't really compared them in the same situation. All the recording I've made have been direct into a handheld recorder with headphones. But I'm very happy with the results. I'd say they are comparable in sound quality. But the G3 has some more fancy FX like the Pod HD. Like the Z-Organ I used in Outta Town. I like the auto-wah as well, even though the RP has the similar Env Filter.
Last edited by fly135 at Aug 13, 2011,
How much are those handheld recorders? It's a lot of work for me to hook up my rp to my laptop to record something so I might consider getting one of those.
congrats fly!

i can't listen now but i will later. it sounds very interesting from your description.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I have two. The Line 6 Backtrack is normally $150, but I found mine used on Craigslist for $60. I also picked up the Tascam DR-3 recorder (normally $80) on sale at GC for $50. The Tascam is stereo and overall a better recorder w/ better controls. The Backtrack has a horrible user interface.

But the Backtrack has some special advantages and there is a $100 version without mic. It's battery is built in/rechargeable and has a long life between charging (over USB). Because the user interface is so bad you just turn it on and forget about it. It starts and stops recording automatically during periods of silence. And it has passthru (1/4" in and out) so you can just put it between your amp/PA and pedalboard to record direct. The mic is not that great.

The backtrack was used in my recordings. Although the Tascam mic was used in Slide Dreams. It's a better mic than the Backtrack.

Quote by gregs1020
congrats fly!

i can't listen now but i will later. it sounds very interesting from your description.
Cool Greg. I was hoping you'd give it a look. The songs Baldwin Park, Some Bird, and Outta Town are 100% the G3 including drums.

I used the G3 as a looper on Dark Wave, but the M5 was the main source of FX and my DOD FX100 for gain tone.
I'll have to check those out. Thanks

Do they make cheaper versions or will the quality go down the cheaper you go?
ya i need something with drums and a looper. i'm looking for something decent.

i don't use a lot of effects, just some dirt and some reverb is about it really. (and even those rarely at the same time).

but i do want a looper with drums, headphone jack would be a plus but not needed really. my stuff all works at volumes i can live with.
Quote by kutless999
I'll have to check those out. Thanks

Do they make cheaper versions or will the quality go down the cheaper you go?
It doesn't get any cheaper than the Tascam DR-3 at $50 (on sale). I've seen them on sale at GC 2 or 3 times.
Quote by gregs1020
but i do want a looper with drums, headphone jack would be a plus but not needed really. my stuff all works at volumes i can live with.
Other than the G3 there isn't much out there for a multifx w/ synced drums and looper. There's the GNX4 but the G3 is much more handy.
Okay, thanks. I'll just stick with my laptop for now.
HNPD, sounds real nice.

Quick question on the Backtrack, have you tried it in the FX loop of an amp? Really interested as to how it sounds sitting after the preamp.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by fly135
Other than the G3 there isn't much out there for a multifx w/ synced drums and looper. There's the GNX4 but the G3 is much more handy.

well i have the effects i need.

a looper with drums would be nice though.
What about This
Page 1 of 2