Okay guys - need some help and feedback regarding my tone.

Im going for a clear & tight tone, in the vein of Killswitch Engage, and djent bands like Periphery, Meshuggah, etc.

With my speaker setup IRL, it sounds perfect. Getting it to record well - is a whole 'nother story.

I slopped together a real quick recording - let me know what you think, and what it needs.

Right now Im recording it direct, with a speaker modeling plugin and EQ and what-not.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13321068/Metalcore%20Tone.mp3
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Too many factors and little info, it just sounds like a mess..

What are you recording with? guitar/pedals/interface
What are your settings? gain/EQ/etc.
What plugin are you using? What cab impulses are you using?
Any other post production?

To me it sounds like either way too much gain or problematic recording setup, or crappy impulses/plugin
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
Quote by Bigaxmax
Too many factors and little info, it just sounds like a mess..

What are you recording with? guitar/pedals/interface
What are your settings? gain/EQ/etc.
What plugin are you using? What cab impulses are you using?
Any other post production?

To me it sounds like either way too much gain or problematic recording setup, or crappy impulses/plugin

Guitar: Fender Jim Root Telecaster
Effects System: Line 6 M9
Interface: Direct out from a hartke power amp into my mixer, connected to my PC through a USB interface.
DAW: REAPER

The speaker modulation is Voxengo Boogex.

Channel settings for the distortion:

Gain: 7.5
Bass: 4
Mid: 4
Treble: 5

I also have a bass boost running through the power amp.

Now I repeat - it all sounds great in person. I just cant get it to record well. But then again, I only recorded this in 10 minutes. I didnt apply a whole bunch of post-production like I do with full blown recordings.

Here is an example of full production:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13321068/Powershift%20-%20Life%20Denied.mp3
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Lower the gain as much as possible, disable the bass boost, make sure their arent any impedance problems going from the amp to mixer to interface (you might be messing with guitar/line level inputs/outputs)
Check that you are only using the cabinet simulation of Boogex, im pretty sure it acts as a preamp too if you dont turn it off.
Get some good impulses (the VST Amp Simulation thread has some)
Then put a lowpass filter on at around 6000-7000hz
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
Quote by Bigaxmax
Lower the gain as much as possible, disable the bass boost, make sure their arent any impedance problems going from the amp to mixer to interface (you might be messing with guitar/line level inputs/outputs)
Check that you are only using the cabinet simulation of Boogex, im pretty sure it acts as a preamp too if you dont turn it off.
Get some good impulses (the VST Amp Simulation thread has some)
Then put a lowpass filter on at around 6000-7000hz

Idk, I plug the XLR direct out (it's balanced) into the mixer's input (it says bal/unbal), and the EQ is flat and with no effects. The interface is just a simple behringer USB-to-RCA interface. The direct out from the amp has no cab sim - so it's pretty harsh. And yes, I turned the boogex pre-amp off. I also have a MXL 992 LDC mic I sometimes mic a cab up with, but it's a pain in the ass to get it to sound good. But normally I just run two tracks recording the direct out. As I said, it wasn't a polished recording, only meant to get a quick tone check.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro