I thought the same thing when I bought my strat - there are so many different versions it's hard to differentiate. They all have different appointments depending on the series but within the series they're pretty much the same.

Simple answer-
Look at the fender site and figure out what features you really want and what you don't. Features vary by series.
Based on what you've figured out, go into the store and play the different series you've singled out.
Are there features you realized you needed afterward or didn't need?
Once you've figured out the series you want it's a matter of colour preference and the rest you can change down the road if you need to.

In terms of quality it's supposed to go MIM-->MIJ-->MIA. With my upgraded reissue MIM I and other people that have played it honestly can't tell the difference at all between it and an MIA so make sure you don't take someone's word and try it yourself.
im a strat man myself and having owned/played many...they each offer quite different features/advantage

what genre of music do you play?
what are some artists you like?
price range?
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Im looking to play John frusciante/Hendrix but also stuff like KoL/QotSA/linkin park...
So im still not quite sure if i should get a SSS or HSS

maybe i should get http://www.musicstore.com:80/en_EN/EUR/Fender-American-Special-Strat-HSS-RW-3-Tone-Sunburst/art-GIT0018149-000?recId=9bade120-06d8-477d-8ec0-14785bfece42&campaign=EPOQ#FullDetails
wich is MIA and just fits my budget
Last edited by swepussi at Jul 16, 2011,
it won't be bad
i would stick with SSS for that kinda sound

if you plan on different sounds, are you going to get other guitars?
meaning- do you want a more diverse sounding guitar or a guitar that matches frusciante/hendrix tones better?
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
I realy wanna get tha frusciante/Hendrix sound but the american specials with SSS come with maple fretboards and i would preffer rosewood, but i guess i'l just have to deal with it
is musicstore your local guitar shop?

if so i'd want to try out their house "Fame" brand. Allegedly they're made in Poland, and they have a couple of fender copy models with good specs.

Bound to be worth a try, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by swepussi
I realy wanna get tha frusciante/Hendrix sound but the american specials with SSS come with maple fretboards and i would preffer rosewood, but i guess i'l just have to deal with it

the roadworn series isn't bad and will get you close to the tone you want (of course the other gear you use will need to be in line for hendrix of RHCP). you may want to look at a MIM strat and consider an upgrade or 2.