i really want a high-gain amp head that sounds tight, like a solid-state amp, but doesn't sound as sterile. another big part i'm looking for in an amp is one that i can get a really good scooped sound out of it. last thing is that i want the amp to have a good amount of volume and i don't want the tone to be altered the higher i turn up the volume, or at least not too much so the alteration can't be reversed with some tweaking of the EQ. any suggestions please? i'm open to all types of heads (tubes, solid-state, hybrid, etc.) and please, no bashing of solid-states and no, i repeat, NO criticizing of my wanting scooped mids. thank you
Last edited by rocker1122 at Jul 16, 2011,
*inb4solidstatebashing*

Hmm... If you can find one, Ampeg VH140c or a Crate GX130c (same amp rebranded). Almost all of the death metal bands of the early 90's used it.

You could also try a Randall RG100es/Dime D100 (again, both are the same amp rebranded), and clean boost it with a Boss MT-2 (i.e.: Gain 0, Level midway, EQ to your liking) to get that heavy, thick sound that you hear in some of Crowbars stuff (just listen to the studio version of "Planets Collide"). Not only does it sound good, but it gives the MT-2 another use other than a paperweight.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Jul 16, 2011,
Randall V2
Randall T2
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Budget?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by GNR4EVER
Budget?

i wanna look first so that way i know how much i should save
Laney GH50L (maybe with a OD-pedal to tighten the sound), Peavey 5150 or 6505, or the Randall amps mentioned above.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Last edited by von gelb at Jul 17, 2011,
I forgot about the Krankenstein, it is a very SS sounding tube head. Just beware you really have to turn the vol up to get a good sound from a Krank head.

Also the ISP Thetta, but thats @$1600 and it's all SS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 17, 2011,
Quote by Robbgnarly
I forgot about the Krankenstein, it is a very SS sounding tube head. Just beware you really have to turn the vol up to get a good sound from a Krank head.

That's just silly ain't it? I mean, you get a tube amp to sound like a SS?

Anyways, the problem with Kranks is that they have a very strong love-hate relationship. Some people absolutely hate the tone, while others love it.

Go try one out TS.

You can also check out the Rev SST.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
dont go for a scooped sound. u can buy a $150 pedal that can get you scooped sounds. you WANT mids for metal, but there is a point of over-doing it.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED