I feel it's time, for a new guitar.

Right now I have a Harmony Arch-Top Acoustic, which I love to death; because it's mine, it was free, and it is my first guitar. But i think it's time to broaden my horizons as a guitar player, by getting a guitar that actually sounds nice when tuned, stays in tune, and isn't blistering to play; breaking my thumbs from bar-chording all the time.

unfortunately my budget isn't huge, probably 300 >

-now. I want a guitar that has a nice mellow bass to it, but really shines with strong chords, and picking. The majority of my playing is major/minor chord progressions, and my tinny-sounding guitar now just doesn't cut it anymore.

Any suggestions, thoughts, idea's, rambles, experiences, nonsense, or help is very much appreciated.

(I don't mind buying used for guitars)

thanks!
there's an ovation ultra series guitar, from 1983, good condition for sale nearby: 250$

good guitar?
Quote by Allway5
there's an ovation ultra series guitar, from 1983, good condition for sale nearby: 250$

good guitar?

Good guitar indeed, they are rather bright sounding guitars though from all my experiences with them so your warm, mellow bass tone you were hoping for may not be exactly how you like. They sound big though and they're durable as hell, I'd probably go for it if it's in good shape, $250 isn't bad at all IMO.
I think a bright sounding guitar is what I'd like. I just don't want something that's so bright and treble-y that there is no bass. a mellow<bright guitar.

but good reviews on the ovation so far?
there's the classic gibson j-45, and dove's, and hummingbird, i just don't know.
you could probably find an old 60's or 70's yamaha fg for 300 or less, if you find a good one they are really awesome guitars, better than most other things you'll find for 300, but mind you they are old so many are shit, you have to know a bit about guitars to find a good one
Quote by Allway5
there's the classic gibson j-45, and dove's, and hummingbird, i just don't know.

Hahahahahahahahaha you're joking, right? The cheapest I've seen a Gibson acoustic is $2000 new; if it was beat to hell, you could probably talk it down to around a grand.

Yamahas are, as a rule of thumb, excellent low-mid range guitars. My first acoustic was the FG01S, which is all-laminate, but a respectable guitar considering the price ($220 new). The FG700 and FG730 are also really good guitars with solid-tops (better sound). They have a little more bass then what you might be looking for, but a set of Elixir strings (which are very bright) will set that right out.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-FG700S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar-103114252-i1149962.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-FG730S-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Guitar-103366639-i1150361.gc

Those are models I can personally recommend. Guild is also pretty reputable, but I don't have enough experience with them to recommend specific models.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Well I didn't know, now I do. Won't be looking up any gibsons in the near future will I now.

But I'll look into yamaha, since I'm coming from electric, after learning on an acoustic, I didn't have much opinion on them because there electrics are knock offs.

Thanks so far.

Do you personally have any experience with ovations?
Quote by Allway5
Well I didn't know, now I do. Won't be looking up any gibsons in the near future will I now.

But I'll look into yamaha, since I'm coming from electric, after learning on an acoustic, I didn't have much opinion on them because there electrics are knock offs.

Thanks so far.

Do you personally have any experience with ovations?

Ovations are one of those brands that either you hate or you love. Personally, I can't stand them, but primarily electric players rather like them. Nice action, fast neck--perfect for the transition to acoustic. However, they do have a tendency to sound like garbage plugged-in. If you can get the one for $250 though and you like how it plays, go with that. At the end of the day, it only matters if you like it, not what anybody else thinks? If you're concerned about judgments from other players, tell them you got it for $250. That price range isn't exactly known for sounding like a million bucks and most guitarists can appreciate a bargain.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
Oh I don't care what anybody else thinks, I just want a guitar that sounds nice.

And I'm not exactly transiting from electric to acoustic, I've been playing my acoustic as well as my electric evenly for a while, and I just want a new acoustic.

The ovation isn't the electric/acoustic kind.. It's an older one.

And about the Gibson notion, do you think it's a bad idea to buy epiphone? It's cheaper, and the. Epi SG I have now sounds fantastic.

For epiphone: masterbilt vs. Hummingbird?
Quote by Allway5
Oh I don't care what anybody else thinks, I just want a guitar that sounds nice.

And I'm not exactly transiting from electric to acoustic, I've been playing my acoustic as well as my electric evenly for a while, and I just want a new acoustic.

The ovation isn't the electric/acoustic kind.. It's an older one.

And about the Gibson notion, do you think it's a bad idea to buy epiphone? It's cheaper, and the. Epi SG I have now sounds fantastic.

For epiphone: masterbilt vs. Hummingbird?

Masterbilt will always sound better than the hummingbird due to its solid body..
Quote by Allway5
Which masterbilt then?

Whichever one you like. Masterbilt is generally pretty good about quality control (at least compared to standard Epis). Again, make sure you play it first, but otherwise, you should be good to go. I look forward to seeing your NGD.
Quote by SonOfPest

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear