So I recently made a thread on suggestions to replace my line 6 30w. Some people answered me to try a Peavy Vypyr.

So I got 2 questions. Would a Vypyr would be better than my current line 6 or the difference wouldn't worth the amp change?

If I should go for a Vypyr, Should I invest more into it to get me a Vypyr 60 tube? I heard that tube amps are by far superior, but I don't really know what it is exactly to be honest. They are about twice the price of the Vypyr 30W.

I mostly play Trash metal and hard rock, I do play some Melodic metal too.

What do you think?

Thank you,
Dominique
I can't really comment, but I can tell you right now that the reaction you will get from this site is that the Vypyr is superior to the Spider. Also, if you're looking for a modelling amp, the Roland Cube series is worth a look too. My practice amp is a Cube 20x and it's been great.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
I can't really comment, but I can tell you right now that the reaction you will get from this site is that the Vypyr is superior to the Spider. Also, if you're looking for a modelling amp, the Roland Cube series is worth a look too. My practice amp is a Cube 20x and it's been great.

This in every way. The Vypyr is vastly superior in terms of what it can do and the range of sounds/tones/effects/models available. The Roland Cube amp however may seem to have less options, but it's far simpler to get a great sound from. It's somewhat baffling actually how user-friendly the Cube is I use them in college all the time
well depends, why are you looking to get rid of your spider?

tube amps are better, if you plan on gigging anytime soon, yea go for it. if not 30watts is loud enough to jam with a drummer imo. and for practice its more than enough, i had a vypyr, it was loud.

other than that, all i can say is the vypyr has some pretty cool effects....but the line 6 sounds raw assuming you dont mind how digital it sounds...

if you can easily sell your vypyr and buy a spider, go for it...if not i wouldnt do it
For modeling amps, I would go with one of the Cubes amps... Maybe the Cube 40x or Cube 80x.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
LINE 6!? MOR LIEK, LINE SUX!!!!

Just kidding. But that's the sort of thing I expected to read when I brought this up...anyways. It depends on what you're using the amp for. Line 6's are great for playing in your room, or garage, ect. But if you want to gig, or something similar, you'll need a bigger amp, and one that sounds better and maintains clarity at high volumes. It sounds to me like you're just a hobby guitar player, one that plays for fun in free time. In that case, I'd say stick with your Line 6.
Well I'm changing because I'd like an amp that would sound better, I used this line 6 for some years now and I'd simply like another sound. I could deal without a modeling amp I just want a decent sounding amp mine sounds ok but not awesome.

Are tube lamps only sounding louder? I wasn't planning to making gigs soon, so if you say a 30w would sound the same as a tube amp in my bedroom, then I would go for the 30 W , it is about half the price of the tube amp, how ever, if the sound is still any better I would considerate buying a tube amp.

As long as I can have an awesome distortion sound and a decent clean, having a lot of effects and customizable sounds is not required but it's still nice to have when looking for a particular sound.

edit : (I own an agile 3100 and a Jackson Kelly ke3)
Last edited by WiZoRZ at Jul 17, 2011,
I'd say get the Vypyr. It's a solid amp and can outdo the line 6 in most areas. Just watch out for defective ones about a week after I bought my Vypyr 75 it just died randomly. I went back to GC and they let me trade it in for a Fender Mustang III, a great amp which can get great tube sounding amplification although it is a solid state amp. I would recommend the fender mustang as it is cheaper than the Vypyr 60 and will not be deffective like the Vypyr 75 or any others in the series could be. Still if your choices are limited to the Vypyr or line 6 I'd say go with the Vypyr.
Quote by musicman14579
I'd say get the Vypyr. It's a solid amp and can outdo the line 6 in most areas. Just watch out for defective ones about a week after I bought my Vypyr 75 it just died randomly. I went back to GC and they let me trade it in for a Fender Mustang III, a great amp which can get great tube sounding amplification although it is a solid state amp. I would recommend the fender mustang as it is cheaper than the Vypyr 60 and will not be deffective like the Vypyr 75 or any others in the series could be. Still if your choices are limited to the Vypyr or line 6 I'd say go with the Vypyr.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not limited to Vypyr or line 6 not at all I'll take a look at that Fender Mustang! Thank you!
I've got a Vypyr 60 and I'm really impressed with it. I bought it used at GC for $315. Mine has had no issues whatsoever. I believe most of the issues so far with these amp are fixed with a firmware upgrade you get off the interwebz. I recommend it. I have some rudimentary clips in my profile. I've heard good things about the Mustang III as well so take a hard look at those too. Either will be miles better than the Spider. Line 6 makes a few killer amps BTW. The Vetta and the Flextone are two of them.
Quote by davem27
well depends, why are you looking to get rid of your spider?

That's like asking "why should I not sleep with this hooker with AIDS, crabs, syphilis an every other STD on the planet, discovered and undiscovered."

Buying a Spider practice amp is like grilling, barbequing, deep frying your own penis, THEN ONLY cutting it off to enjoy slowly over hot wing sauce. It's the worst piece of firewood ever conceived.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 17, 2011,