Page 1 of 3
I thinking this is just ****ing stupid, but thats just my opinion

What do you fellow Aussies UGers think about this?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8273672/shooters-party-backs-guns-for-schools
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
I'm not Australian, but based off what I know I disagree with it. Also, teaching kids how to shoot in school? I haven't even heard of that here in America.
"Guns don't kill people, dangerous minorities do."

Not my feelings at all, just a funny American Dad quote. Despite that, I see no issue with this. Gun laws often do more harm than good, as evidence by the sham we have here in Canada called the Long Gun Registry. Shooting is a good skill to have, no question.
I think it's actually a fairly good idea. Teaching them to be responsible with firearms at a young age can definitely help them later in life.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Fucking NSW.

And yeah, I don't like. Gun laws are good how they are. I'm pretty sure there's actually studies that have been done that say reintroducing guns into areas that have had a gun ban is, to paraphrase, a shit idea. And even if I'm wrong about that, I still think it's a shit idea.

Besides, of all the places to have guns, are schools really a good idea to start?

EDIT: Just for people in other countries, Australia has pretty strict gun laws. The only people I know who have guns are farmers, and even a lot of them don't have them.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Jul 17, 2011,
I am American, but what would have happened if people on the planes on 9/11 were able to carry guns? random civilians have dome more for to save planes than the tsa it seems. also look up Israel, almost everyone has a gun and crime is pretty low, though they have special circumstances, what terrorism and a lot of angry neighbors. who would dare shoot someone if they knew 50 people around them were packing heat? but thats just one side... Obviously there are just as many reasons to not have them.
Quote by Shirate
I think it's actually a fairly good idea. Teaching them to be responsible with firearms at a young age can definitely help them later in life.

I think it's more about influencing the hobby of shooting so that the people in the gun industry can make a heap of money.
yo.

I BELIEVE
I think it is a good idea. Teaching someone how to properly use a fire arm and respect them is a good thing. If there was more of that, we wouldn't have most of the gun problems we have now.

I grew up around guns, shot a lot of them, and so did most of the people I know. We didn't go on a shooting spree. We didn't shoot ourselves. Because we where taught what to do and what not to do.

You can't condemn every shooter for the few assholes who did something stupid.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
Fucking NSW.

And yeah, I don't like. Gun laws are good how they are. I'm pretty sure there's actually studies that have been done that say reintroducing guns into areas that have had a gun ban is, to paraphrase, a shit idea. And even if I'm wrong about that, I still think it's a shit idea.

Besides, of all the places to have guns, are schools really a good idea to start?

EDIT: Just for people in other countries, Australia has pretty strict gun laws. The only people I know who have guns are farmers, and even a lot of them don't have them.

+1
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

Quote by floydrose09
I am American, but what would have happened if people on the planes on 9/11 were able to carry guns?

Guns on planes? Seriously?
Quote by stonyman65
I think it is a good idea. Teaching someone how to properly use a fire arm and respect them is a good thing. If there was more of that, we wouldn't have most of the gun problems we have now.

The thing is, Australia doesn't have any gun problems, because we don't have a super high percentage of people with guns like your country does. In places that have guns, education about them is a good idea: I completely agree with you on that. But in a place like Australia that, for the most part, does not have guns to begin with, do we really need to be introducing them?

Quote by Scumbag1792
I wouldn't mind it if gun safety and responsibility was taught, I'm just not sure about guns being at the school and being encouraged.

Is self defense a valid reason for gun ownership in Australia?
Quote by slipknot5678
I wouldn't mind it if gun safety and responsibility was taught, I'm just not sure about guns being at the school and being encouraged.

No it isnt.

Quote by slipknot5678
I'm not Australian, but based off what I know I disagree with it. Also, teaching kids how to shoot in school? I haven't even heard of that here in America.

They actually used to do it here in the US. I had a history teacher who's middle school taught them to shoot in the fallout shelter in the basement.

The good old Cold War.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
Guns on planes? Seriously?

Look at it this way is everyone had a gun on a plane, and not just one lunatic with a knife or something do you even think they would try to do anything? but that doesn't matter now, because of all the hidden explosives...
Quote by slipknot5678

nope, if it was it would be a major discussion issue in politics though no one really cares for guns.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by stonyman65
I grew up around guns, shot a lot of them, and so did most of the people I know. We didn't go on a shooting spree. We didn't shoot ourselves. Because we where taught what to do and what not to do.
I could say that I didn't grow up around guns, neither did most of my friends, and none of us shot ourselves or went on a shooting spree. Your argument is falls short when compared to not having guns, as not shooting yourself is one hundred percent guaranteed when you don't shoot guns int he first place.
Quote by floydrose09
Look at it this way is everyone had a gun on a plane, and not just one lunatic with a knife or something do you even think they would try to do anything? but that doesn't matter now, because of all the hidden explosives...

guns on a plane aren't making anything safer, it's a small area occupied by a hundred or so people.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by floydrose09
I am American, but what would have happened if people on the planes on 9/11 were able to carry guns?

And what if the terrorists had them too?

The lack of weaponry wasn't the reason why the passengers on the other planes didn't fight back. Up to that point in time plane hi-jackings usually meant the passengers and unnecessary flight crew were hostages that got let off the plane in a couple hours.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
nope, if it was it would be a major discussion issue in politics though no one really cares for guns.

so when someone robs a store they ride up in a taxi, show their cell phone to the clerk saying i have a bomb on me demanding money or drugs?
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

Thanks. I disagree, I think that it should be a valid reason if you can prove that you could be in danger. But like you said, no one really cares anyway (myself included) and this is just an idea (I'm speaking mostly about America, I'm not going to tell Australians what to do).
Quote by floydrose09

To be honest, yes I do. The thing is, these crazy people who are willing to die in the name of Allah or God or whatever it is that floats their boat WANT to die. Allowing weapons on flights won't stop the lunatics, and if anything, will make it easier for them to achieve their goal.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Quote by abdulalhazred
And what if the terrorists had them too?

The lack of weaponry wasn't the reason why the passengers on the other planes didn't fight back. Up to that point in time plane hi-jackings usually meant the passengers and unnecessary flight crew were hostages that got let off the plane in a couple hours.

Ya, it's all just hindsight
Quote by floydrose09
so when someone robs a store they ride up in a taxi, show their cell phone to the clerk saying i have a bomb on me demanding money or drugs?

wat.
yo.

I BELIEVE
I used to support anti-gun laws but they are pretty much an assault on freedom, you aren't going to get around that. I probably will never own a gun but people should have as much freedom as possible in doing so.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
wat.

I think that's how he thinks people rob places without guns.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

Quote by slipknot5678
Thanks. I disagree, I think that it should be a valid reason if you can prove that you could be in danger. But like you said, no one really cares anyway (myself included) and this is just an idea (I'm speaking mostly about America, I'm not going to tell Australians what to do).

yeah but when you take into account all the other factors the self defense reason becomes a lot less important.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by floydrose09
I am American, but what would have happened if people on the planes on 9/11 were able to carry guns? random civilians have dome more for to save planes than the tsa it seems.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I used to support anti-gun laws but they are pretty much an assault on freedom, you aren't going to get around that. I probably will never own a gun but people should have as much freedom as possible in doing so.

What about my freedom to not get shot?

I don't think regulating dangerous articles is an assault on freedom. My inability to own Uranium isn't an assault on my freedom, and if it is, I'm fine with it.
Quote by abdulalhazred
I think that's how he thinks people rob places without guns.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Jul 17, 2011,
Quote by guitarhero_764

So not being able to have chemical weapons is an assault on my freedoms?
If the laws preventing weapons of mass destruction are reasonable, where does reason end? Fully automatic? Semi-auto? Unlicensed grenade launchers?
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
What about my freedom to not get shot?
We have murder laws for that.

edit: ^ That I don't have an answer for, sorry.
Quote by guitarhero_764

I used to be the opposite. I was brainwashed into thinking that Japan, Australia, and the UK were trying to force their culture on the U.S. through some corrupt UN organisation.

I don't support abolishing them, but I support gun control laws. I think there should at least be valid reasons for owning them, certain weapons banned, possibly an age restriction (on ownership), etc. Ideally, everyone would take a safety class before owning one.

I definitely don't think they should be encouraged.
Quote by guitarhero_764

That's not really the point. Preventing murder is better than punishing murder.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah but when you take into account all the other factors the self defense reason becomes a lot less important.

Of course. I'm mostly speaking of how I feel personally. For example, if I lived in a nice house in Brazil (or anywhere else with a high crime rate) right next to a violent slum, I think I might consider owning a weapon.

But that's not like Australia at all.
Quote by slipknot5678
I used to be the opposite. I was brainwashed into thinking that Japan, Australia, and the UK were trying to force their culture on the U.S. through some corrupt UN organisation.

I don't support abolishing them, but I support gun control laws. I think there should at least be valid reasons for owning them,
That's an invasion of privacy.

certain weapons banned,
Yeah I don't see how to get around this.

possibly an age restriction (on ownership), etc.
Probably, although there shouldn't be a punishment attached.

Ideally, everyone would take a safety class before owning one.
Nah that's dumb. I can educate myself.

I definitely don't think they should be encouraged.
They don't need to be encouraged or discouraged.
Quote by slipknot5678
Of course. I'm mostly speaking of how I feel personally. For example, if I lived in a nice house in Brazil (or anywhere else with a high crime rate) right next to a violent slum, I think I might consider owning a weapon.

Yeah, we just ride our Kangaroos and throw boomarangs if we wanna do a drive by.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
That's not really the point. Preventing murder is better than punishing murder.
Prove that it prevents murder.
Quote by guitarhero_764

In our current society, unrestricted firearm distribution would be a living hell. Not letting people do certain drugs is an assault on freedom, but restricting firearms is protecting people.
Quote by guitarhero_764
That's an invasion of privacy.

lol wat
Quote by guitarhero_764
Nah that's dumb. I can educate myself.

You can maybe. What about others?

Quote by Scumbag1792
Quote by slipknot5678

Well you asked about gun ownership in Australia, not Brazil or USA...I know you said that you don't think you should tell Australians what to do but when you disagree with me you're kind of already doing that.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Page 1 of 3