Page 1 of 2
Hey pit. This thread is obviously about the lengths you go to to pay for college if you didn't get a scholarship or anything of the sort.

I didn't get any scholarship and my VA benefits that I received from my step-father only pay for $30,000 of the $60,000 total. I can't get a job and help out because the job will nullify the benefits. So what I did was take my existing prestidigitation skills and start performing for money. Currently my shows cost $300 for 30 minutes and so far it's working well. It's pretty good money and it's not an actual job and the VA is none the wiser and I can help pay for college.

So, Pit, what have you done to pay for college?
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper 1000
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
Last edited by mustaine42 at Jul 17, 2011,
I get paid a full scholarship for working as a Manager on the baseball team.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Prestidigitation, eh? Alright, go ahead. Tell my future.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
My financial aid covers most of it, but I work in a factory over the summer to cover a large chunk that is doesn't
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by ErikLensherr
Prestidigitation, eh? Alright, go ahead. Tell my future.

Yo man. Prestidigitation means sleight of hand. I'm not a ****ing mind reader lol.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
I pay half price in return for serving a 6-year bond after I graduate so it's not too bad. My parents are paying for it now and I'll have to pay them back when I get enough money.
cat
Quote by mustaine42
Yo man. Prestidigitation means sleight of hand. I'm not a ****ing mind reader lol.

Hey everybody, this guy's a big phony
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
The pleasures of free education is so sweet whenever I read about stuff like this
Quote by ErikLensherr

Hey everybody, this guy's a big phony

Hey everyone. This fellow has a small wiener. How do ya feel? I didn't come in here to bash you did I? No. Grow up.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
I had some scholarships/grants that paid for, like, 1/5 of my tuition. 2/5 came from various student loans and the other 2/5 came from working.
working through college also im looking for a job as my current one isnt permanent
also any moeny i get performing or doing the odd musical job
i dont get any financial aid and alot of the scholarships i got where school focused to schools i didnt get into or couldnt afford to go to them

gonna be a rough few years
I'm not a fan of loans. I'd like not to be in debt when college is over.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti
Fender Telecaster
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Goth SG
Randall RD200
Line 6 Spider IV 150
Getting raped by loan companies. I'll likely be paying for my education until I'm 40. Unless I become a prostitute.
Nothing, because the Australian government's fee help covers all of my university expenses until I start earning a yearly salary above a certain threshold.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Government funded over here in ye' old England.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
Quote by Jettski1
I ask my parents for money.

Yes, I'm spoiled like that.

Same here. I must say it's quite nice (though technically they're giving it to me in full beforehand so it's actually my money). UC tuition keeps getting raised though. It's stupid.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
My financial aid covers most of it, but I work in a factory over the summer to cover a large chunk that is doesn't

I didn't realize we had any factories left in Michigan.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Quote by samick007
Same here. I must say it's quite nice (though technically they're giving it to me in full beforehand so it's actually my money). UC tuition keeps getting raised though. It's stupid.

Yep. Which school do you go to? I actually live in CA right now but am going to UT (University of Texas at Austin for those not in the know) next year for school. I'm gaining residency my first year and getting in-state tuition for the other 3, so in total it is around 60 grand as opposed to the around 80 it would be to stay here and go to a UC. Plus its a nice change of pace to be away from the beach for a bit.
Savings, student loans, charity sector grants and goodwill money because I'm from a poor background, and I am starting work at an education company in a few weeks where I hope to pitch to them that they could pay me to freelance write for them during my university year.

It's so expensive
undergrad was free and now I'm being paid to do my post grad
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Student fees are paid by the government where I live, and there are bursaries and interest free student loans that you don't have to pay back until you're earning enough money also provided by the state.

It's pretty sweet.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Domino
undergrad was free and now I'm being paid to do my post grad

I wish I could get paid to do postgrad research! So jealous.

As it is my student loan won't cover my living costs during my PGCE and Masters year

My boyfriend is going to real college – not American college – and he gets NO financial help at all. Not a single government loan or grant. It really sucks, he wants to do the course but unless we can get enough charity money to pay the rent it's off the table
Quote by mustaine42
only pay for $30,000 of the $60,000 total
#firstworldproblems
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
My parents pay for my room (320 euro's a month) and my university (which is 1700 euro's a year).

I pay for my books etc from the money the government gives me every month (270 euro's).

Problem is that I want to do two master courses, which would cost me somewhere between the 9000-and 20000 extra. So I don't know where the **** I would get that money from.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by teachmeviolence
I didn't realize we had any factories left in Michigan.

I drive to Indiana for my job. My company does have a factory in Edwardsburg (Cass) but the Indiana one has by far a better reputation with customers.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
loans up the ass.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
I sit through the classes and do the busy work they assign
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
I'm in the process of taking out loans from the government. I chose that over banks because the banks charge a ****ton in interest. So I think I'll be taking out about $30,000 for my undergrad career. Start paying it off 6 months after graduation. Honestly, that doesn't sound too bad to me.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
after undergrad, owed 95K or so, payed off 25k in the last 2 years. My Master's degree will cost around 5k, since my company is paying the rest. Should have no student debt in 6 years or so.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
I have grants covering roughly 75% of my expenses for the coming year, which puts within reach my goal of financing this whole racket without loans.
My undergrad was all student loans in the UK, still owe most of that, been offered university funding for my PhD to go to college in the US starting in August, just has to pay the last little bit myself, been working to make up the difference for the last 11 months
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Quote by Godsmack_IV
60k? that's for 4 years boarding and tuition right?

My college is about 41,000 per year. That is without room and board. 2 meals a day would cost me about 2300 more. A room is an additional 10,000.

Per year.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
Quote by abdulalhazred
My college is about 41,000 per year. That is without room and board. 2 meals a day would cost me about 2300 more. A room is an additional 10,000.

Per year.

that's just absolutely crazy. university in Canada can be financed for less than 15k a year (or 8 months/2 semesters rather) which includes everything from rent to groceries and bills.
Page 1 of 2