Ok before you all DONT read the circumstances beforehand, you shall.

Okay my bassist has a 5 String bass with the low B, and I only have a 6 string as of now. I have been pretty enthralled with the idea of owning a 7string, and the ones ive played are downright beastly. I am thinking about dropping $400 on an Ibanez 7321, but should I? It would open up a new range and writing possibilities, but my rhythm guitarist owns a 6 string. Should she make the switch as well? I know cannibal corpse, and jack owens used to play a 7 while everyone tuned to b, but exactly how convenient is that?
sure why not
your rythm doenst need to but if your going to be chuggin on the low strings she shuold at least tune down

but id lovea 7 strings if not for chuggin for some jazz playing
buying a 7 would allow you to keep your 6 in your favorite tuning. 7321s go for pretty cheap and after a pup change and maybe hardware upgrades, they make for some pretty good axes. get a 7!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

I own a 7-string (LTD-H-207) and I consider it a very fine purchase. It's opened up a whole aspect of playing I never realized before. You should get the 7 string. It might be inconvenient for awhile until your rhythm guitarist can obtain one, but once she does, the inconvenience will be worth it.
Quote by supersac
sure why not
your rythm doenst need to but if your going to be chuggin on the low strings she shuold at least tune down

but id lovea 7 strings if not for chuggin for some jazz playing

yesssssssss dude. most players i know personally see extended range guitars and think "metal". i see extended range guitars and think "omg so many new opportunities for chord voicings!"
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
If it's cheap and you can afford it...yeah why not
For $400 you could also get a BC Rich Jr V 7 Standard in red off ebay fyi
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Totally go for it dude. It would open a whole new world of harmonic possibilities for you, and it's just another tool to add to the shed. Your rhythm guitarist also need not switch if it's inconvenient to do so. There are plenty of bands that have multiple guitarists where each play a different number of strings, like Scale The Summit, who play guitars with six, seven and eight strings. There are also endless tuning possibilities for a six string guitarist to play with a seven string. Just go with it and experiment. Never hurts to try!
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Check out the ESP / LTD MH-417.

Ibanez 7321 is okay but by the time you upgrade $$$$$ you could of got the LTD MH-417
do it. i bought the 7321, and after a pickup change i really like it. it's a pretty good guitar vor $400. it will open up a lot of new possibilities sound-wise.

gear
-Richwood: stratocaster
-Ibanez: RG7321
-Fender: Fm 212R
-Line 6: Floorpod
-Epiphone: G-400
-Squier: P bass
-ESP: LTD MH-50NT
I've been looking at the pup change. Im thinking blackouts, anything else im wary of. WHat about dimarzio's? How do those play? I mostly focus on a balanced mid and high end, with a nice thick and juicy bass tone. I also love to do a lot of harmonics (pinch and natural) and a lot of sweeping. As for my amp and pedalboard, I've been looking at a Line 6 Spider IV until I get 3 grand for a ****in Mesa Boogie MkIV. I gots a boss pedalboard (Mk-407? whatever the hell it is with 4 presets and knobs) Just a question tho, how hard is it to switch to blackouts on the 7321? If it ends up costing a lot just to upgrade it I'll just buy a 7421 and upgrade, it comes with a tremolo bar.
Quote by kotorfreak666
I've been looking at the pup change. Im thinking blackouts, anything else im wary of. WHat about dimarzio's? How do those play? I mostly focus on a balanced mid and high end, with a nice thick and juicy bass tone. I also love to do a lot of harmonics (pinch and natural) and a lot of sweeping. As for my amp and pedalboard, I've been looking at a Line 6 Spider IV until I get 3 grand for a ****in Mesa Boogie MkIV. I gots a boss pedalboard (Mk-407? whatever the hell it is with 4 presets and knobs) Just a question tho, how hard is it to switch to blackouts on the 7321? If it ends up costing a lot just to upgrade it I'll just buy a 7421 and upgrade, it comes with a tremolo bar.

Switching pickups shouldn't be too hard - I think they have Blackouts in normal pickup sizing? So just solder em in and your done!

The RG7421 doesn't feature a tremolo, the RG7420 is a trem model! (I own one ) I wouldn't recommend getting a RG7420, if you're a heavy trem user, the low TRS trem isn't a very good trem imo. It holds up fine for normal playing, but If you want to go with a trem guitar, check out a RG7620, it features a much better trem.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by kotorfreak666

STAY AWAY FROM THE SPIDER. If you need a practice amp thats versatile and has effects and what not get a vypyr instead.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
You could always buy some heavy strings and tune the guitar to B standard, but you'll lose your high E string, of course. That's a cheaper alternative for the time being because you can always put it back to what it is now in the future (with a proper set-up, of course) if you buy a 7 stringer.