I didn't know if the chord thread describes chords in or out of context or both, so I made a separate thread for it.

Ok here it goes;

I have a progression in the key of G#/Ab minor. This I'm 100% sure off.

It goes G#m7 - C#m7 - EM7 - D#7

In one instance the D#7 is swapped for an A9b5 I believe.

However I don't know if this truly is the A chord or an inversion with the A as root, cause the former would mean it's built on the flattened supertonic of the key.

Anyway, the chord is as followed:

e|-----
B|--4--
G|--4--
D|--5--
A|-(4)-
E|--5--

I added the C# note on the A string cause it sounds like it would fit the sound I want even though I do not actually play it.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 17, 2011,
yea i'd call the A9b5, but you're excluding the fact that it has an added 2nd in it, and that it's a 7th. i couldnt help you name that chord, but i would begin by treating it as an A chord, with such and such.

edit: although what i would say is that whether or not you use the C# makes a lot of diference, in my view. because with it, you have a very weird variation on an A7 chord, but without it, it starts to look more like a G7 with an augmented 5th, rather than a flattened one.

having said that, again you could go further and say that the C# would just be the added 4th to the chord.

they'd both have such complicated names. my conclusion? either A7/9b5 or G7add4#5

i dont know, i may be going in circles.
Last edited by voodoochild23 at Jul 17, 2011,
Quote by voodoochild23
yea i'd call the A9b5, but you're excluding the fact that it has an added 2nd in it, and that it's a 7th. i couldnt help you name that chord, but i would begin by treating it as an A chord, with such and such.

A9 is a A7 with a 9th so he's not excluding anything. The chord is simply A9b5 as he said.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Yup ^^

I know my theory guys, I just wanted to know if it is the right name function wise, or that some jazz or classical musician classed it with a different view.

I figure out a lot with harmony by myself, but it's handy to know other's people view who went before me .

Griff, thank you very much, I forgot about the tritone sub.

Yes you're right, it's a tritone sub from the D#7.

It would still be notated as A9b5 then right?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Yeah, for a progression like this I'd look at it from a Jazz perspective. A9b5 seems appropriate, I've not heard of French 6ths having added 9ths before.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 17, 2011,